It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Department Warns Students Against Discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook, Twitter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

State Department Warns Students Against Discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook, Twitter

mashable.com

A State Department official warned students at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs this week that discussing WikiLeaks on Facebook or Twitter could endanger their employment prospects.

The official, a former student of the school, called the career services office of his alma mater to advise students not to post links to WikiLeaks documents, nor to make comments on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, as “engaging in these activities would call into question [a student's] ability to deal with confidential information, which is part of most position
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This is starting to be the joke of the year. Even the Communist states never did this sort of actions, yet in the country of "Freedom", where the First Amendment is giving the right for free speech, in that country, speaking about clear and present problems are prohibited. Right now it seems the U.S. Government is starting to present what they truly are.

mashable.com

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel412

This is starting to be the joke of the year. Even the Communist states never did this sort of actions, yet in the country of "Freedom", where the First Amendment is giving the right for free speech, in that country, speaking about clear and present problems are prohibited. Right now it seems the U.S. Government is starting to present what they truly are.

mashable.com

Very excellent point and I agree whole heartedly.
Welcome to America the land of the free, and home of the power hungry control freaks we never wanted to be partners with in highschool.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'm curious what will be the punishment of those students whose are actually going to speak about it. Are they going to be banished or what?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This will make wikileaks the most talked about topic on twitter and facebook, guaranteed.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sentinel412

mashable.com

Actually, communist countries like the PRC do basically the same thing, however, fascist dictatorships like North Korea are the only ones that consistently go as far as the US when it comes to threats, warnings and actions concerning freedom of speech. The US is no loger a free country, it is a corporate oligarchy, which in simple terms according to Mussolini is Fascism. Mussolini coined the term "Corporatism" as a mixture of fascism and corporate control and it was to be the ideal society where the "elites" controlled everyone as literal slaves. Change your country's situation if you can, but there is no point bitching about it because it's here. You have to remove every one of the corporate shills in office from power, just like the rest of us have to do in every other country of the world.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I am beginning to believe that the state department, and the government are protesting too much. Almost like they want to make sure that as many people as possible know about wikileaks (I can almost guarantee I know more than ten people who have never heard of it) and thus, go check it out.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel412

What was that? Did that guy threaten them silently? The only thing he deserves is a punch in the face for trying to manipulate people and what they should or shouldn't think. Should people be scared of the officials, the government? Hell no. Why? Why should people give in, help them and serve them? Let their energy be feeded off of these individuals? Every person has the right to express what they feel and think. If someone agrees with Wikileaks, they should be able to say it aloud without having fear of god-knows-what. I agree with what Wikileaks have done. They have done the right thing and they should be able to do even more damage to the government if they can, because what has been leaked so far is just the tip of an iceberg. Hopefully the really mind-blowing stuff starts coming out soon. People deserve to know the truth. How they handle it is another story, that's up to them. But everyone should have the right to know what is going on behind their backs without their knowledge and what the government is possibly using against them. When people learn that science-ficition isn't fiction anymore, maybe, just maybe, they will get the big picture. This is a battle of huge proportions and the only way we will be able to win it over those evil entities is with people like Assange who disclose and leak the truth. The more people know about it, the more people potentionally on our side. I don't give a damn about what they (powers that be) think and never will until they start to behave and earn some of my respect. These students should do the same. Who the government is to say: "oh, don't talk about how we messed up, we don't want the world to know"? TPTB have screwed up alot things and have screwed with alot of lives for too long. Let them be exposed with all the consenquences it will have. Freedom and Truth, United As One We All Shall Stand! Peace and Amen!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Sounds like he was just passing info along and warning the students applying to the state department what to expect.

The link quotes the letter. Background checks for the state department have always been a requirement.

"Date: November 30, 2010 15:26:53 EST:

Hi students,

We received a call today from a SIPA alumnus who is working at the State Department. He asked us to pass along the following information to anyone who will be applying for jobs in the federal government, since all would require a background investigation and in some instances a security clearance.

The documents released during the past few months through Wikileaks are still considered classified documents. He recommends that you DO NOT post links to these documents nor make comments on social media sites such as Facebook or through Twitter. Engaging in these activities would call into question your ability to deal with confidential information, which is part of most positions with the federal government.

Regards,

Office of Career Services"

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I am beginning to believe that the state department, and the government are protesting too much. Almost like they want to make sure that as many people as possible know about wikileaks (I can almost guarantee I know more than ten people who have never heard of it) and thus, go check it out.

Do you believe it's a "reverse psyhology" tactics from the State Department? Well, it's possible. But in this case the question remains: why?
edit on 5-12-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

They'll probably be tied to a post in the middle of the student union, and given 50 lashes across their backs, as Ms Clinton stands in front of them, shaking her finger in their faces yelling, "what ma-ma tell ya not to do pooky". When that's over, they'll throw them on a US Customs Prison Train, and take them to one of those concentration camps they've been setting up in shut down factories across the country.

I know the story says they were told future job prospects would be jeopardized, but i can read between the lines *grin*

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The point he was making was not that the government would do anything directly, but that employers might not hire you.

To be honest, I don't think employment with such companies would be such a good idea anyway. Working for them would probably mean you are a cog in the wheel of the NWO. Don't support them. We need to be making better decisions from here on in; like whether our "job" works to support humanity or enslave it.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I'm curious what will be the punishment of those students whose are actually going to speak about it. Are they going to be banished or what?

He is saying they will essentially be blackballed.

