It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job application questions? I cannot believe they are ok to ask!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I believe that, in part, application questions like these are to assist in weeding out applicants before the interview process. I mean, if you don't have the sense to keep stuff like that personal and you actually admit to it, then it could be an indicator of how you would handle business situations. A good rule of thumb is to put yourself into the shoes of the hiring entity and then answer the questions in a manner that is consistent with what they would be looking for. Worst case scenario is you still don't get the job; however, providing an affirmative response to those questions is going to guarantee you don't get the job.

Surely those asking the questions know that. No one in their right mind would answer in the affirmitive. I suspect the reason thge questions are there is because if uou answer "No" and they do a background check and discover you actually have been a member of said groups, they've just nailed you for lying on your application, which is grounds for termination.

I once had a job that had required a Secret level clearance and answered questions like this. My "problem" was that I had been separated from the military for smoking pot years ago. I told them that up front. They said, in effect, "Oh! Well, just say right here that you promise to never do it again." I did, and I got the clearance. The point here, I think, is that though some of the questions may seem like no-brainer "Nos" to answer, what they are really looking for is honesty. If you knew that your cousin Joe, whom you haven't seen in 20 years, was a member of SDS in his youth, I doubt if they would hold it against you. But if your grandmother lives in Russia, you'll never get a clearance.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Surely those asking the questions know that. No one in their right mind would answer in the affirmitive.

I was once a hiring manager for an insurance company. You would be absolutely floored at how many people answer in the affirmative to these types of questions. We never interviewed those applicants. We referred to these types of application questions as "behavioral questions". People that answer in the affirmative were automatically determined to behaviorally fit outside the box of what the company was looking for in new hires.

I suspect the reason the questions are there is because if you answer "No" and they do a background check and discover you actually have been a member of said groups, they've just nailed you for lying on your application, which is grounds for termination.

Surely, there is some truth to this. However, if they are looking to fire someone, it's usually due to poor work performance. I know we kept files on all employees, which included performance records. Documentation of poor performance is sufficient reason to terminate an employee.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

Legal? Yes. A business can ask whatever they want. The government probably cannot unless it pertains to the job IE: Asking about belief in the constitution for a secret service position.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
That was just a couple of the questions I had to answer. There were ones that started in on my marriage, ones that asked for the name, address, phone, and occupation of every brother, sister, brother & sister-inlaws. I don’t mind answering them because I have nothing to hide but it is some serious personal info.
edit on 12/5/10 by xyankee because: (no reason given)

Was the job you were applying for have a connection to a security clearance? Types of questions like these are standard to ascertain a baseline in figuring out the level of clearance one can be trusted with.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Your answer should be "NA" Non applicable. You don't have to answer questions like that in your application. Plus majority of "organisations" that oppose tyranical governments aren't against the Constitution, they typically want to enforce it more.

or say you have never been a senator, congressman, or a federal employee, so no you aren't in an organisation trying to destroy our constitution.

edit on 5-12-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

You think that's bad? I got asked on a form for a housecleaning job (family run business) what was my religous affiliation(I said undecided) And what church do I attend, I put none. HA! I am Pagan and refused to answer honestly, but if they cared to look closely at my jewelery they could've figured that one out! LOL! Well it seems they can ask you anything and even religous descrimination is open season! But whatever. Now I also have gotten asked the questions you mentioned when I joined the military... I answered no, of course, but seeing some of the responses here, I think I may have been lying (unintentionally, of course) because My Uncle was the Mayor at the time in question lol! Though I was a teenager so I hardly knew anything about any of that.
edit on 5-12-2010 by ldyserenity because: $%K$Q%#$) spelling grrrrrrr

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Link

little idea of whats acceptable.. and whats not.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

"Not applicable" would be a great reply. Since.. There is a case going on right now to decide if the constitution (in whole) still applies... I filled out an app once that asked weight, height, eye color, if I was married and a few other questions. It was a desk job. So. Intelligence and cognitive skill questions would have better suited an application.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Hell, I don't know where my wife goes for lunch..

I do. Giggity!

ok, sorry...had to be done..too much temptation..
-expects the approprate spanking from a mod.-

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

But I did find a great girl who loved 'Dom Deluise' champagne!

It's OK, but I always confuse it with chef Paul Pru-dhomme perignon.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bestof83

I would have liked to put that but it was a yes or no answer. They kind of make it hard to avoid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join