It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is white pride a bad thing?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As many others have stated in different ways here, there is no "white" just as there is no "black". There is skin color, hair color/form and bone structure; and then there is language/culture. The two need not affect one another, except in the most superficial of ways (i.e., some random metaphor about nose structure different between those with flat noses and those with pointy noses - the only handy analogy I could think of, in theory mind you...in practice I need to see some examples).

Examples that prove my point:

The Bulgarians
Americans (Not just US Americans, but pretty much all Americans - North and South).
Central Asians

Probably any given "group" that you could name at some point in its history...

It goes on and on.

Having "white" pride is merely a reaction to minority groups finding their identities. The majority already possesses pride, as pride is simply recognition of the culture. This is superfluous. Why would the majority group take pride in what is already exalted - even if it is artificially constructed an not necessarily reminiscent of a specific race but for general gestalt?

In other words, Europeans are white. Northern and most mediterranean Europeans share commonalities of physiognomy. Material culture, language, religious patterns and social structures/taboos/folklore are all more or less related within these groups due to shared history. Nevertheless, the patterns of similarity have long evolved separately in the "Old Country", whereas the points of similarity (as opposed to the drastic differences from those same points between African cultures and Native American or Asian cultures) solidify because they hinge on the points of being something because it is not something else.

In other words, once over, "White" as a cultural dynamic in the US is merely the intersection of a continuum of cultural traits that are Indo-European in ancestry and for as much as they have diverged in the old lands of Eurasia, they can resolidify in some form or another - incorporating the most salient of all features concerned - to create the "General American" culture. Naturally, due to presence, aspects of this culture are informed by minority groups, who, are expected to adhere to the majority's saliency in number and power. "Black Power" and "Orgullo Latino" or whatever other heritage or pride-based mentality that emerges is merely due to not being the socio-cultural format of the designators or oppressors, but rather that of the designated persons or the oppressed.

European-descendants in rural Appalachia or the Midwest who yearn for this so-called "White Pride" or bemoan its so-considered loss in modern American society; these people have legitimate grievances, but to call all of this a yearning for "white pride" in the face of myriad minority pride outbursts is to repress it. For those people who first and foremost identify and sum up their attitude under the various labels of white pride or white power, it would be a good idea to take a step back and reanalyze what your actual situation is. What is the context of your problems? What are the root causes? I think deep down you will see that your so-called white culture is perhaps a more nativist culture to an authentic American culture, not this high-class amalgam of European cultural compromise.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
this calls for a little Louis CK.

This guy has to be stupid right? Do people really think that if you're born white in this world you have everything handed to you on a silver plate? Because I think someone stole my plate (and everything on it). I mean lets not even get into the fact that I could disect everything this man said and throw it back in his face.. but lets start with the most obvious shall we?

If you traveled back to the year 2 (i do believe he meant AD) Rome was just entering its transition from a republic to an empire. Not only would you not be offered a seat at this magical table of white awesomess, but you'd be a slave or killed on site or tortured or of course fed to lions. The lesson we learn from this is that whites have been slaves for far longer than blacks. Welcome to Europe.

He is a comedian. He also extremely ignorant on the subject that he's trying to make a joke of. He has also been brainwashed into thinking that white is bad and you can see this when he tries to defend his ignorant statements.

You didnt land on plymouth rock. No, you were enslaved long before plymouth rock by your own people and sold to the white man for rum. Learn your own history.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

I think the issue many whites have it they are tired of being blamed and put down even in subtle ways. Let me give you an example which we talked about in marketing classes in college. Commercials often depict whites as uninformed and blacks as the ones with the knowledge. If you don't believe me, watch tv this week (I know it's hard to do, but just watch some commercials).

Notice how many times of the 3 main characters in the commercial the white, often the white male is the stupid one and the minority is giving the answer. You will NOT see a black man or woman shown as ignorant being helped by the all knowing white person. Sometimes you will see a black wife helping her poor ignorant black husband, but you won't see a white male helping our and informing an ignorant minority. Does this really matter in the bigger scheme of things?

I think on a subtle energy level it does. Children pick up on the message, and adults do as well. It is just like in movies women do the stupidest things, and the men so often think, "Yep, just like a woman". I can tell you I would never have done X mistake, but it's in the script. I could go on and on with examples that put white people and countries down while showing those of a different race or world standing as wonderful.

The only thing I can say, is if you watch this stuff enjoy the movie but realize it's a movie and not indicative of truth. Also, it's called television programming for a reason. I no longer watch tv much at all. Of course I do spend too much time on the internet.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Serenity08

Was it fair? No it wasn't. But was it true that some had to fight a lot more to get fair consideration while others just walked in and were more favored based on looks?

