It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hippies versus the Secrets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hippies? Let us define a hippie before we go any further. The definition of Hippie I am going to use here is from Wikipedia, and granted they have three paragraphs defining a hippie, but I am going to use this quote for my point of the thread.

Hippie fashions and values had a major effect on culture, influencing popular music, television, film, literature, and the arts. Since the widespread movement in the 1960s, many aspects of hippie culture have been assimilated by mainstream society. The religious and cultural diversity espoused by the hippies has gained widespread acceptance, and Eastern philosophy and spiritual concepts have reached a wide audience. The hippie legacy can be observed in contemporary culture in myriad forms — from health food, to music festivals, to contemporary sexual mores, and even to the cyberspace revolution

Full Definition

Now when one reads the other paragraphs and thinks these are the same people basically associated with drugs sex and rock n roll, it seems they actually accomplished a few things in their stupors.

Without being long winded, seems they can have a acclaim to fame for peaceful minded things. After all it appears the arts and affairs of the spirit were pretty much covered, even if the beliefs delved back into ancient times

One common and not to be denied idea of the afor mentioned Hippies was, for the most part, they were all about Peace.

Now if anyone has a real clear memory of the 60s and hippies, they may also recall that things were a little violent then as well.

The Hippies, as much as they were all about peace were not happy about a useless war,(Vietnam) ,(not that any war is purposeful in the long run) amongst other things and they took to the streets. Yes they actually made the news., and not always in such a pretty way. They demonstrated with their unhappiness about many over bound steps of the government. They Knew something was wrong and tried to demand change. They tried to make a point. They believed they were the "People," and had the right. They let it be known they didnt like the secrets, and blatant actions against their fellow man in their name.

Yet at the same time, their argument was all about "Imagine." Imagine a world... We would really like to live there please Mr. Government. That is reality, that is what Should be real.

Like WW2 vets and their stories of heroes, they are slowly slipping away, yet they remember, and have found peace and forgive.

Hippies are older and wiser now too. They still know secrets are just wrong. They still know old school and one must play fair. It is honorable and the right way, and the only way that should be tolerated. Even the religious folks should agree with that.

Face it, the Hippies believed in Love. They pushed back for their rights they knew as mans right, belonged to them.

Today, some think that is a fantasy world. Really? Must it be? Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier if all just erase all the lines and share the bread the wine?

What is really wrong with this whole picture? What is the irony? One must fight for peace? WHY? What is wrong with that picture? For millenniums this has gone on.

Does it magically stop on 12-21-12? Will it take total kaos of truths reviled? Will it take the bright shiny youth, the spawns of old hippies to get it right? Do they see the writing on the wall?

We old hippies are tired of fussing about it, can you achieve the Stars, The Heart of Love, The Reality of what some call fantasy? Peace without secrets?
Can they Imagine and make it happen the only way?

Spill the dirt, lance the wound, get er done...???

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 2010/12/5 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I am not nearly old enough to have seen the movement in the 60's, but to me hippies are not the people that just never clean themselves and indulge in almost as much patchouli oil as lsd. (I call these "trippies")
I like to think of hippies as your every day folks like the guy who says hello to a stranger, the woman who grows her organic vegetables and then has a music party and feeds everyone amazing food, the couple with a new born baby who lives sustainably off the grid and survives off hard work and barely any money.
To me these are the real hippies, and these are my friends. I live in a small "hippie" town in western canada but you really wouldn't know it was a "hippie" from one walk downtown. It's all about the community and helping out your neighbor. I work in the coffee shop and almost ever evening i end up having a conversation with a stranger about, environment, conspiracies, spirituality, politics ect.

We are the ones who look deeper.
We are the hippies of today.
We are neighbors.
Say hello!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

We are the ones who look deeper.
We are the hippies of today.
We are neighbors.
Say hello!

That, is the BEST thing I have read here in a long, long time. Hello. I think I need to move.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Even though I'm only 25, I have a great love for the 60's, for that era.
I respect what the hippies did, and tried to do back then.
I generally hang out with the people my age that consider themselves "hippies". They wear tiedye, listen to the dead, smoke pot, etc... but the only thing they're missing is the political side. They could care less about what's going on in the world. Except marijuana legalization, they mostly care about where the next music fest is.
I think it's sad really.

Power to the old hippies! Wish all your passion for changing society had trickled down to my generation, and not just the drugs.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I remember those San francisco days...
The hurley burly renessance fair that was haight street almost every day....we had a little store called the Art Owl store just beside david stone school,used to sell art supplies, and posters etc etc.
We did our own art projects,Light projectors,a movie,a couple of different portrait methods....and every moday wed go down to the basement and wed jam all day and nite long....playin the blues....It was a magic existance for a short time.....

