It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else here keep fish? In an aquarium not in a freezer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I have my two Lionhead Oranders in a BioOrb just behind my PC and I am always looking at them as I post on ATS.

So I was wondering if anyone else here keeps fish of any kind cold water / tropical / marine / pond koi and if they have any tips to share on good aquarium management or anything else to do with our fishy friends.

My first tip to anyone would be to NOT get a BioOrb, they look pretty but are a pig to keep the water quality good in.

Second does anyone have any dietary tips? I currently feed sinking pellets and treats of small bits of Orange, peas and sometimes cooked courgettes. Can anyone else suggest any good fish treats?

Failing that just post some pics of your aquarium!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abcd2ace5814.jpg[/atsimg]

Here are my 2 with their Christmas tree. They aren't as cramped in their as it looks in the photo, the tank magnifies them
edit on 8-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I had some fish and I believe you are suppose to have one fish per gallon of water....not sure how big your bowl is but I know the exception is a good filter and how frequently you change the water..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I'm obsessive about testing the water for nitrates etc and keeping it in balance, they do need a bigger tank now but as I said they aren't anywhere as big as the look in the picture!

The biorb tanks are really hard to keep right and I had a steep learning curve when I first got them.

The tank is 6 gallons btw

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have lots of fish.

They are in the freezer, heavily battered. I anticipate eating them with fries and hush puppies.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Well it's an answer thats for sure

I'm not entirely sure it's in keeping with the spirit of my original post.

Goldfish are actually a kind of Carp so I guess they might taste ok, there isn't much meat on them though

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
I have lots of fish.

They are in the freezer, heavily battered. I anticipate eating them with fries and hush puppies.

When I saw the headline, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Yes, I keep them and eat them, no carp though.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Mine kept committing suicide.
I had a cat that would hop up near the bowl, and fall asleep with his arms around it.
I think it depressed the fish.
RIP LT. Dan, and Mrs. Paul..

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I've modified the headline to prevent confusion

I'm pretty sure that Koi can survive in a completely frozen pond for quite a while

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Mine kept committing suicide.
I had a cat that would hop up near the bowl, and fall asleep with his arms around it.
I think it depressed the fish.
RIP LT. Dan, and Mrs. Paul..

I have 2 cats and they don't even register that my fish are there. I've even held them up to see the tank and they don't show a flicker of interest

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

wow that's a huge tank...and by the name is sounds expensive...good luck with the fish....

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I recommend this for all fish.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I have my two Lionhead Oranders in a BioOrb just behind my PC and I am always looking at them as I post on ATS.

So I was wondering if anyone else here keeps fish of any kind cold water / tropical / marine / pond koi and if they have any tips to share on good aquarium management or anything else to do with our fishy friends.

My first tip to anyone would be to NOT get a BioOrb, they look pretty but are a pig to keep the water quality good in.

Second does anyone have any dietary tips? I currently feed sinking pellets and treats of small bits of Orange, peas and sometimes cooked courgettes. Can anyone else suggest any good fish treats?

Failing that just post some pics of your aquarium!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abcd2ace5814.jpg[/atsimg]

Here are my 2 with their Christmas tree. They aren't as cramped in their as it looks in the photo, the tank magnifies them

I breed fish of various kinds, cold, tropical & marine.

First thing is food, especially in a tank so small, do NOT feed them daily, every 2nd day maybe, they will not die if you forget for a few days. Only feed them what they can eat in 2 minutes, and only once a day in a tank so small also. Avoid sinking pellets, get the floating type. Flake is good, I try to mix between the 2. I also feed mine frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worm, they love it, as a treat unless your breeding. Try to avoid pea's, meat, anything that can rot unless you are willing to clean it out after 30min. Definately no orange.

I think you have an under gravel filter. hmmmm, they suck all that rubbish to the bottom out of sight & unless you clean it out regularly, bad news. I'd go for an air operated sponge. Dirt cheap & dont take up much room.

Dont wash your filter thoroughly. Essential bacteria grows in your filter that eats the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates etc that come from poo & rotting food. If its not there, your water chemistry will constantly be fluctuating up & down, messing with the fish. Squeeze it (if you get a sponge) in a container of the tank water. If you wash it under a tap, it will be like toxic shock to the good bacteria & you have to start over again.

If theres a spot you dont see much, leave some algae, its like vege's to fish & also eats some of the bad chemicals.

Finally, try to keep them away from windows or places that have big temp fluctuations. The sun can raise my 3' tanks by 10C in no time, fish dont like that. A tank your size will heat even more. Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Thanks for all that advice.

I used to give them the floating food but one of the fish got into a bad habit of waiting at the top for food all of the time sucking in air and then she would get swim bladder problems. I haven't had a single problem with them since I moved to the sinking type. It's a common problem with Oranders apparently.

As for the filter, I rinse it in the old aquarium water when I do a water change, I try to change it about a third at a time very week or so.

I'm in the process of trying to get a bigger tank, they have grown a LOT very quickly.

I've actually managed to get a live plant to grow (something that everyone says is impossible in a Biorb) it's tucked around the back so you can't see it in the pic but they munch on that a lot

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Yes some fish do get that problem. I believe there are pellets that only 1/2 sink but not sure on brand.

Live plants are great as they also eat the bad stuff in the water. A very well planned tank can do without a filter at all, relying only on the plants, but I havent even bothered trying that one. If you can afford to keep providing them live plants as they eat it, cool.

I sometimes keep some in a container or bucket outside in the sun, it grows rapidly usually & you can cut bits off as your fish need.

Just remembered another treat fish love, mosquito larvae. They get good proteine & its fun for them to chase. I have a few buckets of water outside in the shade & scoop the larvae out with a fish net.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I keep my fish alive in an aquarium until I'm ready to eat them. Sashimi is delic- **** NO. Hahahaha!! Oh God, you're right!

top topics

join