Um, that has nothing to do with skin color, and far more to do with culture. What is wrong these days is that all non-white groups are allowed to discriminate against whites in their hiring practices, while whites are expected to be equal opportunity employers. Many whites are getting pushed out of traditional jobs do to this active discrimination. I know it happens a great deal where I live.

Just because some white people enjoyed unfair advantages in the past, doesn't mean that working class white people should get screwed in the present, which is the way things are being done. Privileged whites still enjoy their privileges.

History in America has been a lot easier for whites than any other race.

Except the descendants of the Spanish conquistadors, who have had it a lot easier than most whites and still have it far easier.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

"Black Power" and "Orgullo Latino" or whatever other heritage or pride-based mentality that emerges is merely due to not being the socio-cultural format of the designators or oppressors, but rather that of the designated persons or the oppressed.

Sorry, but this is a false statement. Plenty of white people have been oppressed and continue to be oppressed.

You just don't get it that the freedoms that we still manage to enjoy in this country were hard fought for and won.

The current practices of reverse discrimination are taking away those rights.

What is the context of your problems? What are the root causes?

Thanks for asking, about time.

The problem is that working class whites, who have to deal with the oppression of the elitist whites are now being expected to pay for the sins of the elites. Special interest legislation is legalized discrimination against primarily working class whites which is resulting in all working people losing more and more of their rights.

The root cause is that the elites who desire to oppress the masses don't care what color you are.

The more people who figure out what a big scam this whole legalized discrimination against working class whites, the more people can wake up to the fact that they are giving away the liberties that they currently enjoy.

Sadly, most people are too happy to place the race card and take what they can get, and forget tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Divide and conquer in its most basic form and yet people cant see it.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
Every other ethnic race or culture can organize together but if a group of all white people do it

Your a white supremacist ......

Whoever said that it was right for other races to organize together?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by No_man4
Because 'white' isn't a culture, it's a skin color. A skin color shared by peoples of various cultures. If you want to uphold the religious traditions and practices of your antecedents from overseas, that's your right as an American, as long as it doesn't get in the way of anyone else exercising their rights. If you want to celebrate culture that's distinctly American, that's fine too. But considering that American culture is cobbled together from and shaped by cultural elements from cultures all over the world and across time, many of which aren't white, one can see how that might be difficult to do without injuring one's "white pride".
Having pride in the color of one's skin is needlessly divisive, no matter what it is, and makes about as much sense as having pride in the shirt you're wearing.

Just as "black" is a skin tone, not a culture. Black people come from myriad cultures. Yet we have a Black History month, and we make big things of Cinco De Mayo. Why can't we have a White History Month? Other races can have clubs and societies that are limited to their specific race only, but if whites do it, it's racist - why is that?

And why is it that the world seems to think that only white people can be racist? We actually had our children come home from school one afternoon and tell us about some horrible things that were said to them. I was furious. I went to the principal's office and told them in no uncertain terms that we did not tolerate our children being racist against others and that we would not tolerate others being racist against them. To their credit, we received a letter of apology from the other student. When my sister lived in NC, she went to a store one day and stood there for quite some time while the black store owners completely ignored her to take care of their black friends first. That's just as racist as if it had been the other way around. I myself was crossing the street in a crosswalk when a black woman sped up in an attempt to hit me before I could get across the street, then rolled down her window and called me white trash. Just as racist as if it had been the other way around. The other races complain about racism, but it's never going to go away as long as they themselves keep perpetuating it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I'll try to stay with the topic.... or nah, I just ramble on!

White pride is a bad thing, because it can be misunderstood. This is because those responsible for writing history books and teaching kids; have their own agendas - and a lack of integrity and objectivity. So because these are persons which lack logic and lesser intellect, their rhetoric conclusions is that there of; since the nazi's love viking-symbols - all vikings are nazi's!

Another prejudice that affect we whom are proud of our viking ancestry is being a guy with long hair!
I've been spat at by 70 year old women when shopping for groceries with my kids - just because of my looks!

Almost everything today about vikings is forgotten or occult, simply because of how the christians have ruled the western civilization the past half millennium. Christians tells you that everything occult (hidden knowledge) is equal to satanism; just like muslims tells you about everything which is not islam. But myself being an atheist with an literal appetite for theism; when people touch the subject of religion at social events, I always bring up Zoroastrianism - and usually they change the subject or leave!

