It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HUGE PLANET SIGHTING 10 YEARS AGO.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Nope, i live in a suburban area. So there's no major factories/smokestacks near where i am.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

The reason I asked about heat sources, is they can create atmospheric distortions. And those atmospheric distortions are capable of creating optical effects.

Here's an example of something resulting from a heat source, it could have an appearance larger than the moon and might look more like a planet if viewed underneath it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f2ca4262314b.jpg[/atsimg]It was also transient in nature but it lasted a little longer than what you described.

However ground based heat sources are only one possibility for the origin of atmospheric distortions/effects. There are some really violent distortions in the atmosphere, especially if a pressure front just moved through the area or if a storm was forming. Anything like that happening at the time? or would you know if a pressure front moved through the area?

These disturbances are so violent they have been known to knock planes out of the sky, so anything along these lines could possibly produce some strange optical effects that might be like you described.

By the way, where did you get your artwork if the object? It reminds me of the evil entity in the movie "The Fifth Element"

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Could it have been a solar eclipse?

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Why did it take 10 years for us to get a report?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Why did it take 10 years for us to get a report?

That's a lot sooner than you'll get a report like this from me. If I can't take pictures of it, I ain't tellin nobody about it!

But I admire the courage of people that do and I believe they see some really strange stuff!

So my guess would be it takes 10 years to work up the courage?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Hey Dino, thank you for taking an interest and asking some good questions. Btw your avatar is awesome.

Sadly, I can't take credit for creating it, but thank you. I thought so as well.

Well, the very appearance of it looked like a planet in the distance. The surface, everything about it suggested so. If you were in my shoes during that event, you would agree in an instant.

What does "in the distance" mean? Relative to what? This seems a bit circular. To determine distance intuitively at a glance, you'd have to already have some sense of size, and vice versa, which is why I question your alleged perception.

It couldn't have been my eyes. I didn't blink. I was staring at the sky for a few seconds prior to the object appearing, and i didn't move before or duing the sighting.

How does it follow from any of that "It couldn't have been [your] eyes?"

My description of the event has stayed with me ever since it took place. "A dark planet, rivers of fire, dark plumes of smoke" The following is what i've been saying every night before bed so i'd never forget the image and event that took place that night.

Okay, but that doesn't mean your description is accurate or that anything was even there.

I don't trust everything the media says.

Neither do I, but that's hardly a reason to invoke a conspiracy about this.

Besides what i saw and what the reporter said, didn't match up. Like i said before, a planet & a shooting star are two very different things.

It has not been established that you observed a planet, only that you apparently think you did.

The mind, brain whatever you want to call it is a mysterious thing. It chooses what to remember and how well it remembers it.

It's just strange that you "remember" enough to tell your story and vehemently assert a defense of sorts, but not enough for anyone to analyze your claim conclusively.

I don't expect you to fully understand, but when you experience something like the following. It impacts your very life in such a way... It's unforgettable.

When you jump to conclusions like "planet" and hold onto them for so many years, rationalizing them to yourself all the while, I do understand that. You yourself have conceded that the human brain "is a mysterious thing."

The reason i still remember it's exact appearance is simple. After the encounter, i quickly scribbled down the event and what i saw.

In summary, you're confident in your story because you, as a child, wrote a description of the alleged object "[after] the encounter." So you don't really remember the object in that much detail, but you're basing it on what you scribbled down as a child, while assuming the initial perception was accurate in the first place.

Then locking it away in a safe (don't ask me why, it just felt precious to me).

Okay.

Plus at a young age, writing a full analysis report and every exact detail is somewhat foreign to me...

See the "It's just strange..." segment above.

By the way. The direction i was facing.... It was Up.

In the sky, most everything above the neighborhood of the horizon is "up" to an observer on the surface. Do you mean "straight up," as in your zenith?

I know what i saw.

I'm willing to grant for argument that you really believe that.

The detail over time was written down literally 30mins after the event took place, and i've been reciting what i've seen every night before bed.

Regardless, you have Ockham's Razor and a host of physical laws at odds with your claim. Planets don't pop in and out of view as you have described. Even if everything you have recounted is 100% accurate in terms of what you experienced that night, "HUGE PLANET SIGHTING" is still a woefully poor explanation for the event. That you saw something and misinterpreted it, or you just imagined something -- much better explanations, given the data at hand.

It's my word against yours in the end, resulting in a never-ending cycle of arguments and opinions. A perfectly natural process. Something i've learned to accept.

I wasn't there. I don't have a "word." I'm just skeptical of your claim, for reasons I think I've elucidated clearly.

But please, if you could think of what i'm saying as the truth... for just a moment!

