It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest country in the world? Prove it

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
All countries have issues and it is a whole heap different living in a country and visiting it on vacation. I love my country (NZ) but I would not say its the best in the world - our houses don't even have central heating and there is a lot wrong here, but its pretty cool and quite stunningly beautiful. Not bad surf, too. I loved the UK in parts, and hated it in others (lived there many years). Japan...no thanks, too many buildings and people for my liking and they have no respect for the environment at all, which is odd seeing as the two majority religions (Buddhism and Shinto) are both all about respecting nature (lived there, too).

There are a heap of these global indexes showing the best countries to live and NZ always floats up and down depending on what one you look at. In a recent one (can't remember which) we came in second or third, below Norway and Australia, but in others we drop to 13th place so take those with a pinch of salt. One thing we have on Aussie is that our country isn't crawling with the worlds most deadly snakes and spiders!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by the cynic jester

At the inception, I would agree with anyone that says America was the most profound idea of its time. Europe controlled by raving monarchs and power hungry popes. Africa, ran by tribal chiefs with no capability of modern concepts. Asia stuck in samurai land, Demi God Emperors and confucionism...south america was sophisticated in some ways, but why werent they able to modernize themselves and allow technology to grow like the europeans?

So, at the time of its inception and the huge advantage they had from modern concepts (thanks to our european brothers) such as the absolute fee estate (modern real estate concepts) America simply was a truly great nation. The idea people governing themselves on a local level is still the best idea around, in my opinion.

Today, the unconstitutionally strong central government has derailed that idea. The civil war assured it and WW2 solidified it. We go back to the concept of a small central government and allow us to govern ourselves with a limited central government I think we have the resources, technology, will and most importantly the people to push the world in a direction of real prosperity. We were a model for republics and democracy at one time.

Agreed its not the same today.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Blind or not, the perspective of having a greatest country is patriotism itself.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
At least we have dentists here in America.

I have been to England and Ireland and it's honestly hard to look at some people in the face due to the nasty mess in their mouth they call teeth.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Patriotism is all well and fine. But super patriotism? I have no doubt that each and every country has it's detractors as well as it's supporters. However, some citizens of the USA blame everyone but themselves for the predicaments they are in. As well I have yet to see conclusive evidence brought forward that corroborates the arrogance I see in some posts. I've found debate stifled by people refusing to see the other side of the equation. Simply because the USA is powerful, does not warrant an attitude of we are the best and the rest can stuff it. What I'm calling for (if I'm calling for anything as this is a rant) is for people to open their eyes and not blindly assert their country as the best and leaving it at that. Take a step back and realize while your nation is great, it is not infalliable nor worthy of the moniker best in the world. Try to be balanced and not reactionary when someone calls you out.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

You make a great point. As well you understand what I'm trying bring across. America does not suck, but it also has it's issues and you cannot gloss over this fact and maintain that your country is the best. I will not change any minds with this thread (as it's a rant and burried) but I wanted to bring to light how ridiculous I find it when people can simply state "America is the greatest country in the world" and leave it at that.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

Sigh...dentists? Really? Sorry but a countries dental health really doesn't convince me. How about when I went to Disney world and couldn't believe the amount of overweight people and ugliness? Did I lump all Americans into "fat unattractive" stereotype? No.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I read in alot of threads that Americans believe they have the greatest country in the world. But I must respectfully disagree.

Which country would that be exactly? Respectfully. Oh yes, sorry "alot" is not a word by the way, "a lot" works well thank you.

IMO this is what the rest of the world sees as blind patriotism. Zealotry even. Part of the reason the USA is so screwed up is because the government can turn any crisis into a reason to chant USA! USA! USA!

Oh, The United States, interesting. It is amazing isn't it?
Our politicians are fairly clever sometimes, sure. I have found however, that this is often the case in many countries. They (politicians) are usually very educated and skilled in communication, be that through educational experience or a set of hired writers working through computers and teleprompters.

Explain to me, why you are so self assured in your superiority. Why your country deserves to lead the world. As an outsider looking in, the reason escapes me. Scandals erupt everyday in the USA, illegal wars, "democracy", healthcare, racism...

Hmm,.. I'd rather not, people tend to skip over long replies, then tend to create more bait threads demanding that US citizens explain our views in what usually turn out to be semi clever attempts to bait and bash us all a little more. I'd actually prefer that more US citizens avoided these threads personally, but hey, freedom of speech right? Either way we don't owe anyone any explanations

In the interest of topic conversation however, it will have to suffice that I say this. I love my country because of cultural diversity. We have the best of every nation right here in the US.

I honestly can't wrap my head around it. To me a measure of a countries worth should be based on several factors, the biggest one perhaps being how happy the citizens of your nation are, or the standard of living being high while still affordable.

Don't try to. It is ok. That is a valid opinion on how you feel a country should be judged. Judge yours that way and enjoy your life there. We will surely work our issues out soon in the US, it is just going to take some elbow grease. Thanks for the concern

Studies have been done, and apparently norway is the number 1 nation on earth...I can't remember if the USA was even top 10.

