It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest country in the world? Prove it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yes you do give alot of aid to nations in need. On the other side of the equation you infected mentally ill people in Guatemala with syphilis. Russia? Nah, china, nope, but everyone together without a veto...maybe just maybe.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jester
reply to post by SaturnFX

so we can leave this planet and colonize others, unless that already happened. We need a new system, some way to stop the madness, and nationalism isn't the answer.

???
don't know what to say about that.
MARS RULEZZZZZZZ!!!!

Earth SUXXXX!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

People on here say we've already colonized the moon, mars etc. Mars isn't fit to lick Earths boots

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

reply to post by grey580

Yes you do give alot of aid to nations in need. On the other side of the equation you infected mentally ill people in Guatemala with syphilis. Russia? Nah, china, nope, but everyone together without a veto...maybe just maybe.

No nation is perfect. In their time other nations have done horrible things.
Spain destroyed the aztec culture.
The English have done some hideous things.
Portugal and the slave trade.

But you gotta remember. The government and the people of the USofA are not the same.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Personally I see nothing wrong with thinking that the land of your birth - IE your people - are great. Show me a single nation on Earth where the citizens aren't proud. Even the people living in mud huts, in the third world, living in abject poverty and perpetual civil war often voice their sense of national identity and pride.

I look out my window and I see green trees, some grass, and the rolling rise of a hill. It is the land I, and my friends and loved ones live on... And I love it. Not out of a misguided or uneducated sense of nationalism... But, rather, out of a sense of loyalty and respect for the little chunk of Earth that shelters me.

Who here will say different of their own worlds?

~Heff

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
Show me a single nation on Earth where the citizens aren't proud.

I think quite a few Brits would put there hands up here. Why do you think I left there years ago?

Check out "Quality of Life Index" for 2009. Click the headings to sort.

Quite an insight. I live in the Number 1 country based on overall score.
USA is 3rd.

Quality Of Life Index

Interesting stuff.

edit on 1/12/2010 by nerbot because: added stuff

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

My original point remains the same then. If the America gov and the American people are two separate entities you're basically saying, I love my country but not what it does. IMO if you live in a real democracy and your government does reprehensible things then maybe your way doesn't equal the right way. Pros and cons exist in every nation, but the unadulterated super nationalism of the states is mind boggling.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As an American:

I'm perfectly ok with stopping all international aid.
Stopping being the first people on the scene to help those hurt by natural disaster.
Stopping being the police of the world who protect people from genocide and other humanitarian issues.

In fact, we should have just stayed out of that whole WWI and WW2 thing.

I think we should develop all the new medical proceedure and medicines that save lives and not ship them around the world.

We should not let others come here for medical treatment when their crappy socialized medicine fails them.

Yeah...we suck all right! America does NOTHING for the world and we SHOULD NOT be proud of what we do.

Before we have nationialism we should be perfect and not debate topics openly under our freedom of speech.
\
Everyone should be happy in this country before we are proud of our country or our freedom.

How dare we be less than perfect and still be proud! After all, what do we have to offer anyone else in the world?

If it wasn't for American innovation of computers you would be sitting in your living room listening to state sponsored radio on your turn of the century tube radio rather than chatting away on a lousy stinking American invention.

We should just be ashamed of what we have done, don't you think?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by Hefficide
Show me a single nation on Earth where the citizens aren't proud.

I think quite a few Brits would put there hands up here. Why do you think I left there years ago?

Check out "Quality of Life Index" for 2009. Click the headings to sort.

Quite an insight. I live in the Number 1 country based on overall score.
USA is 3rd.

Quality Of Life Index

Interesting stuff.

edit on 1/12/2010 by nerbot because: added stuff

Yep I will put my hand up as a non proud Brit.

Actually I would have to modify that to non proud English person as flag waving and national pride is still pretty popular in Wales / Scotland
Most English people reaction to England coming last in a poll or losing at sports or coming top in Europe in obesity is a slight sigh and "well that was bloody obvious to start with" We almost define ourselves on a sense or Ironic humour that things can't get much worse and a slight feeling of low level depression

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" Pink Floyd

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You can take that "quality of life" index and stick it.