I believe that the principle of black or white pride is in itself is as nonfunctional as "proud diabetics" or "green-eye-pride". It's all about attacking the opposite because of either suppression or envy; thin people hate fat people, ugly people hate good looking people, the Liverpool-supporters hate the Manchester U-supporters, the nonsmokers hate everyone, and so on. And this group-behavior is really only beneficial if what one fight for is unreal...

When the black was suppressed, black pride had outside support, as when whites are suppressed, white pride emerges. The only difference is that these forces are being utilized by the powers that be.

The media today have made everyone believe that pride is synonymous with hating the opposite part. This because ;it be red-stockings, gays, vegetarians, or whomever -only the extremists make the front page...

To sum it up; White pride is a bad thing first of all because of ignorance, fear, and envy - but also because it will connect to, and falsely define one as a supporter of -those white groups that is not of ones category. So if you are having a hard time being white and proud, try something smaller; like just... being white and satisfied...
edit on 14-1-2011 by nakiel because: goblins!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Because in America, every day is "white culture day" and every month is "white culture month." Every history book is filled to the brim with white faces. White people dominate our media. In most of the country, the people we talk to are white. Our government system is a European transplant, as are both of our major languages. Everywhere you look, whites are the "standard" in America and everyone else is the "exception."

Whites aren't in a situation where there's any need to go "Hey! What about us?!" because every moment of every day in America is filled to the brim with white cultural dominance.

When you say then that you think that there needs to be MORE attention given to white people, what that ends up being said is you think those other people need less attention. That may not be your intent, but the fact is, white people aren't hurting for coverage and cultural recognition, and pretending they are does a disservice to the people who ARE struggling for that.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Sorry, but this is a false statement. Plenty of white people have been oppressed and continue to be oppressed.

Individual whites, sure.

But never in America has there been systemic oppression against white people simply because they're white. There was no white version of Dred Scott. There were no internment camps for white people during World War 2, even if their last name was "Hasselfbauer" or something. Entire tribes of white people were not obliterated from the face of the earth so other people could look for gold under where they were living. Nowhere in America was there a town where the stated policy was the murder white people caught there after sundown. White people are usually not targeted by screaming mobs demanding they "go back to Norway" or something. US media figures do not accuse white people of spreading leprosy and tuberculosis, and never once has a US political figure dared to claim that all white people are "welfare cases."

You just don't get it that the freedoms that we still manage to enjoy in this country were hard fought for and won.

The current practices of reverse discrimination are taking away those rights.

And what discrimination would that be? Is this a silly whining about "affirmative action?" I hope not, 'cause when people whine about that, all they're really saying is that they're butthurt that a black guy was actually better-qualified than they were.

The problem is that working class whites, who have to deal with the oppression of the elitist whites are now being expected to pay for the sins of the elites. Special interest legislation is legalized discrimination against primarily working class whites which is resulting in all working people losing more and more of their rights.

The root cause is that the elites who desire to oppress the masses don't care what color you are.

The more people who figure out what a big scam this whole legalized discrimination against working class whites, the more people can wake up to the fact that they are giving away the liberties that they currently enjoy.

And the kicker? "Working class whites" absolutely love this. They must! They constantly vote against their own self-interests, they happily buy into inducements to throw their money away to enrich the white elite, and they happily cripple their own children's futures at the behest of the elite, because for some damned dumb reason, they believe that if they do all this, they get to be elite, too.

And to distract them, those elites point them to blacks, to Mexicans, and the Muslims and the working-class whites, god bless them, fall right into line with kicking these "lesser" people around. Why? 'Cause it makes them feel better than someone.

We can make a case that the working class is oppressed across the racial spectrum. But when we isolate it to just the whites, we see a pathological case of self-inflicted harm; they injure themselves with their votes and then isolate themselves from others in their class by buying into the racist horse-crap given by the white elites (and yes, increasing the black elites give the same anti-black, anti-mexican, anti-muslim messages; Thomas Sowell and Bill Cosby come to mind)

Sadly, most people are too happy to place the race card and take what they can get, and forget tomorrow.

Race is a factor in our country. Oddly it seems to only be white people who believe race has no impact on anything; Presumably because it has no impact on them. T

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

And when did the bible dub white people as evil by dint of the Hamitic curse? Yes a massive evil was done. It would be nice if we could move forward. Guess what??

We are moving forward. As a black person I do not celebrate Kwanzaa. I have nothing to do with Black history month nor the reactionary loons called the Pan Afrikanists. If white people wish to practice racial pride that is their perogative I support their right to do so. If they wish to use a "white pride event" to attempt to terrorise my community or mine well that is likely to cause them pain and suffering.