I'm not really questioning the "truth" of your purported observation, as I have no reason to do so yet. I'm fine with acknowledging that you saw something, and you really believe your description to be accurate.

How is what i saw possible? What would make it possible? This is what i'm trying to uncover.

It is possible that you saw something and misinterpreted it, or you just imagined something. Both of these mundane explanations account for the phenomenon, and they do not require us to invoke magical pop-in planets or a so-called "inter-dimensional sighting" (as someone else suggested).
edit on 5-12-2010 by UndeadDinosaur because: correction

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by aRogue

The reason I asked about heat sources, is they can create atmospheric distortions. And those atmospheric distortions are capable of creating optical effects.

Here's an example of something resulting from a heat source, it could have an appearance larger than the moon and might look more like a planet if viewed underneath it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f2ca4262314b.jpg[/atsimg]It was also transient in nature but it lasted a little longer than what you described.

However ground based heat sources are only one possibility for the origin of atmospheric distortions/effects. There are some really violent distortions in the atmosphere, especially if a pressure front just moved through the area or if a storm was forming. Anything like that happening at the time? or would you know if a pressure front moved through the area?

These disturbances are so violent they have been known to knock planes out of the sky, so anything along these lines could possibly produce some strange optical effects that might be like you described.

By the way, where did you get your artwork if the object? It reminds me of the evil entity in the movie "The Fifth Element"

During the sighting, the night sky was clear and calm without a cloud in sight. It was a typical humid night with no breeze. I don't remember if there was a storm before or afterwards though. The object i saw didn't form over a period of time. It just appeared and vanished within a second. So optical effects from a heat source is ruled out. Thank you for taking the time and effort in showing me that though.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
Could it have been a solar eclipse?

Just a thought.

Nope, i'm afraid it wasn't.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
It looks like the "evil planet" from the movie "The Fifth Element":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9da83d7e55e6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

What does "in the distance" mean? Relative to what? This seems a bit circular. To determine distance intuitively at a glance, you'd have to already have some sense of size, and vice versa, which is why I question your alleged perception.

What i meant by "in the distance" was outside our atmosphere. It could very well have been outside our solar system as well. But then that would mean this object would be tremendous in size. The exact size of the object has dwindled in my memory over the years. What i do know though is that it was definitely larger than the moon.

I'm sorry i'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what you're trying to ask here.

Okay, but that doesn't mean your description is accurate or that anything was even there.

Understandable and agreeable from where you're standing.

Neither do I, but that's hardly a reason to invoke a conspiracy about this..

Based on what i saw, i say it's a good reason entirely to invoke a conspiracy about this.

It has not been established that you observed a planet, only that you apparently think you did.

Once again, understandable and agreeable from where you're standing.

It's just strange that you "remember" enough to tell your story and vehemently assert a defense of sorts, but not enough for anyone to analyze your claim conclusively.

I wasn't aware of putting up defences in my story, i'm just telling you how i saw it... You're free to ask as many questions as you like, i'm glad to answer them all in the best possible way i can.

When you jump to conclusions like "planet" and hold onto them for so many years, rationalizing them to yourself all the while, I do understand that. You yourself have conceded that the human brain "is a mysterious thing."

If i replaced a planet with a plane, would you still think i'd be jumping to conclusions? No would be my answer. Yes the brain is very facinating!

In summary, you're confident in your story because you, as a child, wrote a description of the alleged object "[after] the encounter." So you don't really remember the object in that much detail, but you're basing it on what you scribbled down as a child, while assuming the initial perception was accurate in the first place..

I remember a lot from that night in great detail. The scribbling down on paper was a mere anchor to what i saw. In other words, whenever i drifted into a sense of doubt, that piece of paper would assert what i saw indeed took place in reality.

See the "It's just strange..." segment above.

No i do not, i'm sorry.

In the sky, most everything above the neighborhood of the horizon is "up" to an observer on the surface. Do you mean "straight up," as in your [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenith]zenith

Most probably not true Zenith then. It would have been South-Eastern facing upwards.

Regardless, you have Ockham's Razor and a host of physical laws at odds with your claim. Planets don't pop in and out of view as you have described. Even if everything you have recounted is 100% accurate in terms of what you experienced that night, "HUGE PLANET SIGHTING" is still a woefully poor explanation for the event. That you saw something and misinterpreted it, or you just imagined something -- much better explanations, given the data at hand.

The title was merely to attract attention so people could visit the thread and answer the one question i hoped would be answered, and i thank those who have done so already. I know the basics of physical laws and off-course i know what i'm saying is utter lunacy. Even i admit that... but i know (and believe) what i saw. I know it's hard for you to comprehend that. But hey, that's only natural. Haha, Dino... how much data would it take for you to actually believe my account as truth? I deal with people like you everyday and no amount will ever convice your type.

