It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News poll...Do you believe life exists beyond Earth ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spirit Warrior 11:11
reply to post by cj6

Recent study just released said we have UNDERESTIMATED the size of the universe by 1/3.
The current estimate is 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. That's 300 sextillion. This is speaking of stars ONLY.
I speculate an average of 5 planets each star. Some will have less, more, none, some lots of planets. Some stars are so big they can hardly be compared to our sun so they could have tons and tons of planets.

To think it's just us out here with all this real-estate is incredibly arrogant.

300 sextillion x 5 planets. That is a lot. Compared to a single planet we know of that has life. Those odds actually indicate that if there is life out there it may be quite rare and/or near impossible to discover.

However, given the elemental composition of the universe and it's size I would agree that it would be extremely unlikely that it doesn't exist outside earth. However, I don't believe that little green men are currently visiting or have ever visited earth.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i too do believe that we are not the only life form planet, too think other wise is closed minded. Is there life out there that is just as, if not more intelligent than we? That has yet to be found and proved but with the discovery's made in/on our own planet, where life once thought could not form nor exist and has proved to be not so, then there stands to reason life should be out there, whether it be microbe, or bacterial.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

That is a skewed argument. Yes there are that many stars, but only one planet with life YET. We have no yet been on a search for life on the planets within our own solar system let alone any others to form the statistic you reference. We have only looked on the Moon and on Mars. We have the rest of the planets here to test as well as all the moons within those planetary spheres. In short we have TONS of investigating still left undone in our own neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I would also like to point out there will be a NASA announcement on this TODAY at 2pm ET.
I believe they will be admitting that we have had micro-biologic life from 'out there' all along.
The next question is " Well then what else is 'out there' ?"

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

Out of curiosity what other comment would you post?
I find that interesting considering your Avatar is Dr. Greer's book.
It was an interesting read. Hard to believe a successful doctor wrote such things though.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vinunleaded

we have most certainly been visited, whether we recognize or not, i mean, how else did life begin on this planet? some crap flying through space and time said "oops!" as it smashed into earth, didn't like trying to breathe underwater, crawled onto land and said "hey, i want thumbs!" and here we are... yes, i know, not quite that simple, but the gist is probably understood... and i agree with other posts saying that putting that link here on ATS has to certainly lean the votes in the CORRECT direction..
so undoubtedly, unabashedly, undeniably, i voted YES... also, like earlier posts said, less than a 1000 years ago humans thought there was an edge to earth and that it was flat... of course they were proven incorrect, and so will the 'earthlings' who believe we are so special as to be the only living beings in all of the galaxies, amongst all the stars, when we have already found others planets with the potential to support life, even if not human... so... let's get the space ships started and get the heck out there and say hello!!! i am soooooo ready!!!
edit on 2-12-2010 by schitzoandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
So if the "nos" win, will you stop believing in aliens? If you stop believing in aliens, will they cease to exist? This poll is monumentally irrelevant to the reality of the situation. By drawing attention to it in this forum, you will probably skew the results towards the "yes" side and the results won't even have the minor sociological significance they might have otherwise had.

LOL

Come on is this for real?

!!, you simply CANT state that every single group that represents the US access FOX website at the same proportion that they exist

so, simply by that, the pool would not reflect the opinion of the people of the US

these online pools are completely irrelevant

the only way for you to get relevant results, would be if there were some option for you to profile groups(to accept votes from people registered on the website that have every single bit of information of their lives registered there, or some kind of survey with a lot of questions related to their life), then separate the votes proportion by groups and apply the real world proportions to it ... or some process similar to that

edit on 2/12/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is interesting.
Since this morning the percentages for the poll are almost the exact same.
It was 74% Yes with 6000 votes this morning.
Now it is 73..% with 16,000 votes.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

reply to post by spacevisitor

Out of curiosity what other comment would you post?

Do You Believe There Is Life On Other Planets?

Yes, because life from other planets is already here.

I find that interesting considering your Avatar is Dr. Greer's book.
It was an interesting read. Hard to believe a successful doctor wrote such things though.

I do not know what you mean by that you find it hard to believe that a successful doctor wrote such things because I did not read that book yet, but I hope I will get the opportunity to read it someday.

The reasons for why I choose that book front cover as my avatar is, that I have a great respect for the people involved in the disclosure project who had the courage for coming forward on May 9th, 2001, at the National Press Club in Washington DC to tell their story.

That we have indeed to deal with “Hidden Truth and Forbidden Knowledge” regarding the UFO/UAP/ET phenomenon,

And I found that image perfect for my avatar.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal
Yes -- With trillions of stars capable of hosting even more planets, there must be other life forms out there.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I just read today that the most recent estimate of the number of stars in the universe is something like 300 sextillion, which I believe is a 3 with 23 zeroes after it. It's a big place out there. And based on the NASA press conference today, extraterrestrial life may not even need to be "life as we know it".

New York Times

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

Yes -- With trillions of stars capable of hosting even more planets, there must be other life forms out there.

Actually, I just read today that the most recent estimate of the number of stars in the universe is something like 300 sextillion, which I believe is a 3 with 23 zeroes after it. It's a big place out there. And based on the NASA press conference today, extraterrestrial life may not even need to be "life as we know it".

New York Times

Whoops, just read through the posts and realized somebody already beat me to that little factoid. Oh well, the enormity of that number bears repeating.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Sounds like the definition of blind faith. Belief in something despite lack of evidence

And for the religious debate that will no doubt break out, belief in a Creator is not blind faith. The fact that we exist along with everything else that exists is proof of a Creator because things in our universe cannot create themselves.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
The fact that we exist along with everything else that exists is proof of a Creator because things in our universe cannot create themselves.

Unless the universe is the "creator.
Unless the universe is something the people call "God". Check out the pantheistic, panentheistic or deistic theories.

(sry 4 off topic)

@topic:
I voted for "yes", I'm sure about that, I wouldn't be sure if the poll asked for Aliens which contacted or try to contact us.
edit on 3-12-2010 by ZaphBot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
And for the religious debate that will no doubt break out, belief in a Creator is not blind faith. The fact that we exist along with everything else that exists is proof of a Creator because things in our universe cannot create themselves.

An axiom is not proof of a creator in any way. We're going to need a lot more than this to establish the existence of "a creator". Especially in a universe where the invisible and the non-existent are identical.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I believe,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join