It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Filingdales, Yorkhire UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just wondered if anyone knows of anything about this base, RAF Filingdales located in Yorkshire UK. I believe it is some sort of missile detection base to protect America from attacks.

Also apparently we have quite a bit of UFO activity in this area, but I'm not sure that is actually true.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Heres a link to some good pics: www.subbrit.org.uk...

General information from GlobalSecurity.org: www.globalsecurity.org...

Some pics inside the base: www.bbc.co.uk...

The base has a radar which scans for ICBM launches, and is planned to be a part of the new missile defense system.
Don't forget to Google before posting stuff. Its amazing what you can pull up in 2 minutes, so theres no need for gross laziness.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I did do a google, but was wondering more along the lines of, is there anything conspiracy related to Fylingdales?

Fylingdales did get a UFO on radar, it was reported, but thats the most dirt I could find.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There was rumour of a ufo crash site at Fylingdales, a subject on which I tried to find out more info, but drew a total blank.
Along with the reports, I took a days ride around the base perimeter to try and locate this supposed site, to no avail.
The security on site is just as much as it needs to be, and they hold regular public visits, so I doubt there's anything conspiracy based happening there.

If you can, try and get a copy of UFO Magazine from about 6 months ago, as it had a nice report on the Fylingdales UFO sighting case.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here's the info I found previously, some of it long reading, and not all the info is Fylingdales linked......

home.pacbell.net...

From www.virtuallystrange.net...

Source: Daily Mail newspaper (UK)
Publish Date: Monday 27th April 1998

RAF track mystery craft over north sea - and fighters can't catch it

24,000mph UFO buzzes Britain

By DAVID DERBYSHIRE
Science Correspondent

THE RAF has tracked a UFO `as big as a battleship' off the coast of
Britain, military sources revealed yesterday. They said the massive
craft was tracked flying in a zig-zag pattern at 17,000mph over the
North Sea. It then accelerated to 24,000mph and zoomed off towards
the Atlantic.

The Dutch air force also tracked the UFO, but two F-16 fighters
scrambled to intercept the object were unable to keep up, it is
claimed. RAF officials are said to be baffled by the object, spotted
by the Ministry of Defence long-range listening station on
Fylingdales moor in North Yorkshire.

`It was definitely under control, judging by the various manoeuvres
executed,' said a source. `It appeared to be triangular and was
around the size of a battleship (about 900ft long).'

Radar records of the craft are due to be presented to science and
military experts from around the world, who will examine how to
exploit space for milltary purposes at a conference at RAF College,
Cranwell, Lincolnshire, in June. Other tapes of the UFO - thought
to have been made during the last two years are being withheld
because they give too to much information about the radar base's
scanning ability.

However, military chiefs may release a second series of tapes,
reported to show 12 UFOs changing shape in mid-flight.

While the `battleship' UFO is most likely to be an experimental
aircraft or a sighting caused by a freak weather effect, UFO watchers
believe it is further evidence that the Earth is being visited by
alien craft.

The popularity of TV series such as the X-Files has rekindled
interest in flying saucers and conspiracy theories in recent years.

A spokesman for the Fortean Times, the journal devoted to UFOs,
psychic phenomena and the paranormal, said: `The vast majority of
strange objects seen in the sky have a more down-to-earth
explanation. But most UFO investigators would be very interested in
seeing these tapes.' The latest theory gaining popularity among some
dedicated UFO watchers is that the military deliberately release
stories about UFOs as a 'smokescreen' - and that witnesses are really
seeing top secret experimental aircraft.

The base at RAF Fylingdales has been watching the skies since the
end of the Cold War. A large pyramid shaped, 360 degree radar has now
replaced the gigantic landmark 'golfballs' tracking system.

The base has concentrated on tracking satellites and pieces of junk
circling the Earth.

Also check this thread out....
www.abovetopsecret.com...

UK

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Fylingdales aint that secret,
i kno people who have had a guided tour round the place.

Its main feature is the solid state phased array radar, the big triangle thing..
think it was designed to detect launches.

UK

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I wonder how many UFOs they have observed there...but yeah it isn't that 'secret'. Are there any other bases or anything in the vicinity though?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If its the same place i am thinking of...my uncle worked there in WW2.

Its a early detection system..part of the same system used in Pitrevie in Rosyth dockyards.

