It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest country in the world? Prove it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I read in alot of threads that Americans believe they have the greatest country in the world. But I must respectfully disagree.

IMO this is what the rest of the world sees as blind patriotism. Zealotry even. Part of the reason the USA is so screwed up is because the government can turn any crisis into a reason to chant USA! USA! USA!

Explain to me, why you are so self assured in your superiority. Why your country deserves to lead the world. As an outsider looking in, the reason escapes me. Scandals erupt everyday in the USA, illegal wars, "democracy", healthcare, racism...

I honestly can't wrap my head around it. To me a measure of a countries worth should be based on several factors, the biggest one perhaps being how happy the citizens of your nation are, or the standard of living being high while still affordable.

Studies have been done, and apparently norway is the number 1 nation on earth...I can't remember if the USA was even top 10.
edit on 1-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: I hate Tucker Carlson

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by the cynic jester

Technically if you really, really look deeply youll find that some of the 2 worst countrys are britain and america, we seem to have lost all sense of inner meaning or modesty

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I know its silly isn't it as everybody knows that the United Kingdom is the greatest country in the world, fact.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
did some quick looking and found a top 100
There you go..

This is based on:

Education
Health
Quality of life
Economic Dynamism
Political Environment

Im number 10.. yay

source for complete list and detailed info about each contry
www.newsweek.com...
edit on 1-12-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

I find it mind boggling. I think Canada is amazing! But best in the world? Maybe if we get our # together. It's like Americans believe military strength and global stature= right to rule. This is not the case. I would say that the right to rule should go to the countries which avoid mass insanity of patriotism.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jester
I read in alot of threads that Americans believe they have the greatest country in the world.

To me, in order to judge the best country in the world, one would have to visit them all for a period of time, living there.

Even then it would be subjective as one might not like one country but another would think it great.

To just puff out your chest and proclaim that the country you live in is the best, without ever leaving it's borders, is simply asinine.

Myself, I love Canada. But is it the best? I couldn't say as I haven't been to them all.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

"As an outsider looking in, the reason escapes me. Scandals erupt everyday in the USA, illegal wars, "democracy", healthcare, racism... "

can your country do those above?

how about carry a weapon all day long
" swear at a police officer
'' start your own business
'' find a dentist
'' make a citizens arrest
'' not have to worry about invasion
'' and a million other reasons

you asked...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The truth is, we started out as a good country. I hate to play the blame game but since the liberal/progressives started forcing their agenda into congress, tv, internet, and daily life via George Soros things have gone downhill very fast.

Our country is losing it's morals and belief in God.
We used to be a nation UNDER GOD.
Now we want to take God out of everything. (And everyone wonders why things are going so badly?)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Exactly, do you think it's simply a matter of indoctrination? Or arrogance? Isn't the "if you don't love america your a terrorist and hate our troops" argument just a little bit revealing.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I can see a lot af anger unfolding on this topic. I would like to take this opportunity to give some advice:

Instead of offering my opinion on America being great itself I will try to share something with you.

In my humble opinion, the human race is at a distinct disadvantage going forward due to the fractured state of our society and the way we associate with each other. At every level, from sports to politics and beyond, we are opposed to eachother in so many varying ways. National identity is a great example of this, where I beleive it can be useful in avoiding the apparent onset of a global dictatorship(which I obviously do not want), it will have to be discarded. We are currently locked in an apparently chaotic struggle between opposing agendas, but we are better than this. We will have to let go of all division and hatred if we are truly going to live in the beautiful place we all deserve to live in.

All it takes is is a cheange of heart.

I love you all

Cheers for listening

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
America is a nice place...not great in any measurable sense...but nice enough

I have been around a significant amount of the world...and frankly, I would find it much easier to identify crap countries verses "greatests"...or even great...nice fits plenty of areas in the world though.

I find the people screaming how the USA is the greatest to be equal in argument to others saying that the USA is the worst...same brain, different angles..both beneath me.

USA is nice. UK is nice, France is..erm..meh, Italy is nice edging on pretty great in some areas, Holland is pretty epic, and I soo desire to make my far east trip..

Anyhow, point is...when you travel around, many places are 6 for the plus, half dozen for the minus...give and take...and the concept of what makes a great country really is just a mindset. a great country may mean fashion and passion (big cities), or unspoiled lands, perhaps rich culture, or religious purity..etc.

