It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif approves use of pesticide linked to cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Calif approves use of pesticide linked to cancer

news.yahoo.com

FRESNO, Calif. – California regulators approved a pesticide Wednesday for use by fruit and vegetable growers despite heavy opposition from environmental and farmworker groups that cited its links to cancer.

The pesticide is included on California's official list of cancer-causing chemicals, and the department's own scientific advisory panel has raised concerns that it could poison the air and water.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Well, I dont really know what to say about this.....

Is it logical to use a pesticide on fruits and vegtables, that is linked to cancer? Would you use this chemical on your own garden?

This chemical is even included on California's official list of cancer causing chemicals.

Maybe im missing something here?

Officials with Tokyo-based pesticide giant Arysta LifeScience Corp., which markets the product under the brand name Midas, said the approval will help California farmers stay in business even as the cost of farmland and labor keep rising.

"The end result is you've got good quality fruit and vegetables to consume, and you have an abundant supply at a cost that the consumer is interested in," said Jeff Tweedy, head of business development in North America for Arysta LifeScience Corp., which makes the pesticide.

Apparently, you will get good quality fuit and vegtables......

"The industry wasn't going to go under without it, but it's important to keep these tools available," said John Krist, CEO of the Ventura County Farm Bureau. "I appreciate people's concerns about the health risk, but the mere fact that the chemical is toxic is not the issue.

The chemical is toxic, but thats not an issue.....right....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-12-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I saw this story on Anderson Cooper earlier. Was mainly talking about this chemical being used on strawberries. One strawberry farmer said that what he had heard about this chemical "absolutely scared him to death".

Well, I don't think I will be buying strawberries from the market now. I grow my own but have to share them with the
little critters around here. Time to multiply my plants.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It's kind of ironic, because California has warning stickers ALL OVER THE PLACE informing people that the foam in their seat cushion contains chemicals that have been linked to cancer.

But when it comes to cancerous pesticides that GO ON OUR FOOD, they are cool with it.

What. The. Hell.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I once had a teacher back in junior college that taught a course on Soil Management. Before he had become a teacher he had worked for a major agricultural chemical manufacturer (I can't remember who it was 22 years ago
). He stated that they often developed chemicals that were perfectly safe for plants, animals, and humans alike . . .only they could not release them for use in that state. He explained that when a chemical was tested by the lab that there had to be a level of toxicity that could be measured that would be known to cause injury and death in humans/domestic animals. I have forgotten the terminology; it was something like an mds-80 rating or something similar. He further explained that in some situation they would actually have to add additives that were toxic in certain quantities, enough to register in the tests anyway. This was why he became a teacher he had explained. He could no longer deal with the bureaucracy.

Anyway . . .for what its worth, true story . . . no links.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not that I approve of the decision, but I feel that this should be noted, from the article:

Tests have found no traces of the carcinogen in fruit from treated soil.

edit on 12/3737/2010 by Pseudonaut because: formatting, added a few words

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Yay more poison ...I mean protection for our food (or from? i dont know im too braindead anymore! oh look my hair is falling out lolz)! Brb going to drink a nice healthy glass of tap water because I trust my government and know they would never hurt me (it might take awhile to get back cuz tsa set up a naked body scanner in my kitchen lolz)!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
California is a funny State. For Corporation X I worked in many States and when they moved me to California I expected to see very advanced environmental safe equipment being used.

I found the opposite. Equipment from the 1950's other States already banned. I had to get a California Air Permit and the inspector came to look at what we had. I asked her how is this thing legal in California, this piece of equipment would dump hundreds of gallons of hazardous waste down the sewer drain every month.

The State Inspector's response? "I only verify air compliance". She didn't care we were dumping very bad stuff down the drain which went into the local creek, then into the Sacramento River.

California is funny like that. Environmental Law is selectively applied there. I believe it's a political tool by some entities to keep their companies in charge of certain things. such as the normal company could never start up and comply with the law....but some old companies can keep operating and polluting because $$$$ gets the State Inspectors to look the other way.

California is a heavily polluted State. Moreso than most people know of. There's some heavy radioactive contamination in that State and I find it amusing they don't want nuclear power...when their soil is already radioactive and contaminated and will be so for thousands of years.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Holy H Crackers!!! really!!!, Am I doomed to grow my own food, then get arrested for doing so....

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Just more of the simple minds who worry over the slightest thing getting their word out. On the same topic theme, bedbugs which were all but extinct here in North America are now making a major comeback due to the very fact that the chemicals used to wipe them out were banned by the Cali-Green Cartel with help from the DC Cartel. About the same time Geen crap came out during the Gore period, bedbugs began to make a comeback. Now, today they are infesting the US in a major way. Thats what we get for listening to the greenies of the world along with allowing every everyone to enter the US illegally as well as otherwise.

Sleep well.
edit on 12/2/2010 by mikelee because: punctuation

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Don't worry the containers of pesticide already have a label on them that says:

This product contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the State of California.

They toyed with putting their 'cancer label' on french fries and potato chips in 2005.

California wants to serve a warning with fries- NY Times

new topics

top topics

join