It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe frozen by vicious winter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Europe frozen by vicious winter

bigpondnews.com

Freezing temperatures and often blinding snowfall killed 12 more people and caused travel chaos across northern Europe, while some of the worst floods in a century devastated parts of the Balkans.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
bigpondnews.com
ec.europa.eu

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
After reading articles and posts for the past couple of months this is no surprise.

Does everyone remember recent discussions of the gulf stream and that it appeared to be slowing or even stopped? What effect do you think this will have on the Northern Hemishphere?

Below are some related articles in regard to the gulf stream.

geraldcelentechannel.blogspot.com...

The below article is from 2005 but it still goes into detail about effects the gulf stream has -
www.timesonline.co.uk...

bigpondnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Ive got a bit of snow here in essex (london border) nothing to worry about though.

This is just english weather....we have had snow for the last few years around this time of the year. It always causes havoc because of our cheap skate councils who refuse to grit all the roads!!!

I dont think this is an ice age or anything as bad. No doubt come march next year this story will be forgot and then brought up again next time we have a lil bit of snow

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
rewind a year

and you ll find that not that many more died in the same time span of winters first month last year.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Hopefully thats true and it wont get worse. Alhough even in the media i remember last year was shocking winter for many parts of Europe, hopefully this yeat will not be so bad. On the flip side in Australia untill now we have had a 10 year + drought and it has been horrible although this year we have had crazy rainfall and storms. Places that hadnt seen any rain at all in 5 years were flooded. Some children on farms hadnt seen rain since they were born untill this year. Melbourne CBD flooded as well and that is something i have never seen.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
BBC News has just played the recording of a 999 call by some woman claiming that her snowman had been stolen. She seemed totally serious!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Thats classic!! The winter version of going knoming

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thank you, I've been posting on the Gulf Stream and what the Italian physicst published about BP oil, that stopped the Gulf Stream and the one into Scandinavian waters, including that plunging low temperature off eastern europe that killed millions of ocean life instantly. This was from early summer on.

This is really important and the weather has become very disturbed. This also was done deliberately by the bloodlines and BP got paid a fortune, having shares in the dispersant. Not only that, but its not capped yet, apparently, thats all a lie, and they're still pouring the dispersant in.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's certainly cold. But really quite pretty.

That said, the mute swans (all adults and most of the cygnets) seem to have taken off from the parts of Nottingham I've said, which they haven't done the last 2 winters. the 2 cygnets that I have seen still around looked not-particularly-pleased about it.

Person in Essex, was the snow really in November last year? I remember it late December/January (in Notts/Sussex) but not November. It certainly wasn't this memorable until January.

I just find it funny that both places I've lived in England (City of Nottingham and near Portsmouth) in the last five years, when I got there and asked whether the cold was likely to be compensated for with fluffy white stuff, they said "no, it hardly ever snows here"). The last five years, both places have had at least one day of heavy snow each winter (well, one year it was in spring).

So, if the locals are to be believed, it's definitedly getting chiller up here! Although i wouldn't go so far as to say that BP are doing it on purpose. I guess this is a Conspiracy Theory forum, though, so...
edit on 3/12/2010 by TheWill because: unclear statements are bad for general health

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

The ptb play on our lack of ability to just remember what happens in years gone by.

By the way, lol, its only autumn yet.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

It snowed the beginning of december last year....i have videos from 10th December showing the snow

It didnt get too bad until about 19th-20th, but it did snow beginning of december here in essex.
So like i say....nothing unusual really just a bit of snow at the same time its been happening for years.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Oh, yes... I forgot that. And I moaned about it for ages at the time (largely because the snow falling in the south had melted by the time I got there, and while I was in the South it was snowing in Notts. Then it snowed everywhere and I was happy).

Either way (new or just readily forgotten pattern), it's pretty and gives me something to complain about, so in true british spirit, I'm all for it!
edit on 3/12/2010 by TheWill because: added more... I'll call it information.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

haha its not too bad here now....we have only had a few inches here at most.
Stupid council hasnt gritted most of the roads though so its a bit of a nightmare getting out of side roads....i did notice that all the posh roads have been done. The council wouldnt want a footballer or city broker to crash his car now would they lol

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well actually I have been thinking of the gulf stream as a possible cause.

