It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do the newbies get rid of the ads in ATS 2010?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
In the good 'ole days before the ATS 2010 changes went into effect, a member who achieved Bronze level contributor status was awarded the sweetest gift that the powers that be here at ATS had it in their power to bestow upon a member; they were allowed to view the site without all those annoying ads and the result was pure bliss.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffd73771ac6f.png[/atsimg]

After the 2010 changes went into effect, I noticed that the ads came back for a while and quite a few members griped in the updates thread but, nobody ever got any answers about it from the mods or the ownership about what was going on. All inquiries into the subject were blatantly ignored.

After a time, I noticed that the ads had, once again, gone away and I was able to enjoy ATS to its fullest again, so it seems that members of a certain contribution level have gained back their privileged status.

With the 2010 changes, ATS threw out the old contributor levels and replaced them with the new WATS and Karma scores.

I was wondering what the newer members had to do in order to receive this benefit or if it was even still possible for new members to receive the privilege of ATS without the ads?

It makes sense to reward members who contribute consistently to ATS because it is the member's contributions which bring in the big bucks for the ownership of this site. I thought it would be good to let those newer members know what were the benefits of contributing to the site and how to get there in order to give them something to shoot for.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
bumpin' for interest.

I would like to know too.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Seconded. How do we get rid of those ads?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised the owners and mods are avoiding this thread like it was the plague, just like they did every time this was brought up in the ATS issues thread?

If its no longer an option, why not just come along and tell us that ATS isn't doing that anymore? If ATS is still doing it, why keep the details such a big secret?

From my experience, the number of actual members who actually contribute to threads is a relatively small fraction of the total number of total number of members on this board. Even if every regular contributor to this site were permitted to view the site without the ads, there would still be plenty of visitors and non-participating members who would still see those ads.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If you use firefox you can install the adblock add on and you wont see ads on any web page
There is something similar for ie8 I believe called adblock ie

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Oh adblocker
Quick run and hide... delete your posts.. using adblocker is a BIG NO NO in the T&C You agreeded not to use it under penalty of permanent banishment

errr something like that

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, you are right, I got slapped with a TC violation and a warning for uttering similar words in a thread complaining about annoying popups some people were getting. Then I went through the TC with a fine toothed comb and found out why lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The ads don't bother me in fact i click them alot.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

There was one that popped up on me, it was like 4AM on one of my insomnia nights, it had scary sound. Of course my speakers were all the way up from watching a youtube video earlier. I literally fell over backwards in my chair and almost broke my arm, scared the hell out of me and woke up the house lmao.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I don't use ad block myself as you can see here where I am complaining about the ads

I didn't realise it was against T&C's to mention it though. Sorry

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Terms and Conditions of Use:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It seems you're still not going to get an answer.
I don't make many threads, I think I've done 2, so I expect to see the ads forever. I try to remember to keep the sound turned down, I've had spooky music come on a couple of times. The only time they bug me, is if they take over where I need to click, like if they decide that day, that they are going to cover the menu bar instead of sitting where they're supposed to. They're still a bit buggy.

Those days, I just switch to one of the other browsers, this site works differently in all 3 that I have.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I don't know what the official answer is, but perhaps the system has kept the old threshold of "300 posts, 300 stars, 300 flags". That would be the equivalent of "bronze" status. If you remember, those who got to "bronze" via 2000 posts did not go ad-free, so it wasn't the bronze icon as such.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So we get a MOD in here, and all they contribute is a c & p of the T and C.

How hard is it to just answer the question of the OP? I am curious too.

On the subject of the ads themselves, I get ads specific to Louisville, ads of things I recently surfed (like when I was considering WoW (nope, considered it stupid to pay 15 a month) WoW ads came up).

I never get pop ups, I would complain about that.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Maybe that particular staff member doesn't have the answer of the original question asked, but they helped out in this thread with an area that they do know about.

As I'm answreing your question as to why that staff member posted, but am not familiar enough with the Ads / rules to answer the question in the OP, therefore will not try to do so.

Remember, staff are regular people too and even though we're online, may not always see these threads.

I'm sure we'll get an answer very soon.

oh and

Happy Holidays.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

But I don't think the question was what is the T n C, it was (as asked in title) how does a newb get rid of the ads, and in post what is the current method if any of determining ads or not.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think El 1 was saying that he and the other mod who responded to this thread don't know the answer to my question. Greeneyed responded to a suggestion of using an ad blocker by stating the T&C forbidding that.

It seems even the mods don't have the answer to this one, it must be a closely guarded secret by the owners and upper management. It seems there is a conspiracy of silence here at ATS on this issue.

I knew I should have posted this in the General Conspiracies forum.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Remember, staff are regular people too and even though we're online, may not always see these threads.

No way your just a regular person... not if you wear what that avatar shows

But perhaps the answer is there is no answer yet. With all the changes to the format, maybe that part hasn't been dealt with yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Still waiting to hear an answer to this one.

I'm sure there are a lot of newbies who would like to know if that benefit is still available to consistent posters.

:w:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I'm guessing that you can take the deafening silence to mean that the answer is "They can't"

Just a guess though

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join