Part of the reason the quality of life is so good in other countries is that your governments don't have to spend the money keeping a-holes like Saddam or Hitler off your backs!

Chip-chip-cherry-o! I believe we are about to get our Limey arses kicked. Oh do look Bartholomew... here comes those yanks with all their fancy weapons!

And the medicine thing...and the Universities... if we suck so badly then why do most countries in the world send their people here for a good university education?

Granted our own kids don't usually qualify to go to our own universities due to the teacher UNIONS and Dept of Education wrecking our public education... but these are issues we are arguing about. Being able to legally argue these issues is not a flaw. More mature than the friggin French rioting because the little babies retirement age was raised from 60 to 62. Most of us work until we are dead.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonInMichigan
Part of the reason the quality of life is so good in other countries is that your governments don't have to spend the money keeping a-holes like Saddam or Hitler off your backs!

Newsflash....Hitler has been dead for years as has Saddam and the country of America doesn't have anyone but their own government "on their backs". The things you refer to happen on the other side of the planet from you and your government has chosen to get involved and YOU choose not to put the blame where it lies.

edit on 1/12/2010 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/12/2010 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

No one on here said Americans suck. I am simply pointing out that despite all of what you have stated, the USA is not the best. Do I need to get into American atrocities to counterbalance your pros? Failure to match each triumph? That's not why I started this thread, it has more to do with the arrogance I find inherent in some of the posts I've read. The USA is not the greatest country in the world. You are nothing more then an example of what I was originally trying to state.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I think everyone forgets basic politics when war with despots are brought up. Saddam was originally funded by the USA, if anything they were cleaning up a mess they started. Hitler? How about the fact that the reason America was so helpful in ww2 was because of their vast industrial capacity, the British, Canadian and Russians all did their part, but that fact is hushed up in Hollywood. The focus is the USA.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

America is by no means perfect. But it's one of the few places on the planet where you can live and become whatever you want if you want it bad enough.

As opposed to which countries - you say 'one of the few', in which countries do you believe you can also do this, and in which ones is that not possible? I've seen this many times in different posts .

If I had to give a good reason why america is a great nation. We are probably the first when it comes to giving aid to those countries that have suffered natural disasters.

What information do you base that on?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

While I disagreed with the assertion, the poster did in fact get it right with foreign aid. Americans do contribute more then any other nation in regards to foreign aid. But I haven't searched by national GDP to foreign aid. It could be a skewed fact but a fact nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by wcitizen

While I disagreed with the assertion, the poster did in fact get it right with foreign aid. Americans do contribute more then any other nation in regards to foreign aid. But I haven't searched by national GDP to foreign aid. It could be a skewed fact but a fact nonetheless.

Or per capita.

second

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
really angry about usa showing some movies and programs only in america "not available in your country"

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by giuve424

You are or I am?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonInMichigan

You can take that "quality of life" index and stick it.

Chip-chip-cherry-o! I believe we are about to get our Limey arses kicked. Oh do look Bartholomew... here comes those yanks with all their fancy weapons!

And the medicine thing...and the Universities... if we suck so badly then why do most countries in the world send their people here for a good university education?

Granted our own kids don't usually qualify to go to our own universities due to the teacher UNIONS and Dept of Education wrecking our public education... but these are issues we are arguing about. Being able to legally argue these issues is not a flaw. More mature than the friggin French rioting because the little babies retirement age was raised from 60 to 62. Most of us work until we are dead.

Jon here makes a strong case for why America is the greatest...

not for anything he actually is saying..ignore that, its trash
But, What country in the world can boast about even the most intellectually challenged backwoods hillbilly also has access to a computer and internet.
Jon...your existance on the web here proves that indeed our poorest and most inept have the fruits of technology close at hand. Thank you

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You made my night with that reply. I tried to say that only slightly more diplomatically lol there is something to be said about bluntness. Star for you.

Jester
edit on 1-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join