You can get a tour around some parts of it i believe but other parts are off limits to civilians without clearence.

flyindales

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
RAF Fylingdales has been a part of the UK's national joint defence programme with the US for well over 20 years now, it forms just one of many designated and non designated bases for the early warning system for ICBM and SLBM launches, which in the cold war were the ever present threat, as history tells us no on has the balls to launch these menacing things as mutally assured destruction is guaranteed. However the threat is till there and the new threat is these crazed muslim fundamentalist factions, god help us all if these bastards ever get hold of a nuke and aim it in this direction.

Another interesting base is USAF Chicksands in Bedfordshire, this has a similar role as Fylingdales but more of a comms. listening post, I once worked with an american girl whos hubby was stationed there but when questioned she clammed up and wouldn't tell me what was there. Any ideas anyone?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Fylingdales between 1976-79 had a close encounter of the third kind. This is so secret it is only starting to be revealed

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
when RAF fylingdales was made up of the famous golf balls (long before the pyramid configuration) i had a family member work there as a radar technician, the base was UK owned but run by the USA with UK civilians providing resources now i asked my family member if in all the years that the person worked there if at any time they came across unidentified radar sighting and i was told that one time said person was called to see if there was a fault as they were tracking a very fast moving unknown that was zig zagging across the UK back and forth almost like it was mapping the island this was very clear on radar and moving unlike any plane so as far as my source was confirmed this was a true unknown, i was told that was all they were allowed to tell me as further questions would not be answered.the source is very reliable and had no reason to lie and is not a UFO buff.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kevvosa

reply to post by kevvosa

I disagree. I personally enquired to Fylingdales in 1997 following my incredible and genuine incandescent red/orange sighting. I then contacted the Officer of the Watch as I think he was then known, by telephone, the very next day he got back to me and said that nothing had turned up on their radar logs.

Additionally, SubBrit a reputable Underground/overground base archiving group run by some ex-professional services people, say of Fylingdales:

"On a visit to RAF Fylingdales in 1997, RSG members were told that the radar's software is designed to ignore targets that do not behave like a rocket being launched or a satellite in orbit. It is little surprise, therefore, that the RAF says that the station has never detected a UFO in flight! "
Site Name: RAF Fylingdales.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
intresting post, im glad its been brought to the top.

ive never heard of this place before, but that statement about not disclosing ufo sightings as it gives to much info about their sensors..

just made me think, they can tell is that they tracked one thing, but why not the others? it is because their is maybe to much detail in the radar that confirms something... its most strange, they tell us about something the size of a battleship going 20000+ mph, not not about anything else??!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kevvosa

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Aye, an odd place, though not hugely mysterious, much like other british-but-american-run spots like RAF menwith hill or lakenheath. I suggest reading "Operation Thunder Child" by Nick Pope. Its a novel, but it does illustrate quite well the nature of these bases, including Fyingdales, and how the UK government operates in regard to UFOs. Crackin read too.
From what ive gleaned as far as downed exotic craft are concerend, places like RAF Boscombe Down in wiltshire and and RAF macrihanish near cambletown are quite interesting, both rumoured to be linked with Aurora.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here is the answer to your question -
RAF Flyingdales is a early waring rader station for missiles - It is also a satalite tracking station for british troops and americain troops around the work - It tracks spy satalites around the world that can pose a danger to British/ Americian troops etc etc - I Found this link and it will tell you all about the place

news.sky.com... _First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15195070_Secret_Anti-Spying_System_Protecting_British_Troops_Revealed_To_Sky_News

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Hi,
Thought I would try and clear up a few points made.
The radar cannot detect UFO's. All it can track is missiles and satellites. If anything could detect UFO's, it would be an air defence radar not fylingdales.
There are no underground tunnels at fylingdales, or a UFO crash site.
Fylingdales is part of the BMEWS network, so it's main purpose is to detect missiles. not much more to say really, nothing secretive goes on.

hope this helps, anymore info, please pm me.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
hi there folks,

just to add to the (accurate) excellent post above me:

there is also a less known ( but not secret ) base that is located near to the town of Scarborough on the east coast about 30 miles from Fylingdales. it is a 1 storey above and 1 below facility that processes data from around the various sites.

there is also another one near to |Fylingdales called Forest Moor, i can give no more info on this facility as it is sensitive.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hi Snoopy!

Just to add to your post, I wouldn't say Forest Moor is that sensitive. It's a civilian ran Defence High Frequency Communications Service (DHFCS) network control station. It's ran by VT on behalf of the DCSA, it's a secure site because of it's importance within the UK communication infrastructure, but it's no secret what goes on there.

Link to VT newsletter

Cheers

Robbie

top topics

join