It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates: Repeal DADT.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Gates has completed the report and in a nutshell, concluded repeal of Dont Ask, Dont Tell is now desired.

Will link to sources when they come out.

Ultimately, it was suggested to do it carefully, through legislation, and in phases to not disrupt anything. But thats it...Military has weighed in...now the question is...does John McCain and the westboro baptist church matter more than the nations military?

Source

In an exhaustive nine-month study on the effects of repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the 17-year-old policy that requires service members to keep their sexual orientation secret or face discharge, the authors concluded that while in the short run a repeal would likely bring about “some limited and isolated disruption to unit cohesion and retention,” it could be mitigated by effective leadership.

edit on 30-11-2010 by SaturnFX because: source

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Just to fully understand what this means:

This person knows what the military wants

This person does -NOT- know what the military wants

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
One more tidbit from the source

The study recommended no housing or living changes as a result of any repeal, which much be done by an act of Congress. The authors also quashed any suggestion that there should be separate bathroom facilities.

I wonder if eventually the case can be made to where seperate quarters in general between men and women is no longer a concern for the military...

Once your past the initial cultural shock consideration..is it really that big a deal?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Thought I'd throw a Washington Post article in here:

'Don't ask, don't tell' report: Little risk to enlisting gays"

Source: voices.washingtonpost.com...

"The risk of repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell to overall military effectiveness is low," said the report's co-authors, Defense Department General Counsel Jeh C. Johnson and Army Gen. Carter F. Ham. While ending the ban would likely bring about "limited and isolated disruption" to unit cohesion and retention, "we do not believe this disruption will be widespread or long-lasting," they said.

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, who requested the report, echoed their sentiments: "This can be done, and should be done, without posing a serious risk to military readiness."

"Now that we have completed this review, I strongly urge the Senate to pass this legislation and send it to the president for signature before the end of this year," Gates said. "I believe this is a matter of some urgency because, as we have seen this past year, the federal courts are increasingly becoming involved in this issue."

Personally, and as a US Marine (non active), I don't care either way. I never saw gay hatred in the military at all, and sure people call each other names like "fag, gay and homo" but it's mostly done in jest. Really, if homosexuals are willing to fight for my country, then that's great...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
Really, if homosexuals are willing to fight for my country, then that's great...

Thats pretty much my view of it also

OMG, everyone get down...enemy is bombing us!!...wait...hold..time out..enemy, stop bombing for a minute, we may have a gay guy on our team...

why some people think the world is run like a 6th grade dodgeball team I may never know.

incidently...I find it interesting this thread ultimately went completely unnoticed. It was cause of many a flamewars before the elections. I guess since the election cycle is over, the spinsters have stopped posting their rightous indignation across the internet posing as regular joes.

But no worries...they will be back in a year to spin yet again...I guess this is the window of opportunity to see exactly what issues actually are peoples concerns, and which is absolute trash issues a year from now when the political machine starts up again

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

She's reading from a teleprompter for good publicity.

I seriously doubt that trashy fool knows much of anything.
edit on 30-11-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by SaturnFX

She's reading from a teleprompter for good publicity.

I seriously doubt that trashy fool knows much of anything.
edit on 30-11-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

If you say so.

incidently, what have you done with your life that supercedes what she has done? or are you just casting stones at people more famous than you...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
defeat communism, don't ask and don't tell...

deny ignorance.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

incidently...I find it interesting this thread ultimately went completely unnoticed. It was cause of many a flamewars before the elections. I guess since the election cycle is over, the spinsters have stopped posting their rightous indignation across the internet posing as regular joes.

Great observation and I completely agree. Without a political motive at the moment, you can tell most people just don't care - and the spinsters, well, that's a sad lot.

new topics

top topics

join