It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippies versus the Secrets

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I just find it kind of amazing that the generation of people that grew up at that time are usually very happy to associate themselves with the "nice" things that happened during the time when they were teenagers but always seem to forget about all of the incredibly horrible things that happened when they were grown up.

...(cheech & chong) - daves not home!...

...what you said up there could be said of every generation thats ever existed but that would be as dumb as me saying that no one in the uk has a sense of humor...

...SOME of every generation prefer to look back with fondness on the years of their youth... SOME only look back via rose tinted glasses... SOME prefer to look at the past with an extremely critical eye... SOME prefer the good, the bad and the inbetween mode of musing, depending on their mood... SOME like to say they dont remember the 60s cuz they were there...

...anyone that cant comprehend the realities of their adults years are either mentally ill or neo cons or religious fanatics or all three...

...neither jerry garcia's life or dave gilmore's life are indicative of being a hippie... their lives are indicative of being famous - and - thats not a horse, thats a pig...

A group of self centred egotists that spent their teenage years taking drugs and railing against "the man" and 20 years later became "the man" themselves and carried on being self centred and egotistical.

...two points - (1) being self-centered is good and is not the same thing as being selfish... what you meant is "selfish egotists"... (2) not all hippies took drugs or protested against the establishment... some did one or the other... some did both ... some did neither...

It's not like people that were in their 40's during the 80's were a different set of people to those that were in their teens during the mid-late 60's
Who do you think that movement of people that you claim "took over" were? They didn't just drop out of the sky

...some people change idealogies as they mature... some dont... some find a middle ground... did some hippies grow up to be part of the establishment?... sure... for them, being a hippie was just part of their youth, not a life-long committment...

...also, here in the usofa, during the 60s, there were tons of very rigid thinking young people and it was that ilk that supported the military industrial complex, supported fascist corporatism, supported nixon and all the jerk puppets that followed... if you're looking for someone to blame - there ya go...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Just wanted to let you know you put that all very well/ I concur

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman

reply to post by PeasantRebellion

That was a very interesting post and I am off to check out the links. It is a nice break down of the cycles.
Interesting that it is broken into 5. It is like every 20 years we make a full circle. Cool post

Thanks! The theories laid out in the book The Fourth Turning are what opened my mind enough to make it to ATS. They make a fascinating backdrop when thinking about current events. We can even make rudimentary (or more complex) predictions based on how we know certain archetypes or generations will react.

I wanted to start a thread for 4t predictions, but after searching the site I was surprised to find that not too many people found it as earth shattering as I did.
So I mostly lurk in The Fourth Turning book forums for prediction fun.

<< 1  2   >>

join