I can tell you tmost hippies never gave up their dreams even if they had to postpone the more radical ones to raise their children....people i knew back then are basically still the same today, maybe some,a bit more well off, but their core values have not withered away ....
The pricipal of love has never been more applicable to solving our worlds problems.

Perhaps there are those who have never heard of a" free store"but the diggers(a hippy sect) ran one back in 66 even...
If you had extra you dropped it off, no matter what it was....
If you needed anything in the store it was free to take home and to share....
Food clothes toys anything and everything free to those in need.
It was the very best years of my life bar none.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

Perhaps there are those who have never heard of a" free store"but the diggers(a hippy sect) ran one back in 66 even...
If you had extra you dropped it off, no matter what it was....
If you needed anything in the store it was free to take home and to share....
Food clothes toys anything and everything free to those in need.
It was the very best years of my life bar none.

I'm too young to know about that, but that sounds wonderful.
Of course that would never work in today's world... people would take advantage of that. Too much greed.
I'm jealous of those of you who were lucky enough to enjoy that heyday

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I remember well the days when love and tolerance was our creed. There was color, sharing, brotherhood and a sense of community that's hard to describe. It still can be found in counter culture groups but much more rare.

I still cling to the sex, drugs and rock and roll ethos, long hair and bearded and being called a hippie is no insult; but I have learned the rules of entrepreneurship and how to make it and thrive in the capitalist system and still maintain a spirit of peace and love.
But I will not tolerate being abused, socially or in the marketplace. I am a caring and honorable man and I expect nothing less from those I come in contact with.

Namaste
edit on 5-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

I am a hippie. I was born and raised in the turbulent 60's, when asked in 2nd grade what I wanted to be when I grow up, I answered, a hippie.

I saw much violence on tv, I was growing up on military bases, my father a senior master sargeant in the USAF, a career serviceman, his dedication to our country was never lost on me. I appreciated and understood the need for military and military action, however even he disagreed with the vietnam war.

I was taught nuclear survival techniques by my elementary school, even told how I would probably wind up with people I didn't know, and to be quiet around them. How to make water with a plastic bag or a bottle, not to eat food unless it is from a can, ect.

I was scared of this old world and the people running it. The ones who made sense, were the hippies, spreading a message of love, and world peace. And I never thought, I still don't think, that world peace is impossible. The music spoke volumes to us. Every word spoke what was in your heart.

My view on the world today is that everyone needs love, as corny as that might sound, it really is the answer.

And by the way, almost 50 isn't as old as I thought it was when I was younger, I am very active, I love to get out, I sing I dance, I spend a lot of time enjoying the company of friends and family, I get told all the time how I look many years younger than I am, and I think the same thing about most of my friends. Maybe it was all that peace in our hearts that kept us young!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
my moms was a bigtime hippy my more of lenardskynard hippy. and now im growing up i say i am a hippy as well in a modern sence
my wife and i are avid cammpers a good season we camp for about a month and half of the year maybe two months . i am musician and she small local credit union . im definitely a libertarian love blues/pyhcadelic music acoustic . and some other hobbies wont mention due t&c...
back topic secrets are dark by nature other wise we would all know them ya know?
edit on 5-12-2010 by jplaysguitar because: forgive chopyness of my post im on on screen keyboard dad is skynard hippy lol sry -peace

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
[Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]

reply to post by casijones

Actually, you said you were 25. I am even a little bit younger than you and this past summer I spent a couple months on one of my favorite little islands in the pacific northwest, and slept outside through the summer (barley even used a tent). The free store was one of my favorite things about this place. Great community and so many people give to the free store. Plus all trash has to take at least 2 ferries to get off the island so the people realize a bit more that we need to recycle our stuff more (and I don't mean throwing it in the blue bin. more reusing).
I could go on for a while about this amazing place and the people and wildlife and natural beauty, but I will leave it at, yes, it can work now. it works great actually! I am working on starting one in the town I live in.

Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

edit on 2010/12/5 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Well that makes me feel good to be wrong for once lol! Glad to hear that. I would like to try to start that in my area, but i have doubts about it working here. I guess I won't know til I try though!

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by casijones

yeah its not an easy thing to do everywhere.
in the town i live in there are 2 days a year (one in the spring and one in the fall) called "trash for treasure day" and everyone puts out all their stuff they don't need anymore! if you have a truck, you can outfit a house, plus get tons of other great useful things.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Another one that does not really understand the hippies,

I was one of those hippies and there were a number of types of hippies.

There were city hippies and country hippies.
Country hippies never really got along with the city hippies they were just to lazy.
Back to earth hippies and the mining hippies that worked the mother-load area of Calif. (did some of that)
there were the boat hippies that lived in the delta of calif or lived in a small harbor in San Diego calif
There were the climbing hippies that lived at Camp 4 in Yosemite National Park in the summer. (hung there for a while)
There were the nudist hippies at a half dozen nudist communes around Calif. (i did time at these.)

