Antikythera mechanism: Apple engineer makes fully functional reproduction out of Lego parts !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
S+F

That's amazing. I wish I had that kind of determination lol. I believe legos were one of the best toys ever invented. Who couldn't love building whatever your imagination could come up with? It was like a little engineer kit.

I remember the device from some History or Discovery channel show, and it amazed me how advanced our ancestors truly were. We barely give them any credit at all.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It's amazing seeing the things the ancients devised and crafted.

What I find even more amazing and disturbing at the same time is.. the lack of real history we have available to us, and correctly written.

What a tragic loss to not know all the things we could or should about the past.

Makes me wish the vaults of real info were found and opened for us.

I want to know, regardless of how it would change my thinking and such.

Definitely a star and flag for the OP on this find!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Very, very cool!

Thank you for sharing the link; I would have probably never seen this otherwise.

I find it very fascinating that people can put such things together using Lego's -- especially the Antikythera Mechanism.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

Very, very cool!

Thank you for sharing the link; I would have probably never seen this otherwise.

I find it very fascinating that people can put such things together using Lego's -- especially the Antikythera Mechanism.

The Sumerian's/Ancient Greeks did it without lego

I had no idea there were pieces of machinery like this such a long time ago, definitely worth a flag from me

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
When I had legos they were just boring blocks. Just when I lost interest on them they started to make the techno lego's. Crappy timing

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
there is a nice little video of an Antikythere device made by curator Micheal Wright on you tube, made sometime in 2008, from brass, I think, must look it up.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
That is an amazing video. Seriously, why is there not a guide telling us how they made this? Im gonna ask the Apple guy for his notes because I would love to be able to build this.

This is a great peice of technology (the original) and I stand by the notion that there are many more intelligent devices out there that will literally shatter most peoples view of history. Too bad there all locked away somewhere (pan to end scene of Indiana Jones with all the boxes (and James Woods)) and that Reaility TV shows are that popular these days no-one cares anyway.

I wish I could go back to that period in history.... even for a day... I will have to stick to Assasins Creed though!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

The mechanism is made from Greeks among many others, and the instructions are written in Greek. Period

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Facts please, not just say something

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What patience to put that film together. Taken apart piece by piece really breaks down the understanding of the simple math calculations derived from observation, but in whole an amazing functional harmony. Yes many things in the ancient world when broken down to it rudimentary parts can be explained without 'Alien' intervention, if we can only find or recognize, and piece together all of the clues left behind.

One ancient mystery I believe that a viable theory has been discovered is by a French archaeologist, explains evidence of how the Giza pyramids were built, Jean-Pierre Houdin.

Nature Publishing Group is fantastic.

I have to admit by the thread title that I was expecting to see, 'artificial reproduction', LOL. Reread the title and see where I came from.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
..?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
get ya facts right will ya... its not greek its babylonian..; ) seriously it is..

its not that surprising when you think about the star gods/aliens that gave us the understanding and skills to build such things.

Originally posted by Velocismo
Again.. it wasnt Greek... it was Babylonian

Well it was found in a sunken Roman ship carrying loot from one of the islands in the Cyclades cluster it was not found in Babylonia aka known Iraq, neither it had "made in Babylonia" written on it.
Of course the politics of the Vatican, as in the known Global authority that keeps a huge vault of ancient knowledge and artifacts wants you to think it's origins are lost somewhere in Iraq or Iran. It is very hard to uncover anything in both countries since Iraq is in a constant state of unrest and Iran, ..well it's Iran..

In the Aegean you just need a well organized expedition and a bunch of the latest submarine technology in order to look out for sunken cities, ships you name it. Problem is that the Greek authorities have to ask a permission from US archaeological institutions in order to start looking, leave alone they won't be putting serious money (unfortunately) in to such projects especially now with the severe depression and such, even more so if the locations are in disputed territory where another NATO country (Turkey, the new Islamic power) fully armed and with plans to annex the Aegean sea some when in the future is making constant incursions by sea and air in to another NATO country (Greece) supposedly for the oil resources that are scattered around the eastern Aegean. We don't have to even think of beginning searches of the artifacts of the ancient Ionian cities (check what Karl Sagan used to say about the Ionian's) which are now under Islamic rule (a plan that was started been carried out even since 1100 AD after that first sack of Constantinople in 1200's and again in 1453 and the NeoTurks revolt in 1920's, the first been carried out by the aid of the Vatican, and worked as a prelude for the second and the third was prepared from the supposed allied countries foreign politics agenda of Great Britain and Germany where suddenly a bunch of illiterates became aware of social revolutions and strived to supposedly form a new republic that later again backpedaled to Islamic rule).

But well.. you can just spout something about Babylonians and just close this complicated matter and hide all the disturbing stuff for modern science and history and politics under the carpet. yeah especially if there is a huge plan on the making about revitalizing an Islamic Empire in order to make some Brzezinski doctrine to work in a quest for the West to ally Islam against the new formed economic powers of the North and the East.

History repeats in circles doesn't it?
Just ponder where the Humankind should have been by now and then ask yourselves what sides have YOU been taking in the millennia old ongoing battle of dark versus light. Everything is related. It's not a part of a supposed "Babylonian history. It's a part of YOUR history. Don't treat YOUR history as crap.

S+F to the OP of course!
edit on 11-12-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Apple engineer makes fully functional reproduction out of Lego parts

I mean, common. I read it as creating reproduction. Maybe some kind of nano machine construction or something.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Cool video, thanks for sharing.

I must admit though, the video editing on that clip was pretty damn impressive.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before. Definitely S&F.

Interesting thread and link to article about the little debate on whether it's Greek or Babylonian.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A great post friend, S+F, I absolutely loved the video and all the information, Regardless who originally built it (I go with Sumerian) it is an excellent piece of machinery. The time involved in not only making this but the designing and the technical data workouts must have been great. Yes some of the people believe ancient man was not very clever however new discoveries are being made all the time which proves otherwise.

Peace,

Seq

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Man and I was impressed when I saw a working bolt-action rifle made of Lego
For somebody to make the Antikythera mechanism out of Lego is just amazing! Just imagine if some Lego built item was found in the very far future what they think about it?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by syiannis

My bad, I should have put my source.... But if you were ATS hardcore, you'd have known... tut tut...

LOL

have a read- www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

wow this is really amazing. I cant believe you could actually make this out of legos but if i am not mistaken didnt the antikythera machine do more than just predict the eclipse?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Lost Atlantean technology here. Kinda like the machined screws found in a lump of coal.

Eventually,it would be neat to find an actual "vemana" hidden in a cave. Supposedly, the Tibetan monks knew of some of these caches of "lost tech".

Of course, it would be used for military purposes.

This is cool to made of lego though.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
im so getting legos now
do we really need the second line?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join