It is possible that you saw something and misinterpreted it, or you just imagined something. Both of these mundane explanations account for the phenomenon, and they do not require us to invoke magical pop-in planets or a so-called "inter-dimensional sighting" (as someone else suggested).
edit on 5-12-2010 by UndeadDinosaur because: correction

It's possible. By the way, is it that difficult for you to answer my question though? If so i understand and respect your decision. Thanks again for the questions.
edit on 5-12-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
It looks like the "evil planet" from the movie "The Fifth Element":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9da83d7e55e6.jpg[/atsimg]

Haha, it sure does. It didn't feel evil and there was no sense of fear when i saw the object though.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

I'm one of those nutty Nibiru believers (if only i could get my ass to Tibet to high ground before it's too late, but that's a topic for another thread). Anyway... did the thing you saw just kind of "wink in and out"? Did it seem looming like it was really a three dimensional object, or did it seem like a clever projection, like what you may have heard about Project Bluebeam?

edit on 12/5/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
And then there's this from the 2002 remake of "The Time Machine":

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abaf28cd06e1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Holograms/projections have always been on my mind. It would seem logical...

The planet appeared and vanished in thin air. No blinking. No flashing of light. No forming. It just appeared and dissapeared in a second.

I've heard and seen many threads about this so-called Blue Beam Project, but no... i'm not really sure what it is. Do you have any cool links/sources you wouldn't mind sharing please?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

Was it larger than/smaller than/about the same size as the moon photo from the remake of "The Time Machine" I just posted?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Roughly the same size, maybe a bit larger. There was no shine on the face of the planet though.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Say TPTB, the Masons, Illuminati or whatever you want to call them have in mind what some have termed "The End Time Deception" involving a scenario that would reduce the population of the earth to a sustainable number, say 500 million (reference the Georgia Guidestones). Let's say they'd have to create a false global catastrophe by means of "bringing fire down from the sky", creating a collective mindset receptive to the idea of a "killer" brown dwarf star or other global "destroyer": Nibiru, Planet X, what have you (which would have to be slowly ingrained into the consciousness of people through the careful manipulation of religious mythologies throughout the ages and culminating in a trend in entertainment and film geared toward presenting the possibility of an impending 2012 scenario) in which you either had to flee to safety in their up until then rumored secret underground bunkers in order to survive or face certain death without said protection. And lets say they use the so-called "Project Bluebeam" and suspected weather manipulation and other geo-manipulations to convince people that there actually was an impending global disaster right around the corner. Let's say once they have everyone they wish to dispose of in these "safe havens" that they do just that, vis a vis the Nazi gas chambers of WWII. Leaving a virtually unscathed world for them (the elites) to enjoy.

This isn't a new idea. And I'm sure it's been presented in a less ad hoc and convoluted manner in other threads... but -

What if it goes down this way. I'd sure like to be in my own "safe haven" far away from where the elites would have me. Wouln't you? Because whether you're one of them, or one of the countless billions of victims gleefully and willingly led away to the slaughter, I think they'll have a little more than a slight problem when their "secret" underground bases/slaughterhouses cave in on them in the ensuing melee.

Or is this just too nuts for ya'?
edit on 12/5/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

edit on 12/5/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: juxtaposed words

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I'm sorry i'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what you're trying to ask here.

I believe you saw something, so don't take this the wrong way.

But we can't always trust our eyes. Want an example? Stare at the center of this for 30 seconds:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cb31b6b5b6c.gif[/atsimg]

Do you see a green dot? Most people do. And there is no green dot, so you just saw something that's not there. It happens sometimes.

Not only that, but the purple dots disappear. So the green dot I can see isn't there, and the purple dots that are there, I can't see. It doesn't get much worse than that does it? Our vision including our eyes and image processing is rife with flaws. And as that example illustrates, nobody has to be crazy to see things that aren't there or not see things that are there. It happens for everyone with the possible exception of color blind people.

I'm not sure if any type of vision issue may or may not have been the case in your sighting, I'm not drawing any conclusions either way. But it's a possibility, especially because of the unlikelihood of anything like a planet appearing and disappearing like that.

However, I think it's more likely you observed the effects of some type of fleeting atmospheric phenomenon, though I don't really know what you saw, that's just my best guess.
edit on 5-12-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by aRogue

I believe you saw something, but what?

Maybe you saw the invisible UFO that Keyhoe stated existed 600 miles out into space. He stated that the UFO could not be seen with the human eyes, but long range (600 miles out) radar depicts a massive UFO. Maybe its still there and it blinked in and out for just brief moment.

www.google.com...

