It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antikythera mechanism: Apple engineer makes fully functional reproduction out of Lego parts !

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Third time.. its Babylonian NOT Greek... Research BEYOND wikipedia would show that NEW information SHOWS its friggin Babylonian.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Velocismo
Third time.. its Babylonian NOT Greek... Research BEYOND wikipedia would show that NEW information SHOWS its friggin Babylonian.

No, it's Greek. Unless you believe that the Babylonians made it and then wrote in Greek all over it.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The device is plated with the operating instructions in Greek and is thought to be a mobile device, although mobile for no good reason other than carry it with you. I suppose having instructions means that first off, it was not a unique device but was intended for its use as a predictor, which could have been used for both calendar mapping in an industrial sense, and also for scientific research. But then, and if it could predict eclipses for instance, then that would give it meaning as a mobile device, which in turn would mean that the ancient greeks understood the differences in eclipses.....
edit on 11-12-2010 by smurfy because: Add text.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

As you keep saying. Can you provide a link to evidence of this?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Velocismo

Now i'm sure you try to misinfo the ATS. There is no other logical explanation.
I do read more about the mechanism that you did and there is no one out there to claim that this is not made by ancient Greeks, only you and a paragraph in an article with no references and no logical explanations and you keep on saying that without an evidence or even a clue to support it.
So you just create flame or trolling.
ATS is not for that.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

No, it doesn't. It's covered in Greek writing, as people keep pointing out to you.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In case anyone is interested. The device was built by Greeks. But believed to have had heavy influence from Babylonian theory.

This scheme is identical to a theory of the Sun's movement used by the Babylonians, known as System A.

If correct, this interpretation suggests that the astronomy encoded in the mechanism's gearwork does not represent state-of-the-art Greek theories after all. It is Babylonian through and through.

Note that it says "IF correct".

This is a tough assertion to prove. The uneven division of the zodiac scale could have been just the result of sloppy work by the machine's creator, and its similarity to the Babylonian scheme just a coincidence.

The full article can be read here: www.nature.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Starred and flagged!

That is amazing. Thank you Sir!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Eh Greeks/ Babylonians: the amazing thing is the original builder had to know the correct ratios to create the gear train AND had to know the eclipses were indeed cyclical and not just a one time event.after all the thing predicts future eclipses, pretty good for guy whos whole wardrobe consisted of togas...
edit on 12-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
You would think that if someone is calling himself an engineer and wanted to make an Antikythera mechanism he would... make one. Not a tinkertoy from lego parts.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

He is no Apple "engineer" but he does show how it is done right:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Great find! I've always wondered what the purpose of that device was. It makes me wonder what other wonderful devices our ancient ancestors may have come up with that due to wars, natural disasters, etc., have been lost to us. S & F.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
get ya facts right will ya... its not greek its babylonian..; ) seriously it is..

its not that surprising when you think about the star gods/aliens that gave us the understanding and skills to build such things.

I guess not. However, it would be pretty surprising if star gods/aliens gave us the understanding and skills to build such things I would imagine.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I wonder if they constructed gears by way of the sun. The sun gives off shadows on the ground. I wonder if this is how they decided to make gears.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
get ya facts right will ya... its not greek its babylonian..; ) seriously it is..

its not that surprising when you think about the star gods/aliens that gave us the understanding and skills to build such things.

Perhaps you should check your own source on this - it doesn't claim the thing is Babylonian.

This device is unquestionably Greek. It utilizes a paradigm of cosmology that is based on the Babylonian model, which is only mildly surprising, but it's no question a Greek artifact.

Harte

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Eh Greeks/ Babylonians: the amazing thing is the original builder had to know the correct ratios to create the gear train AND had to know the eclipses were indeed cyclical and not just a one time event.after all the thing predicts future eclipses, pretty good for guy whos whole wardrobe consisted of togas

Not to put the Greeks down, but the eclipse cycles that are available on the Antikythera Mechanism were known to the Chaldeans and Babylonians as well, possibly even before that.

And those two cycles aren't the only eclipse cycles, so the device doesn't predict every future eclipse.
see HERE

Harte

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Well, thank you for helpfully contributing to this subject MC Know-a-lot.
If that sentence is all you can add you should consider not posting at all, because you and your great history knowledge are not helping here.
edit on 13/12/2010 by Pakd-on-mystery because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join