It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Department Warns Students Against Discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook, Twitter

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I think there is some logic in this though. Think about it: The most people who ask themselves how they can change the situation mostly on their own would consider going into politics. Imagine if there actually were a politician with power who "read and discussed wikileaks". He could legally use his power to overthrow Fed/military/whatever. It is always easier to get to this positions if you "work for the goverment" (what is just stupid because this hasn't to do anything with democracy). Also imagine you work somewhere where you can get your hands on "critical material". Being a "truther" you would gather as much as you can, quit your govermental job and spread the information. Maybe even then if you're going to be arrested for this.
I always found it strange how people always have to go through the system set up by the goverment if they want a totally different system, maybe with more parties or even without (for example anarchie (cosiderring that you want to change the politics this way)). In Europe the most teachers are "working for the goverment". Imagine a Teacher couldn't get a job in an official school because he obviously "reads and discusses" wikileaks or anything else like that (Zeitgeist,Truthwars, whatever). This would mean teachers are only allowed to talk about things that don't attack the goverment too much (what in some cases is already this way).

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sentinel412

State Department Warns Students Against Discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook, Twitter

mashable.com

A State Department official warned students at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs this week that discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook or Twitter could endanger their employment prospects.

The official, a former student of the school, called the career services office of his alma mater to advise students not to post links to WikiLeaks documents, nor to make comments on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, as “engaging in these activities would call into question [a student's] ability to deal with confidential information, which is part of most position
(visit the link for the full news article)

Lol, darn, well, I'm a graduating grad student at Columbia SIPA, the school in question, and I've posted plenty of critiques of the government, including posts related to Wikileaks as well Snowden and the NSA. I've taken the road at SIPA of saying that it's more important to forge honest, ethical, transparent domestic and foreign policy rather than covert ops, illegal wars, or domestic spying. Others, in the name of their expected political or international affairs careers, seem to heavily moderate their criticisms.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Post away!!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: crimvelvet

The internet cuts two ways. Yes you can reach a lot more people but Corporations and the Government can use what you say to "profile you"

Not if you post your sh^t under a screename. I mean, I can say with a certain amount of confidence that "digestiveupset" is pretty far from my real name. It's not like I am going to interview for a job - and the HR person calls me in and says, "Using the name 'digestiveupset', you posted a vulgar anti-Google rant on AboveTopSecret - so we're not gonna hire you." Surely, this cannot happen, can it?

Or take those abominable "data mining" corporations. Sure - they may have dossiers on me that may shock me if I ever laid eyes on them - but surely, stuff that I post across the internet using a series of silly aliases cannot end up on such dossiers, right?
edit on 12-5-2014 by digestiveupset because: Don't care.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The definition of fascism is using socioeconomic pressures as a means of control.

There is nothing more fascist than threatening the earning potential and livelihood of someone because of their political views.

I wonder what Mises has to say about this?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join