Keyhoe was an expert on UFOs.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

What i meant by "in the distance" was outside our atmosphere. It could very well have been outside our solar system as well.

My point is, how do you know this?

But then that would mean this object would be tremendous in size.

So tremendous that there's no way you'd have been the only person in the world to see it, or that it could exist without detectably exerting a gravitational influence. Planets don't have stealth systems or anti-gravity devices, nor do they pop in and out of view as you've described.

The exact size of the object has dwindled in my memory over the years. What i do know though is that it was definitely larger than the moon.

But how do you know this? Do you mean "larger than the moon" in actual size, or in apparent size? If I hold my hand in front of my face, my thumb is "larger than the moon." If an ant stood on my shoulder as I did this and had no concept of the actual sizes involved, his quick perception of the two objects would be very wrong. He'd need to perform further calculations to get an accurate idea of what he's looking at.

There is no logical connection between anything you listed and your assertion that "It couldn't have been [your] eyes."

Based on what i saw, i say it's a good reason entirely to invoke a conspiracy about this.

Why? Are you aware that there are multiple meteor showers over the course of any given summer? Even if your perception was genuine, why would you assume the newscast wasn't referring to an actual meteor shower? See, I think this is more testimony to your desire for this experience to be something incredible, when the reality of it was incredibly mundane.

I wasn't aware of putting up defences in my story,

Then what are you doing by trying to counter the criticism you've received here? You're defending your claim.

i'm just telling you how i saw it...

And I've given you at least a couple of reasonable explanations that are far more likely to accurately explain the event than you actually seeing a planet or having some "inter-dimensional" or mystical experience.

You're free to ask as many questions as you like, i'm glad to answer them all in the best possible way i can.

You've been nice enough in responding, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that you're more interested in validating your belief that this was something remarkable, rather than honestly seeking an explanation. That's just my impression.

If i replaced a planet with a plane, would you still think i'd be jumping to conclusions? No would be my answer. Yes the brain is very facinating!

"I looked up and saw a plane," is a completely unremarkable claim. "I looked up and saw a dark planet, rivers of fire, dark plumes of smoke, then it vanished before my eyes," is a remarkable and possibly absurd claim on multiple fronts, unless you consider the distinct possibility that you perceived wrongly, embellished what you saw over time or outright imagined the object. I don't think your comparison reflects the situation.

I remember a lot from that night in great detail.

Yet you cannot even justify your statements regarding the size of the object.

The scribbling down on paper was a mere anchor to what i saw. In other words, whenever i drifted into a sense of doubt, that piece of paper would assert what i saw indeed took place in reality.

I'm sure, and over time that vague description grew more and more elaborate in your mind. It's not unusual, especially when recalling a childhood experience years after the fact.

No i do not, i'm sorry.

I really don't know how you could have missed it, since you responded to that very segment by claiming you aren't defending anything.

The title was merely to attract attention so people could visit the thread and answer the one question i hoped would be answered, and i thank those who have done so already.

Maybe that's true, but you continue to resist the simplest explanations: that you were simply mistaken, embellished the story over time, or saw something that wasn't there.

I know the basics of physical laws and off-course i know what i'm saying is utter lunacy. Even i admit that... but i know (and believe) what i saw.

That's fine, but if your literal explanation ("I saw a planet that appeared and vanished suddenly") is ridiculous, then you need to consider more mundane explanations instead of clinging to what was obviously a very flawed perception, for whatever reason(s).

I know it's hard for you to comprehend that.

No, it's quite easy. I've already told you that I'll grant that you saw something and believe your perception to be accurate. That you don't seem willing to seriously consider something more mundane, when even you know your claim is absurd, further convinces me that you aren't really looking for an explanation. You're looking for validation. Again, that's just my impression based on these exchanges so far.

But hey, that's only natural. Haha, Dino... how much data would it take for you to actually believe my account as truth?

That depends on the data. And again, I don't doubt your "account." I doubt the accuracy of your perception, the reliability of your recollection, and the validity of the "real planet" explanation versus simple mistakes, embellishment and imagination.

I deal with people like you everyday and no amount will ever convice your type.

Well, I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of people who ask hard questions, but that's just part of scientific inquiry. I deal with people who make ridiculous claims without evidence every day, so I guess we're even.

It's possible. By the way, is it that difficult for you to answer my question though? If so i understand and respect your decision. Thanks again for the questions.

You asked two questions:

How is what i saw possible? What would make it possible?

I answered both in the segment you just replied to:

You acknowledged this response directly, conceding that, "It's possible." I'm confused, however, as to why you followed this up immediately and somewhat deceptively by accusing me of not responding to the questions, when in that very segment you are responding to my answers.

If those answers aren't satisfactory, kindly explain why and I will try again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join