It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem Cells Cure Man's HIV!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
LINK

Stem cell transplant has cured HIV infection in 'Berlin patient', say doctors
New and experimental treatments
Keith Alcorn
Published: 13 December 2010

Doctors who carried out a stem cell transplant on an HIV-infected man with leukaemia in 2007 say they now believe the man to have been cured of HIV infection as a result of the treatment, which introduced stem cells which happened to be resistant to HIV infection.

The man received bone marrow from a donor who had natural resistance to HIV infection; this was due to a genetic profile which led to the CCR5 co-receptor being absent from his cells. The most common variety of HIV uses CCR5 as its ‘docking station’, attaching to it in order to enter and infect CD4 cells, and people with this mutation are almost completely protected against infection.

The case was first reported at the 2008 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston, and Berlin doctors subsequently published a detailed case history in the New England Journal of Medicine in February 2009.

Yet another medical breakthrough for stem cells. I cannot understand why anyone would still be opposed to stem cell research. This is an amazing discovery!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
How exactly will Big Pharma charge huge dollars for HIV medication when there is a cure for it?

I mean, stem cells are bad because of moral reasons and stuff... (pockets money from lobbyist)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
use them for their miracles, but be respectful, open, and honest about how the stem cells are harvested. the problem is if big pharma got into that, you never know how far they will go to stockpile mare than any other. with risk comes reward. the problem is that we see how far people will skimp on "protocol" to make money. i would love touse stemcells, but only if a bill were passed that allowed you to clone yourself, then use the stemcells from your clone, but that is more of compromise. biggest issue is the pro life people, and the establishment knows that, youve seen how much fuss a 60 yo man with a camera and an opinion can do. heaven forbid he have followers. biggest thing is controversy.

as soon as corporate entities start showing compassion, and actually having some god given respect, nobody would complain about stemcells, and stem cells could eventually be grown in a lab without any living being being created. they can grow meat cells in a petry dish, would this be just as controversial. the longer we wait, the more discoveries we will make. the more discoveries we make, the more the public which had been so livid before now doubts itself.

i always say, it will happen one day
edit on 13-12-2010 by GenerationXisMarching because: crossing i's dotting t's

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationXisMarching
use them for their miracles, but be respectful, open, and honest about how the stem cells are harvested. the problem is if big pharma got into that, you never know how far they will go to stockpile mare than any other. with risk comes reward. the problem is that we see how far people will skimp on "protocol" to make money. i would love touse stemcells, but only if a bill were passed that allowed you to clone yourself, then use the stemcells from your clone, but that is more of compromise. biggest issue is the pro life people, and the establishment knows that, youve seen how much fuss a 60 yo man with a camera and an opinion can do. heaven forbid he have followers. biggest thing is controversy.

as soon as corporate entities start showing compassion, and actually having some god given respect, nobody would complain about stemcells, and stem cells could eventually be grown in a lab without any living being being created. they can grow meat cells in a petry dish, would this be just as controversial. the longer we wait, the more discoveries we will make. the more discoveries we make, the more the public which had been so livid before now doubts itself.

i always say, it will happen one day
edit on 13-12-2010 by GenerationXisMarching because: crossing i's dotting t's
Could you expand upon the statement, how stem cells are harvested?

I myself find it criminal that the aborted fetal tissue is thrown in the garbage vs harvested for the stem cells.

But I have heard that using adult stem cells is ok in some instances. I admit to little real knowledge on the subject, beyond reading articles like this.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
yea, people, if given the choice will have abortions. now if not as many people have abortions as need a miracle cur (kinda obvious) its going to make prices extremely high, and/or they will find ways to grow them in labs. the capability is there, but not the moral backing

it would make a hell of a controversy when it starts becoming like sperm/plasma donation. if you think about it, the corporate backing that pharma has would want more unwanted pregnancies. =) quite the quandry, but in the end it will happen one day. they could end up paying for people to get aborted, do you know how much that would mess with people?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationXisMarching
yea, people, if given the choice will have abortions. now if not as many people have abortions as need a miracle cur (kinda obvious) its going to make prices extremely high, and/or they will find ways to grow them in labs. the capability is there, but not the moral backing

it would make a hell of a controversy when it starts becoming like sperm/plasma donation. if you think about it, the corporate backing that pharma has would want more unwanted pregnancies. =) quite the quandry, but in the end it will happen one day. they could end up paying for people to get aborted, do you know how much that would mess with people?
I doubt there is going to be a world wide shortage of aborted fetii if in this scenerio fetal tissue is used. We have China for God's sake!

Anyway, I do not see any moral conflicts with using stem cells for medical cures.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
With Leukemia patients stem cells are taken from a donor - a sibling or close relative is usually best suited. It is extracted from the donor, taken to the lab and mixed with the blood type of the patient. Then given to the patient by IV - over time the patients blood type changes to that of the donor, the DNA changes to that of the donor. Sometimes the patient will even develop allergies or other ailments the donor may have had. My knowledge of this is limited and I hope I didn't get anything wrong. Also many other things to consider such an anti rejection drugs, radiation before the procedure, etc. I have home nursed patients long term at home receiving stem cell transplants. I can certainly understand why this would work for a Leukemia patient with Aids - a wonderful discovery. Complications such as host vs graph disease would be a serious complication. I know nothing about aborted fetus stem cells - it sounds more difficult as one would have to be sure it was a perfect match for the patient.

