It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many piercings is enough ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Thats a really close minded and ignorant thing to say. Piercings are not about attention seeking or immaturity.l People have been piercing themselves for literally thousands of years...it is body adornment, decoration. Like you would decorate anything else, except its your body. It is much like tattoos, where the body becomes the canvas,

I dont particularly think this guy is very attractive with so many though. There ARE some people who do it for the wrong reasons (attention)..but a few bad seeds in the pack does not make everyone who gets pierced this way. Who am I to judge this man? Perhaps he thinks its artistic...or is expressing himself in some way...thats what its about! People express themselves through art and other things...why the hell not through body adornment? It isnt about being 'content' with how you look, body modification (save for plastic surgery) isnt done because people are unhappy about how they look.

It has nothing to do with intelligence and I would venture to say people who pierce are a lot more artistic in general than people who dont. That is to say, a person who pierces is very likely to be very artistic. It is simply something some people are interested in. Some people are not, and thats fine, but dont hate on those who choose it and make baseless assumptions about intelligence, maturity and even mental health. If you really believe what youre saying, and not just trolling..I really feel sorry for you.

What is it with people who scoff at things like this? where in our journey as a society did it become not ok to do something artistic which we have been doing for a very, very long time? I dont know..but it really grates on my nerves and just makes you look like a really close minded and ignorant person.

If piercings make me different, than so be it. I'm not doing it TO be different, but you know what, if it makes me look different GOOD. Thats because I am different..everyone is different than anyone else, except a lot of people just think theyre 'normal'.

Maude: I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple. What flower would you like to be?
Harold: I don't know. One of these, maybe.
Maude: Why do you say that?
Harold: Because they're all alike.
Maude: Oooh, but they're *not*. Look. See, some are smaller, some are fatter, some grow to the left, some to the right, some even have lost some petals. All *kinds* of observable differences. You see, Harold, I feel that much of the world's sorrow comes from people who are *this*,
[she points to a daisy]
Maude: yet allow themselves be treated as *that*.
[she gestures to a field of daisies]
edit on 6-12-2010 by Xavialune because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2010 by Xavialune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Tantrums?
Immaturity?
Didn't your mother ever tell you about assumptions?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Hm i guess you could say that pericings have a deep meaning to some but most that I know just do it out of rebellion or to draw attention to themselves; belly rings, snake bites and such.

I personally dont find them very easy too look at, I see them as a mask, hiding their face, a lot of beautiful girls (
and guys) mess up their bodies with piercings and tatoos. I think if you are content with your body and accept who you are, you really dont need to modify your look THAT much. I dont get any because they look unprofessional.

If you want to poke holes in your body go ahead, but if you show off, I'll punch you in the face

I want to hear from ppl that have piercings, what do they mean to you?

Why did you get them?

Do you think you could have lived without them? And do you regret ever getting one?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Did I come off as outraged? I don't think I did, and I assure you that you didn't!
Outraged? haha

Looks like someone has nothing better to do but sit on ATS and make moronic assumptions and generalizations...

Not worth the time, or energy.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Clothes are functional, and a legal requirement.
I haven’t seen any that aren’t coloured, unless they are see through.
And that wouldn’t be legal.
I wear no jewelry of any kind.
If I don’t cut my hair, it gets in the way, and draws too much attention.
And it is not me that is ‘ignorant’.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

Punch me, and I will be forced to beat the **** out of you haha

I got all of mine because I like them. I hear a lot of people say "You're such an attractive young man, you don't need that crap in your face" ... but fact is, I didn't get any of them for you, or the guy next to you, or the guy behind him. I got them for me, and me alone.

There was no rebellion involved. My mother really has nothing to say about them (as I have requested, because I honestly don't care what she thinks of them, so I'd rather not hear her opinion...good or bad).

I have my lip, my septum, my nostril, a bar in the nape of my neck, and my ears are gauged out to 5/8s of an inch.
edit on 12/7/2010 by KevinHavoc because: grammatical error

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Here, I will use myself as an example.

WHY do I have so many piercings? (dont have the between the eyes one anymore *sad face*) WHY do I dress the way I do? Why do I look like this?