Now a days a Corporate HR department will do an on-line search of your name, perhaps linked to your state. They will pull up any and all information that is "public" under that name. They wish to determine if you are a "Team Player" that is a good little sheeple or someone with a mind of their own who will not follow orders without asking questions.

If you owned a small business or have bad credit you are also considered "undesirable"

You might want to check what information can be pulled up under your actual name and state. You may be shocked.

I NEVER use my own name on line for that reason.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
I NEVER use my own name on line for that reason.

Good point. Of course if someone wants to find you, they can trace you back anytime. But at least they'll work for their salary.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

To be honest, I don't think employment with such companies would be such a good idea anyway. Working for them would probably mean you are a cog in the wheel of the NWO. Don't support them. We need to be making better decisions from here on in; like whether our "job" works to support humanity or enslave it.

I am going to use that as my lead in to a pet project of mine. - Protecting Small AMERICAN Businesses.

THEY:
Employ half of all private sector employees....
Produce 13 times more patents per employee than large
patenting firms....
www.sba.gov...

Obamacare includes two small business killing provisions: "the over 50 employee - must carry health insurance " This Caps growth and a worse one:

An all-but-overlooked provision of the health reform law is threatening to swamp U.S. businesses with a flood of new tax paperwork.

Section 9006 of the health care bill -- just a few lines buried in the 2,409-page document -- mandates that beginning in 2012 all companies will have to issue 1099 tax forms not just to contract workers but to any individual or corporation from which they buy more than $600 in goods or services in a tax year.
money.cnn.com...

This is designed to force small businesses into using credit cards that are exempt from this law. Credit cards of course funnel wealth directly into the bankers pockets AND create inflation see Federal Reserve Reference Thread

FIGHT BACK AGAINST THE MEGA-CORPORATIONS!

I suggest that, in response to the new 1099 rule, use the 1099 rule to flood the government with paperwork!

Heck talk to every small business in your home area. Organize people to help them flood the IRS with LEGITIMATE paperwork if need be. There are plenty of retired people around that could help.

For once get off your duffs and DO something that will hurt!

The key is to remember we have been given the weapons to fight TPTB, and no I am not talking about guns - FREE SPEECH!

I am a small business and I plan to fill as many 1099 as humanly possible but buying over $600 dollars worth of goods from as many places as possible.

I am REALLY looking forward to asking WALMART for their EIN (a businesses Social Security number)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Ahhh and in old english, "Thou dost protest too much, methinks." It could be part of a psyops or it could simply be they like to bitch and moan now that their dirty laundry is being aired. I tend to think psyops myself because this is all very schoolyardish, in that the information in WL is embarassing, but it certainly isn't damaging. Like I said in another thread, if I saw a date in WL from 1988 from the US State Department to the US Embassy in South Africa concerning a weapons deal they brokered through the french and south africans for Saddam with all the names that inked the deal to invade Kuwait, I'd say, yepper, she's real, cause I was there and therefore can confirm the information's veracity, at least that part. Or possibly information on the Helderberg, it's plutonium and APC cargo that was eavesdropped on by Diego Garcia and involving the PRC and North Korea, or even information on the CIA Ops with John Stockwell, UNITA, the SADF and others in Angola and South West Africa or Navy Seal Team ops in the Indian Ocean. Because information in WL is not present with names and dates of operations I would be aware of (I don't know everything obviously, just some things real well), I have to conclude that this is some ploy to further a Hegelian Dialectic manipulation, eg, create/amplify a situation/problem, generate your solution and change the paradigm/worldview to produce the desired psyop result.

Take everything in WL with a grain of salt and for what it very possibly is, embarrasing propaganda put in place to further a US/Int Banker/UN/IMF/NWO agenda (call it what you will), possibly to clamp down on the internet. It could be more insidious than even that however, they may want anarchy. When I was with the military and CI we looked at factions at war with us very simply, if we could get them fighting and killing each other off using words and disinformation, they did our job for us. It was very easy to walk in afterwards, kill a few people and collect the spoils. Pretty standard military strategy...LOL, can this be applied to WL, very possibly.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Good point. Of course if someone wants to find you, they can trace you back anytime. But at least they'll work for their salary.

RULE #1 HR types are low paid drones

RULE #2 People are lazy.

Even if they hire Pinkerton, they are going to check your school records, criminal records, credit rating and visible presence on-line. Tracing IP addresses is a bit too much like work. The fastest info gives the biggest $$$ for the least amount of work.

Only in critical areas are they going to bother in-depth check.

I am not a computer type, however I was under the impression that the IP address was visible to the site owner. IS it available to everyone else too?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

I am not a computer type, however I was under the impression that the IP address was visible to the site owner. IS it available to everyone else too?

It's visible only to the owner, but few moderator friends told me that the F.B.I. is sometimes asking for the IP addresses and activities of many sites. I don't know it's true or not, but I don't see any reason to doubt in the word of my friends. Maybe some moderator can tell this here on ATS, but I don't think so that ATS would be an exception.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
the goobermint is using blackmail threats on our children now?

we should crush them in the most serious way
edit on 5-12-2010 by aliengenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Ahhh and in old english, "Thou dost protest too much, methinks." It could be part of a psyops or it could simply be they like to bitch and moan now that their dirty laundry is being aired. I tend to think psyops myself because this is all very schoolyardish, in that the information in WL is embarassing, but it certainly isn't damaging....

I agree. Has a very fishy smell to it. I keep thinking of Jay Rockefeller and the Cybersecurity Act of 2009.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join