America has Las Vegas...that is pretty special...but to counter that, it has Washington DC, making it a wash

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Having lived in the US for ten years I must admit that I miss it alot. I enjoyed working for less and having practically no vacation. Here in Austria (Vienna supposedly being a city with high quality of living) it is boring as hell, people are rude, and I simply hate it. I think you have to try to make it work wherever you are...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arise91

I agree we need to move away from both tribalism and globalism as they have both failed. Stepping forward as a species we need a global governance but it must be fair and equal. Nationalism was part of the reason for ww1. We are all citizens of earth (if aliens ever do contact us, we should be Terrans btw) and if we take a look, it seems we need to do alot of work just to get above the poverty line as a planet.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by paratus

I have done all these things (minus the citizens arrest) and wasn't carrying. Indeed I believe that in most of the 'developed' world you can do these things.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jesterStepping forward as a species we need a global governance but it must be fair and equal.

Agreed...we do need a new world order actually.

because the scary NWO is actually the current world order...a new nwo by the people is desired.

Star for you

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Someone who gets it! Proof that your country is the best doesn't exist it's all a matter of perspective. However the amount of times I've read "America is the best!" then seen this comment starred a million times is ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I read in alot of threads that Americans believe they have the greatest country in the world. But I must respectfully disagree.

IMO this is what the rest of the world sees as blind patriotism. Zealotry even. Part of the reason the USA is so screwed up is because the government can turn any crisis into a reason to chant USA! USA! USA!

Explain to me, why you are so self assured in your superiority. Why your country deserves to lead the world. As an outsider looking in, the reason escapes me. Scandals erupt everyday in the USA, illegal wars, "democracy", healthcare, racism...

I honestly can't wrap my head around it. To me a measure of a countries worth should be based on several factors, the biggest one perhaps being how happy the citizens of your nation are, or the standard of living being high while still affordable.

Studies have been done, and apparently norway is the number 1 nation on earth...I can't remember if the USA was even top 10.
edit on 1-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: I hate Tucker Carlson

Obvious troll is obvious.

America is by no means perfect. But it's one of the few places on the planet where you can live and become whatever you want if you want it bad enough.

If I had to give a good reason why america is a great nation. We are probably the first when it comes to giving aid to those countries that have suffered natural disasters.

And deserve to lead the world? We don't deserve to lead but is anyone else stepping up to the plate? Do you really want Russia being a world leader?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This quote speaks of the things that made the United State of America the greatest nation on earth

"As a teenager, I heard John Kennedy’s summons to citizenship. And then, as a student at Georgetown, I heard that call clarified by a professor named Carroll Quigley, who said to us that America was the greatest Nation in history because our people had always believed in two things–that tomorrow can be better than today and that every one of us has a personal moral responsibility to make it so."
-Bill Clinton

In this greatest of strengths lies its Achilles heel because post 9/11 America has lost its hope and moral obligation to each other, for with the removal of hope for a better tomorrow from hearts and minds of people, nations and entire cultures leads to the delusion of our moral obligation to each other to make the world better for all people. This allows a climate of fear and mistrust to forces people to struggle against each other life is already enough of a struggle without others making it more difficult of one another for this leads humanity to regress from a more civilized state it had attained by causing decay from within this has happened to great peoples of powerful empires which can teach us about where we have failed as a species. For the hopes of all peoples of all nations matter because the ideas and ideals of the Martin Luther Kings dream are universally shared dreams of people who wish to be free and live in a better tomorrow for there sake and yours. These are hopes which are to big to fail and dreams that are to important to fall from our minds because without hopes and dreams there would be no civilization for families to enjoy, because without those forces that will us together and make humanity surpass our wildest imaginations of our happiest dreams

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I've been thinking about that alot. We need a NWO, but one we created. It has to happen, so we can leave this planet and colonize others, unless that already happened. We need a new system, some way to stop the madness, and nationalism isn't the answer.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I think life is what you make it...

Your environment is a sculptor of your comprehension, so you think you have what you want most of the time.
Although having a more likely ability to gain and maintain wealth in the US is a game changer.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'd have to say life is great in my neck of the woods, and I have traveled extensively and observed culture in many places... and there is NO COMPARISON.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join