BECAUSE I WANT TO

Because it is my personal opinion of what beauty is. It is what beauty means to me. That is why people pierce and tattoo..it is what they percieve as beautiful. If I were do dress very inconspicuous and what society deems as 'normal', I would be miserable. I would feel like you probably would if you dressed like I do..like I had on some kind of mask, like it wasn't me. This is who I am, and if your goal was to rile up people who pierce...

Congratulations, you did it.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Xavialune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Can't fix ugly.
edit on 7-12-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KevinHavoc

The sad truth is, you got them for everyone else but you.
And it's even sadder that you can't see that.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by vjr1113

I have moderate adornments - four tattoos, 6 piercings (ears, tougue) - all which mark rites of passage during my journey in this life. Reminders of events and trials, achievements (jewelry), and also - for those who share a similar perspective of tribal meanings - a visual status within Tribe.

It's not for everyone, granted - but I have sadly, seen more persecution towards those who think of the Adorned as nothing more than savages, mentally ill or heathen troglodytes than I have vice versa.

It's complicated, for true - some people take it a bit far or as a radical statement of rebellion in the face of authority and conventional standards - but many of us out there have a deeper reason than just fashion or attention seeking.

Some will never know the story or reasons behind an individuals personal choice for such modification until they set aside personal prejudices and personal aesthetics and connect on a deeper level with the adorned individual.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by midicon
reply to post by KevinHavoc

The sad truth is, you got them for everyone else but you.
And it's even sadder that you can't see that.

*facepalm*

I can see here we're going to go around in circles. you cannot make that judgement mate...you dont know this guy, you dont know his reasons for getting piercings. you cannot make a blanket statement saying EVERYONE who gets them, gets them for attention. Its ridiculous, baseless, and makes you look stupid.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xavialune

Well I suppose you have just proved my point.
But your young, at least you may grow out of it.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Did I really?! Again, I didn't know that. Thank you so much for opening my eyes!!!!! You know me better then I know myself!

No, whats truly sad is that you honestly think you are on to something, or that you have me pegged. You're just another sad little ATS user who thinks he knows the world, and everything about it.

I'm done with this.

Good day, sir.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
In the same vein, people get tattoos mamy times for their loved ones...memorials or faces of their children..Most people I would say who tattoo do it for some reason.

Me, I am planning a very large back piece which is in the shape of a chameleon..it is going to contain a collage of images of memories of me and my soul mate as we have been on a very interesting journey for the last year or so. It MEANS something to me. Its beautiful...it is a reminder of the good times and am expression of love.

you cant just say people are doing these things for attention, you just cant. It just isn't true.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Well I suppose you have just proved my point.
But your young, at least you may grow out of it.

No, I won't. Its who I am, and its who I will always be. I know many a goth who never 'grew out of it'. My friend helen is 45 mate..and I can honestly say I wont be 'growing out of it' any time soon. I've not proved any point. you dont have a point, to have a point at all is to have something worth considering that isnt a baseless assumption.

There is obviously no point arguing with someone like you..suffice to say though there will always be pierced and tattoed people out there. If you do not understand their culture then so be it..but dont hate on it. you spread ignorance, and nothing more.

by the way, your and you're. Learn it please.

[edit] you really had to go to that photo and tag it with those words? are you 12? wow.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xavialune

by the way, your and you're. Learn it please.

People like that don't learn things...they just think they know everything and end up looking uneducated

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KevinHavoc

People like that don't learn things...they just think they know everything and end up looking uneducated

look at the tags he put on my photo lol

If we are immature for piercing, what does that make him?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
geez, I got out for a quick smoke
and come back and ya'll have trashed
my new curtains.

I'm sorry .... I did not mean to start
a ruckus here. I was merely asking
a question, how many piercings
is enough?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xavialune

Originally posted by KevinHavoc

look at the tags he put on my photo lol

If we are immature for piercing, what does that make him?

Yeah that was kind of pathetic, sorta douche-ish.

The internet.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
geez, I got out for a quick smoke
and come back and ya'll have trashed
my new curtains.

I'm sorry .... I did not mean to start
a ruckus here. I was merely asking
a question, how many piercings
is enough?

Eleven.