I have very close white friends who have proven themselves over decades.
edit on 14-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Because being proud of something that you yourself haven't done anything to achieve for is lame, stupid and constitutes the very basis for supremacist views. Nothing good has ever come from a supremacist world view, even when the supremacy is merited by one's own effort - when it isn't, it can only be that much worse.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
Being white isn't a culture.

And other races don't celebrate because they are whatever colour they are, they celebrate the history of their race, and the hardships that have been overcome.

There is no race, but the human race! Nothing wrong with being proud about your heritage, whatever it may be. Of course, historically, it was the whites with the manifest destiny doctrin who were racists. Even Social Darwinism (a precursor to fascism) is a white man's theory with the sole purpose to excuse racist and fascist atrocities (look at the Nazis and Germany before and during WWII). Also, historically, the blacks were suppressed for so long that in the 60ties they rebelled too and hence "Black is beautiful", too, I would add. Really, white people have a lot historical guilt (I am not saying that the descendant of a white man today is guilty of racism or of the crimes of his forefathers.) And to make matters worse, if you are a Christian, pride is one of the 7 deadly sins, so should be avoided at all costs.
edit on 14/1/2011 by WalterRatlos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Wow, in two posts you spewed nothing but racism and ignorance.

I don't have time to go through everything, only to hit the top zingers.

White people founded the U.S., and are still the majority of people in the U.S., so yes, we are everywhere. What is your point? How dare we show our faces in public? Clearly a lot of hatred and resentment here.

It doesn't make every day white cultural day.

No, the U.S. government is not a European transplant. Democratic style government is a big part of white culture, especially northern European culture, but the U.S. government was very unique as it was founded. Still the fact that historically, Northern Europeans have favored democratic style government, is a huge factor in the success of European culture.

The real kicker that burns your bum is that you can't stand the idea that the success of the U.S. is primarily due to white culture. Whites developed most of the principles that allow our nation to function as well as it does, and most ot the technology as well. All the first world nations are nations founded by whites, except Japan and S. Korea, who adopted the ways of white culture and our style of government..

You want to know why whites are now starting to say, "hey we have a right to be proud of our culture"?

Because we are getting tired of the ignorance and hatred like that which you spewed in these two posts.

But never in America has there been systemic oppression against white people simply because they're white. There was no white version of Dred Scott. There were no internment camps for white people during World War 2, even if their last name was "Hasselfbauer" or something. Entire tribes of white people were not obliterated from the face of the earth so other people could look for gold under where they were living. Nowhere in America was there a town where the stated policy was the murder white people caught there after sundown. White people are usually not targeted by screaming mobs demanding they "go back to Norway" or something. US media figures do not accuse white people of spreading leprosy and tuberculosis, and never once has a US political figure dared to claim that all white people are "welfare cases."

Affirmative action is systematic oppression of white people, and I will point it out again, working class whites pay for the crimes of the elites under Affirmative action. Dred Scott, we fought a war for our freedoms, in fact several wars. We even fought a war to end slavery in the U.S., read the reason given by southern states for secession. Germans did go to internment camps, just not as many. Yes, entire tribes of white people have been obliterated for the land they are on. There are plenty of neighborhoods were whites know not to go after dark, and they sing kill whitie in South Africa. Yes, the U.S. media does attack white people regularly.

Affirmative action is when quotas are set to hire non whites, and more qualified whites are often discriminated against. Look ar the case where our new racist Supreme Court Justice decided that whites who had met all the qualifications for promotion could not be promoted because there weren't enough minorities in the department.

And the kicker? "Working class whites" absolutely love this.

Yeah, cause we are all alike, and that isn't a racist comment.

Right now most non-elite whites feel completely screwed by our current political process. We have two major parties, and no third party that has yet to emerge to challenge either party. One party caters completely to the elites, and the other party caters to minorities allowing them to justify their resentments against working class whites. It is one brand of elitists against another, and both are out to screw the middle class, no matter what their cultural identity is.

There plenty of non-whites who see this as well, and most are smart enough to recognize that we are all getting screwed in this process.

It is because of the nonsense you spewed in your posts that whites people are now starting to stand up and say, we have a right to be proud of our cultural heritage just like everyone else.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The entirety of your post can be summarized in two sentences.

1) White people created everything good and useful in the world
and
2) Nonwhites are useless savages who have never contributed anything to the world.

And you're trying to call me racist. Hilarious.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I believe this sums it all up for us.

