Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Antikythera mechanism: Apple engineer makes fully functional reproduction out of Lego parts !

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+52 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I have always had a fascination with the ancient Greek built Antikythera mechanism and find it truly amazing that such knowledge, skill and expertise was available in the ancient world more than 2000 years ago. This mechanism highlights the fact that our "knowledge" of the ancient world is sadly deficient in many areas.

So it came as a complete surprise when I stumbled across an article and video clip that details how an Apple engineer has successfully recreated the eclipse predicting component of the Antikythera device using nothing more than 1,500 Lego Technic parts and 110 Lego gears.

The video is particularly good as it clearly shows in animated fashion how each section of the "Antikythera Lego" device performs it's calculations. Now this has definitely got the WOW factor all over it as far as I am concerned.

Go take a look and be amazed, as I was ....

Antikythera device constructed out of Lego

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
That is simply phenomenal.

Even more phenomenal is thinking about how the ancient greeks went about designing such an amazing device...

Great find!!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Thanks for posting, great model he built.
It is truly mind boggling to ponder the Antikythera mechanism!
When I first learned of it, it left me in awe.
Most of my concepts of human history changed that day.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
get ya facts right will ya... its not greek its babylonian..; ) seriously it is..

its not that surprising when you think about the star gods/aliens that gave us the understanding and skills to build such things.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Great find !

Makes me chuckle to think what that long-dead ancient Greek craftsman would have thought if he could have seen his sophisticated mechanism reconstructed with Lego blocks 2000+ years later

S & F for you ... well done.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I just can't imagine how much of a genius whoever built the original was, truly awe inspiring!

You can do some amazing things with lego, here's a working copy of the difference engine
edit on 10-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Nice find, just sent the link to my nine year old grandson, not only is he into Lego's big time he loves to make technical things, I just gave him another Lego Store gift card for Hanukkah.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
i LOVE legos! i have been buying minifigures like crazy as of late. and there are websites where you can buy classic pieces and minifigs WAY cheaper than the 'bay.

im amazed to see people bang out real mechanisms using lego.
thank you for the link.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
its hard to imagine, but all of this greek invention was at the time of the rise of rome.

with ropes and pulleys they had put on an automated robotic play
www.mlahanas.de...

they were literally only the combination of two existing technolgies away from steam power engines.

they had a working steam "ball" that combined with hydraulic lifters (which they also had) could have made a complete working engine. a device capable of doing work.

perhaps even progressed to the train, or steam powered cart.

it is so hard after our superior education to imagine such a primitive people, who are in fact just us, in toga's.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
was the volcanic explosion of THERA than really the destruction of famous atlantis?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Incredible what those wacky ancients could do. Move 1,200 ton blocks 30 + feet in the air, Mine gold when we were supposed to be monkeys, design aircraft art that can actually fly, create complex gear based computing mechanisms with Swiss watch like accuracy, etc., etc. And...YES...the machine has recently been thought to NOT be Greek, but Sumerian. Which makes it several thousand years older that was first thought to be.

Sumerians, just this side of Neanderthals, yet manage to create almost everything that we still use today (meaning agriculture - GENETICALLY altered plant species, city structure, written language, mathematics, animal husbandry, around 65 different types of sea faring vessels, paved roads and probably at least a couple more things).

Awesome find!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Brilliant! just think if the greeks would have had legos back then what they could have engineered?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Again.. it wasnt Greek... it was Babylonian

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Wow, awesome. The existance of Antikythera device is proof that our knowledge of history is only partial and limited. S+F, great find.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
for some reason this is getting to me but its Lego not Legos!
2nd line and all that jazz
edit on 10-12-2010 by MrSpiderMonkey because: i'm drunk!

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpiderMonkey

Yes!

I am going to build some Sheeps out of my Legos

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Most amazing thing ever... Oh my... and to think 2000 years old.

ET Tech anyone?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Velocismo

hows that?
second
third

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

Star and flag for you friend.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If people built this stuff back then.. who knows what else they have built..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join