@ Unity could you please provide some links on the rapid plunge and loss of ocean life ?

However to be perfectly honest. They used to be ably to drive a car across our rivers and lakes. Thae last time that was even remotely possible was in 1996. My grandparents are always telling me that they used to have to psets of clothing. One for summer and on for winter.

You know what bothers me the most ??? It's not even winter yet.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

As we speak today even down in here in Aus we are experiancing floods and way higher than average rainfall, it's almost summer now....

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

As we speak today even down in here in Aus we are experiancing floods and way higher than average rainfall, it's almost summer now....

It is summer? 1st of December it was summer?

It's crazy gloomy weather in Brisbane. Driving around today was so crap, one minute its bucketing down, drive 100m, it's dry road, then pouring again. No flooding near us but lots of branches down. Bit further inland it's flooding pretty bad I hear. But, it's flooded a couple of times in the last couple of years up here. Better too much rain then none I think. At least things will turn green when the waters recede!
edit on 4/12/2010 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hello,
First of all, I don't understand why so many compare this year with the previous one. The interval between them it's too small in order to observe clear aspects. Secondly, just because it is winter and it is snowing, doesn't mean that it is a normal thing, you can still see glitches in weather patterns. I found on a site data about Gulf Stream velocity from 2003 till now. The differences are, I might add, obvious. A comparison between 2009 10th November and 2010 the same month and day:
rads.tudelft.nl...
rads.tudelft.nl...
If you go to 2003 10th November: rads.tudelft.nl... doubts about whether the Gulf Stream is slowing down or not should go away.
Informations about this can be found on several websites, but i was impressed by rads.tudelft.nl...
And this one is for Gulf Stream rads.tudelft.nl... Press on previous maps to get all the Gif information. Also, very interesting things about El Nino, La Nina rads.tudelft.nl...
I hope that you will find useful those links, have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Pampamz

The problem is that the measurements of only one or even a hundred years can tell us whether or not this is actually normal.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I looked for older data, 2003 was the best I could find. Normal it's a relative term, even natural disasters are normal, simply because something caused them, action and reaction. Those images show that Gulf Stream velocity is changing, it is going down. I wasn't trying to suggest something abnormal about Gulf Stream, no one can simply because they can't define normal.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Pampamz

Hi,

I wasnt only comparing the this to the last year, i only provided links from other sources... however, in latter comments provided my own opinion to the current events.

To be honest from memory i cannot recall such a vicious winter in parts of the northern hemisphere, now given i am not from nor have ever been there i understand my own opinion cannot be taken lightly, but from what i remember i have not seen such bad weather.

Now on a more personal note and to a climate that i more accustomed, Australia for the past 10-15 years has suffered massive droughts, you have no idea how bad it actually got unless you lived here or had any reason to look it up online. In Victoria ( southern state of Aus ) or damns went from 90-100% capacity down to 20-30% in 5 years. The state governments imposed massive water restrictions, etc etc. look it up !

Then suddenly in the past 12 months the total opposite occured, massi8ve floods in drought stricken areas, massive flooding in the Melbourne CBD (( something i have never seen in my lifetime ) farmers that hadnt seen water for almost 7-8 years were suddenly in the midst of a flood. I will never a 5 year old on the news that hadnt seen rain since he was born and now suddenly their land was under 5 mts of water.

All you need to do is look at antarctic ice records overe the past 500,000 years. We have warm periods and very very cold periods. We are coming toward the end of another inter-glacial period and we are beggining to see the onset of the next glacial stage ( ice age ) - scientist go on about global warming but disregard the previous records. Global warming always preceeds an ice age.

What we are seeing is just the beggining and it is sad. Perhaps the incident in the gulf moved this process forward but it always bound to happen. Just look up the last time thre gulf stream stopped about 13,000yrs ago.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join