Good job Norway. That's awesome. Maybe the rest of the world can sleep at night knowing that they are number 1 in a poll. I know I will. Congrats Norway!

Have a good day and weekend.

edit on 3-12-2010 by Nephalim because: I didn't edit my reply, I simply enjoy putting extra text down here.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

First and foremost, thank you. Thank you for pointing out one of the more common spelling mistakes people make. You've reminded me I'm not infallible and that perhaps my whole thread is invalid, for I started it with an error.

You're tired of bait threads? Then you must have a hard time posting at all on here.

I've said it before (several times in fact) and I'll say it again. This is not about bashing the USA, this is about me being tired of reading "the USA is the greatest in the world". Having been through similar threads, I can say with some degree of certainty, that many other nations disagree with you, but do not say for example "Canada is the best, or UK is the best. I think some modesty or at least a little reality would benefit the USA.

Put your reasons together. I promise to read your "overly long post". I doubt you will convince me but I have an open mind. However be prepared to wait while I research links and figure out how to post them, so I can counterbalance your pros.
edit on 3-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: Indeed, I wonder if people read these?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

First and foremost, thank you. Thank you for pointing out one of the more common spelling mistakes people make. You've reminded me I'm not infallible and that perhaps my whole thread is invalid, for I started it with an error.

You're most welcome! I wouldn't assume though that your misuse of the word a lot totally destroys the points of your credibility, nor their meanings. I think the whole of points, responses and overall behavior can though, on any forum. Your thread is still valid to those who wish to prove your point, and they may continue to do so if they wish..

You're tired of bait threads? Then you must have a hard time posting at all on here.

Frankly, I do have a hard time posting here, but I do not see this as a bad thing. The sheer amount of content and opinion to read here can be overwhelmingly interesting, because of that, I am mostly content in reading it as a pose to contributing. However, this preference in participation toward the websites I visit, isn't exclusive to ATS.

I've said it before (several times in fact) and I'll say it again. This is not about bashing the USA, this is about me being tired of reading "the USA is the greatest in the world". Having been through similar threads, I can say with some degree of certainty, that many other nations disagree with you, but do not say for example "Canada is the best, or UK is the best. I think some modesty or at least a little reality would benefit the USA.

Indeed, this is a rant thread. I read yours that is neatly placed among the larger pile from the usual suspects. I just don't see a reason in me or any other US citizen, explaining our patriotic beliefs here or anywhere else in order to endulge your attempts (and of those with similar interests) to cleverly destroy any point that other US citizens might attempt to make. It would be silly of them and myself, to post anything showing patriotic measure on your terms. Wouldn't that only serve to prove the point of your rant?
If it suits you though, every nation should be a little more humble and patient with each other in our world. I can see that as a universal truth, and a tremendous asset to people ranting about my country on ATS.

Put your reasons together. I promise to read your "overly long post". I doubt you will convince me but I have an open mind. However be prepared to wait while I research links and figure out how to post them, so I can counterbalance your pros.

No sir but thank you, I'll save you some time and Google some use, as I said.

it will have to suffice that I say this. I love my country because of cultural diversity. We have the best of every nation right here in the US.

You are most welcome to post rebuttal to that one.
edit on 3-12-2010 by Nephalim because: Using the edit button for the sake of more text in a small box below our posts is awesome!

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Melting pot vs cultural mosaic.

There

edit on 3-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: It really is fun. I usually say something disparaging about Tucker Carlson

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jester

Melting pot vs cultural mosaic.

There

edit on 3-12-2010 by the cynic jester because: It really is fun. I usually say something disparaging about Tucker Carlson

Thanks for proving my point.
Have a nice day.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
No matter where you are from and what nation you believe to be best or worse remember that humanity is a family one species

and while their are over 6 billion opinions about who is best and who sucks the most with some agreeing some loathing others with all their hearts

one fact will always be true we are all born on a planet called Earth no matter how much we wish to separate and divide each other we all have this connection for better or worse

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

You want proof............no problem...........

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fredcall

I have no idea how to respond to that. If it's a joke I applaud you! If it's serious then you and I have hit an impasse, and any further discourse would be impossible, because I find that to be one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. But I'm going to go with my gut.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by the cynic jester
reply to post by fredcall

I have no idea how to respond to that. If it's a joke I applaud you! If it's serious then you and I have hit an impasse, and any further discourse would be impossible, because I find that to be one of the most disturbing videos I have ever seen. But I'm going to go with my gut.

Acltually the nuclear bomb is in the process of being replaced by Directed Energy weapon's sytstems....less collateral damage, more directed efficiency in taking out the enemy........

Air Force Research Lab's Directed Energy Directorate
www.youtube.com...

Kirtland Air Force Base Directed Energy Directorate
www.kirtland.af.mil...
edit on 5-12-2010 by fredcall because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join