I hope this helped a little - please don't take me to be totally correct as I am not a Physican.
edit on 13-12-2010 by crazydaisy because: spelling

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Seems HIV isn't the only one making the list...

Scientists find way to cure diabetes?

A cure for diabetes may have been found -- at least in men.

Researchers have used slivers of testicular tissue to make millions of healthy replacements for the faulty cells that trigger the condition. In experiments on mice, grafts of the lab-grown pancreatic cells produced enough insulin to control blood sugar levels in diabetic mice.

Although the work is at an early stage, US researchers believe it could lead to a cure for men and boys with type-1 diabetes in perhaps just five years, reports the Daily Mail. The researchers, from Georgetown University Medical Centre in Washington, started with tiny samples of tissue from human testicles.

Using a cocktail of vitamins and growth factors, they transformed them first into stem, or 'master cells, and then into the beta islet cells that produce insulin in the pancreas. The process took around five weeks, said a Georgetown University release.

Full Article

History making medical advancements are quite overdue imo. The stem cell is where it's at...but they know that

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
With Leukemia patients stem cells are taken from a donor - a sibling or close relative is usually best suited. It is extracted from the donor, taken to the lab and mixed with the blood type of the patient. Then given to the patient by IV - over time the patients blood type changes to that of the donor, the DNA changes to that of the donor. Sometimes the patient will even develop allergies or other ailments the donor may have had. My knowledge of this is limited and I hope I didn't get anything wrong. Also many other things to consider such an anti rejection drugs, radiation before the procedure, etc. I have home nursed patients long term at home receiving stem cell transplants. I can certainly understand why this would work for a Leukemia patient with Aids - a wonderful discovery. Complications such as host vs graph disease would be a serious complication. I know nothing about aborted fetus stem cells - it sounds more difficult as one would have to be sure it was a perfect match for the patient.

I hope this helped a little - please don't take me to be totally correct as I am not a Physican.
edit on 13-12-2010 by crazydaisy because: spelling
Thank you CD, I appreciate the information.

My sister who is disabled was considered for a stem cell transplant (she ultimately sadly was rejected) in which her OWN stem cells were to be used. She is still grateful to have been a part of the research study, at any rate.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Bump for the sheer importance of this.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think some people need to do a little bit a research on the difference between Adult Stem Cell Research and Fetal Stem Cell Research. As much as I've read on this nobody has been against Adult Stem Cell Research because nobody dies contributing the stem cells. And this article is an example of the effectiveness of Adult Stem Cell Research. Now can anyone post any positive examples of Fetal Stem Cell Research?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
I think some people need to do a little bit a research on the difference between Adult Stem Cell Research and Fetal Stem Cell Research. As much as I've read on this nobody has been against Adult Stem Cell Research because nobody dies contributing the stem cells. And this article is an example of the effectiveness of Adult Stem Cell Research. Now can anyone post any positive examples of Fetal Stem Cell Research?
I was unaware there are negatives to fetal stem cell research. What would those be?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtaterI was unaware there are negatives to fetal stem cell research. What would those be?

Here you go.

Fetal stem cells cause tumor in a teenage boy

Then he was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2005. That tumor, it turns out, grew out of the stem cells, obtained from at least two aborted fetuses, used in his brain.

The tumor was benign, doctors safely removed it, and it has gradually been growing back since the surgery. But this is the first-known case of a brain tumor caused by a brain stem cell therapy, according to the report—a phenomenon scientists have predicted in the pages of Scientific American and elsewhere. The theory is that because these stem cells are fetal cells, they are designed to proliferate and give rise to new tissue, which means they have the potential to produce tumors. The case, write the authors of this week’s case study, should serve as a warning that more research is needed to gauge the safety of these novel therapies.

Now, of course, you are going to post a successful fetal stem cell case, right?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtaterI was unaware there are negatives to fetal stem cell research. What would those be?

Here you go.

Fetal stem cells cause tumor in a teenage boy

Then he was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2005. That tumor, it turns out, grew out of the stem cells, obtained from at least two aborted fetuses, used in his brain.

The tumor was benign, doctors safely removed it, and it has gradually been growing back since the surgery. But this is the first-known case of a brain tumor caused by a brain stem cell therapy, according to the report—a phenomenon scientists have predicted in the pages of Scientific American and elsewhere. The theory is that because these stem cells are fetal cells, they are designed to proliferate and give rise to new tissue, which means they have the potential to produce tumors. The case, write the authors of this week’s case study, should serve as a warning that more research is needed to gauge the safety of these novel therapies.

Now, of course, you are going to post a successful fetal stem cell case, right?
Why would I do that? You posted one negative. I am sure many hand transplants failed until one took. Same with heart transplants and other medical procedures.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Thank you. That's the response I expected. You really should do some research though on Adult and Fetal Stem Cell Research, and the results from both.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Thank you. That's the response I expected. You really should do some research though on Adult and Fetal Stem Cell Research, and the results from both.
That is actually a good idea, and I do believe I will.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Just wondering, how can you cure something that isn't any worse than a cold? It's impossible for HIV to lead to aids, you can not die from HIV.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I hope you sister is doing well. Will look into using ones own stem cells - sounds like an interesting study that could help many people.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Stem Cell transplants are not reported as being absolute - it is a fairly new medical science and complications can arise.The physican will tell the patient about possible complications and stastics of recovery. Then it is up to the patient to have the transplant or not. However with that said it can also save lives that would otherwise have been lost. I think research should continue.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

We can harvest stem cells from your face and some other places on your body and grow your own.
There is no reason to fear stem cells now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join