And you would not believe the numbers of us that did time in the military. Mostly as volunteers in the navy or air force and some in the coast guard as we did not want to get drafted into the Army or Marines as the DIs somehow found out who the ex hippies were and gave them he**.
Many of us hippies actually worked for a living. we built buses into homes or or started commune farms. ECT ECT ECT.
Some of us actually went back to being hippies after the military.
Many of us never went along with the anti war hippies as many of them were the city type and lazy good for nothing that sometimes came out to the country hippies communes and wanted to live off us.
Some of us had strange trades and jobs but we worked.
edit on 5-12-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I love this thread.

I was born in 72, on Thanksgiving Day. My mom's Thanksgiving "turkey".

I don't remember any hippies, other than the negative portrayals you get off of the television from the 60s (which was what was in synidcation during my youth....I Dream Of Jeanie, Beverly Hillbillies, Brady Bunch, etc, etc).

Other than the smelling bad part, i never had a problem with hippies as a child. My mom is a WASP, and i had some Fundie grandparents on my dads side. But my mom was a hippie at heart....she just could never bring herself to "sin".

LOL, it is a wonder. I am a "deist", if i can be classified. And until about a year ago had hair down to my butt. Of course, being large, i looked more like a viking than a hippie.

But i practice nonviolence, even against insects. If my son would eat any vegetables at all, i would like be a vegetarian. I prefers vegetables and grains, unless we are talking about bacon. I don't think i could ever quit bacon.

I hold concepts of liberty more dear to my heart than anything, and will take to the streets the moment i see that I am not the only one taking to the streets (a group has some leverage, a single person is just insane).

I think the whole "hippy" movement just kind of advanced and mainstreamed itself, became part of the mindset of the progeny of those who were actually there. My mom was no hippy, but my uncle was. And i spent a lot of time around him. My mom is just the most gentle saint I have ever known. Her example has made me a pacifist.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Wow how great it is to wake up to all these great stories you all have shared. The free store sounds awesome. Trying to imagine what would happen if a bunch of those started popping up all over town.

Im from the late 50's myself, and I know I still maintain my easy going ways. I have often had dreams of being able to buy enough land to form a small community of like minded people. I just cant help but believe man is really suppose to live in peace. Seems a lot of people just want to be left alone and have their peace. It is almost like the ultimate goal to reach.

Will the youth pick up were we left off and try to continue a movement towards that ultimate goal? Are they even aware there may be one? I hate to think they have really been dumbed down enough to the point of apathy. Where will the spark come from? Which secret revealed might it be to be the wake up call?
edit on 5-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Thank you for this thread.

Being reminded of those hippie years starts my day off in a pleasant mood.

Those were very special times. I didn't want it to end.

Eventually I had to join society, have a business of my own, raise my family and work to one day retire and return to my hippie life.

I have retired. Now I spend my time raising a few farm animals and the food we eat.

A true hippie never loses their peaceful heart and love for others.

Those were the days of hope and peace even as a war raged on in Vietnam.

Make love not war.

Peace and love to you and yours.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I am glad you folks are enjoying this thread. I can't help but wonder what John Lennon would think about in this day and age and what kind of music would he use to express his thoughts. But then I think perhaps he all ready wrote the greatest and to bad it wasn't our national anthem.... Imagine...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
*waves*

I was 20 years old in October of 1966 when first introduced to the movement. My initial contact was, of course, through music, and specifically Painted Black by the Rolling Stones. You might say it 'woke me up'. Something in the lyrics, likely, because it set my imagination on fire.

From that moment to today, I have always been interested in anything and everything to do with VISIONS. In all the aspects of the hippie movement, you could find traces of those visions, whether it was in the art of Peter Max or the guitar riffs of Jimi Hendrix, the more I became interested, the deeper the Rabbit Hole went.

It was all about what was behind the curtain of reality in my case and it's something I've never stopped researching... ever.

That's my lasting form of hippiedom.

I'd be interested in hearing more from others who are also experienced
edit on 5/12/10 by masqua because: needed an 'of'

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Great thread best one iv read here in a while. Thanks for the music and the drugs.

We need a renaissance not a revoloution.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The real Irony is that it's people from that generation that have helped mould the world into the way it is now. Do you think all of those people that were 18 in 1968 just disappeared?
No they turned into the politicians / business owners / bankers / stock brokers and everyone else that oversaw the Reagan / Thatcher years and made everything in the world about profit.

All of their peace and love ethos got thrown out of the window when they got the chance of owning a Porche and a house

Damn hippies

edit on 5-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join