No. When you say "white" you are denoting skin color, and that's it. Within that skin color are many, many cultural variations:

Where I grew up in the Southwest there is a very big Anglo culture. Predominanantly Protestant, blue-color, FDR Democrat good ol' boys. They drive pick-ups, love fishin', and you'd have to pry their guns from their cold, dead fingers. They love their country, love their families, and love watching football on Sundays. Outside of the Southwest are lots of variations on this, the so-called "NASCAR crowd," "rednecks," etc.

Go to Boston and you have a great Boston Irish culture. Very American but still very proud of their Irish heritage. Predominantly Catholic working class. They love nothing better than a good drink, a good fight, followed by a good drink. They support the union but don't much like welfare. They work hard and they play hard.

Aside from the language and the food, most working-class Italians are much like the Irish. And they prefer wine over beer and whiskey.

You've got Silicone Valley Yuppies.

You've got old money New England WASPs.

You've got working class New Englanders.

You've got all the Scandinavians of Minnesota and the U.P, the Germans of Wisconsin.

And don't forget about all the great contributions of Jewish immigrants to this country. America would be a poorer, grayer, less interesting places without our Jewish friends and neighbors.

Etc., etc., etc.

When you talk of culture, you're talking of things like religion, language, behavior, economics. And that's true whether you are talking of "white," "black," "brown," or anything in between. Culturally, the Cubans are quite distinct from the Hispanics of the mountains of New Mexico, who are different from the Puerto Ricans in L.A. and New York. My Filipino friends here in Washington are very different from the Koreans and Chinese across town. All of them are very different form the Japanese. But we're all Americans.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
As a black person I do not celebrate Kwanzaa.
I have nothing to do with Black history month
nor the reactionary loons called the Pan Afrikanists.

...And? What's this have to do with anything? Strangely the only people I've ever met who assume this of black people are racist white people.

If white people wish to practice racial pride that is their perogative I support their right to do so.

See, there are a few problems with "white pride."

First off, there really is no "white culture." There's Irish culture, or French culture, or Finnish culture, or Hungarian culture, or Greek culture, but these cultures don't usually mesh together into a whole "white" culture.Attributing some sort of monolithic cultural heritage to Europeans is actually pretty self-denigrating, in addition to just being historically false. Really, why would a Norwegian claim the accomplishments of a Corsican as his own? It's just a little weird.

Second, there's the problem of, what do you get for the guy who has everything? In America at least, white people get all their due recognition, and then some. Like I pointed out, every month is white history month, every day is White Heritage day, etc. So then, what more can you get through white pride? Nothing more can be gained, so people engaging in white pride seek to take away. Just as Poet1b did, just as many other posters in this thread have done, they erase all wrongdoing at the hands of whites, or they justify it as necessary or deserved, while at the same time denigrating nonwhites.

White pride thus is less about feathering the caps of white poeple, and more about stripping them from others.

If they wish to use a "white pride event" to attempt to terrorise my community or mine well that is likely to cause them pain and suffering.

Well, yeah.

I have very close white friends who have proven themselves over decades.
edit on 14-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

I generally don't ask people to "prove" themselves to me. To each his own, I suppose.
edit on 16-1-2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Well I have seen far right groups trying to hold marches in predominantly black areas and claiming them to be white pride marches. I say " No Pasaran" that is why I wrote what I did. All they wanted to do ws to race bait.

Black pride or white pride is an anachrononism in 2011. I merely pointed out my "race" and commented thereon. What is your problem? ANd yes I know there are different white cultures. So what?

I believe that if white prode events are part of modern multiculturalism then so be it. I enjoy St patricks day which is an Irish cultural day and a fine party!

edit on 16-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

These comments have nothing to do with my post. Which is why you have posted nothing up to back these claims.

1) White people created everything good and useful in the world
and
2) Nonwhites are useless savages who have never contributed anything to the world.

You post these statements because they are the opposite of your beliefs, which are that white people never created anything useful, and that any white person who is proud of their heritage sees all non-whites as savages.

Then add this additional comment you made in a follow up post.

they erase all wrongdoing at the hands of whites,

This reveals your true opinion of whites, a deeply racist lie spread by those who seek to stir up racial hatred.

The summation of your beliefs is easy to see from these two posts.

You see whites as racists, and chose not to see anything good whites have done, and choose to concentrate on any negatives whites can be held responsible for. You cling to a set of often told lies about whites and spread racist beliefs.

People like you are the reason whites are starting to realize that it is time to once again stand up for our culture and pride for what we as a people have accomplished.

Maybe you have fallen in to this false line of thinking by bad influences

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join