It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of bees dead after invading home

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It sounds like the bee's in the south were tired of the bee's from the north always picking on them and saying they would wipe them out of the attic. I don't see how all of you guys didn't see this coming, the north just kept buzzing around where they shouldn't have been. Sadly we will never see the new queen take her rightful place as the diva queen bee of the north.

No really, what you guys are missing is the blackwater was hired to clean up the mess and exterminate the bee's. follow the money trail... or honey trail....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

How does someone NOT notice millions of bees have set up residence in their house? eesh...

As for bee wars, the only thing I've heard of are bees (some very aggressive species of bee) that do fight over females...

Freaky story.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Maybe it was a premature stingulation!

Don't bees release an enzyme when the sting that excites the other bees and gets them to sting?

If so, then it is possible that two peaceful bees were going for the same nectar and someone had a misfire. A crosswind, or a minor miscalculation and your stinger could be where it doesn't belong! If the other bee fired back, we have a major instantaneous escalation! All out bee holocaust! This did happen awfully close to Cuba! But for JFK, it could have been us!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
So both hives were in the house rafters,, population reached critical mass and BOOM mass extiction?? I mean there was not many bee's who flew away from that one,, and they would be some tuff bee's ,, WOWOW
edit on 3-12-2010 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by Aquarius1

This is a really bizarre story, and maybe even the first of its kind ever documented. I did an Internet Search on “Bee Wars” and “Honey Bee Wars” and came up with no cases of bees attacking one another like this in mass. There was a Indian War known as the Bee War, and some Honey Wars between rival states and farmers, but nothing on bees warring with one another.

Proto, this is normal that bees will kill those not of their own hive if they are bothering each other--robbing, intruding, etc. Sometimes it happens when you introduce a new queen to the hive as well. Her scent is unfamiliar. They have a few days to get used to her before she is released into the hive. Even so, if they decide they don't like her scent, the bees will sting her upon her release. The only way to stop a Bee War like what is described here would be to spray them with a mixture of vanilla extract and sugar water. If they all smell the same they assume the bees are one of their own. Wouldn't it be nice if that worked for people, too?
edit on 3-12-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't know Bees were so similar to humans.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This story does not make sense . There has to be some information missing here .

Sometimes a strong hive will kill off a weak hive for its honey stores. This usually only happens when there is a dearth or a period of time with no forage for the bees and it is usually a very weak hive that is attacked not a large one .

Another option could be that the comb in the attic hive was damaged by a wild animal the smell of raw honey dripping would have been a calling card for bees miles around to get free honey . Then the war would happen raiders vs defenders .

Another reason is an africanized bee hive swarmed and was trying to rake over a domestic hive. They will take over hives if given a chance .

As a general rule honey bees wont bother you unless they are messed with them I have had 4 hives in my back yard which means there was about a million bees flying to and fro . So its strange he had to lock himself up . A beekeeper with a suit and a smoker could have easily gotten this guy out unless they were the African hybrid .

I wish there was some good footage of what took place a, beekeeper by watching how they were acting could tell you what really happened .

You know what very well could have happened is if there were 2 hives in the attic each with its own exit then if one was closed off it would have forced them to cross each others territory . Some beekeepers keep 2 hives in 1 box 2 openings and 2 brood nests but queen excluders to keep the queens apart and workers go between the 2 halves . Too much trouble for me .

I am beginning to think that is what happened .

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

I think u got it,, but to the death eveyone of them?? wow brutal,, sweeping them out of eveywhere!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
bees only have one shot, the stinger has barbs.

wasps don't so they can sting mulitple times.

two bees pair off and sting each other and both die.

no bruce lee/rambo bees taking out lots of other bees.

what happened to the queens though?

interesting.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Heres some music for the thread, complete with a Bee Girl.....

MOTF!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
bees only have one shot, the stinger has barbs.

wasps don't so they can sting mulitple times.

two bees pair off and sting each other and both die.

no bruce lee/rambo bees taking out lots of other bees.

what happened to the queens though?

interesting.

Evidently the queens had already moved to Key West and this was a desperate effort on the part of the other boys to get them to return home!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

People unfamiliar with Key West may not realize that it is populated by an unusually high number of "queens!"

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So, bee's aren't being killed off by climate, bacteria, viruses or pesticides....They are being killed off because of their own stupidity...great.

On the bright side, their plight could be used as an anti-war talking point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join