It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Jesus Name in vain�

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ok I don�t want rant about this but all this movies and programs we watch every day most movies and programs uses Jesus name in what I can say in a in vain way like the person gets surprised bay someone and uses the "Jesus" or "Jesus Christ" name as the curse or as a reaction what for, for me that is not acceptable, udder religions names aren�t uses in vain ways so way must Jesus name be used, I gust think there is udder words to uses in that way I don�t like swearing but that�s more acceptable.

What are you�re views on this if you belief in Jesus or not, would you like you�re God name be used in vain lake that.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I still feel it's not much different than using someone else's name in vain. Why not go "Todd Carlson!" when someone scares you or "Mariah James! Someone help me" when your apartment is on fire. I feel that a name is a name, no matter whose name it may be, no matter how it's used. I've personally used a coworkers name on several occasions to describe a certain bodily function, rather than the four and three letter expletives that should go along with it. Either way, it's still a name, being used improperly, and for the most part, no one cares.

I think this is one of those things that falls into the 'If it sounds dangerous, do not try this at home or at all, and if it offends you, just don't listen to it" category.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by kaoszero]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm a christian and I feel it's because of who Christ is. Jesus is God. God is holy, even His name is holy. It's being used out of context. And knowingly or unknowingly it's being used in the context of a swear word.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ive broken that rule a bunch of time, is there some way of repenting so I dont go to hell?

[edit on 2-7-2004 by jrod]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaswegpg
Ok I don�t want rant about this but all this movies and programs we watch every day most movies and programs uses Jesus name in what I can say in a in vain way like the person gets surprised bay someone and uses the "Jesus" or "Jesus Christ" name as the curse or as a reaction what for, for me that is not acceptable, udder religions names aren�t uses in vain ways so way must Jesus name be used, I gust think there is udder words to uses in that way I don�t like swearing but that�s more acceptable.

What are you�re views on this if you belief in Jesus or not, would you like you�re God name be used in vain lake that.

The word "Jesus" is not the name of the man that is written about in the bible. It was a title that was used a lot in ancient time. Amlost like calling some one a sentor. His real name was Yesha bin Yoshef, probably spelled it wrong. Christ was also a title that was used. So technically you are not taking his name in vain becuase that was not his name.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Jesus #ing H Christ, not the religous speech police again!!!!!!!!

Its a word, an exlaimation,. just like any others. If religous guys can preach on TV, so should non religous people use whatever gods name in vain.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I really think that the commandment in question really refers to the proper name of G_D, which is abreviated in the tetragrammaton as YHWH. This, I think, is more of a thing with orthodox Jews who believe that the Lord's name is sacred, and it is handled very carefully.

It is a bad habit, however, and I do it all the time, almost completely unconciously. I should really try to correct that, since it really serves no purpose anyways.

From now on, I'm gonna try to yell "Judas Priest!" or "Jesum Crow!" instead.....

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Its strange because you rarely (possibly never) hear anybody use buddha's, muhammeds, or any of the other religious characters name in the same manner. People that dont even believe he existed will use that name. I think if they realized what they were saying doesn't make any sense in that manner (literally Jesus the Anointed one) they might reconsider. I won't mention any names, but its kinda like using curse words on this board when there isn't any reason too.
DaTruth-I agree with you, that wasn't his name

[edit on 2-7-2004 by KSoze]

[edit on 2-7-2004 by KSoze]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
i heard it was not bad to just say christ, but jesus christ was a no no, i have catholic friends that just say christ.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
With the exception of skadi
this is just a disrespectful thing to say, and by the way, that disrespect can only be discerned by people who believe there should be some respect. But I do suggest you do a bit more research on the 10 commandments and what was meant by this particular commandment versus what the KJV has led you to believe.

The original commandment should be interpreted closer to the following:

"Do not use the name of the Lord God in a vain cause."

In other words, don't commit your hateful acts, your discriminatory acts, your militant acts, your ungodly acts and then try to say it is in the name of God.

A very good example would be:

The Catholic Crusades
and
Jihads

P.S. Silly me - I forgot the Spanish Inquisitions *

[edit on 7-2-2004 by Valhall]

AF1

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I don't have a god, so I have absolutely no problem using your lord's name in vain.

Since I don't believe in hell either, I think I'll be alright.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I have to wonder if you're not supposed to use Jesus or God's name in vain specifically because when you do this.... as you speak the name, you are calling upon him and its kind of like saying hey Mike to someone you know and they turn their head and then you don't really have anything to say. It distracts from others in need.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Read my sig, and desenitisitze yourself.

We do have a teeny thing called the freedom of speech, dude.

RR

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Jesus, as stated above, is not a name perse just as the generic term "god" is not a name of a deity, rather a title given to one. As DaTruth said, it's nothing more than a title such as doctor or senator and the like.

It's always been funny to me when people get all uptight when someone says "goddamnit" because it's really no different than saying "doctordamnit" which when you look at it that way, kind of makes it seem a bit silly doesn't it? Words are just that and if we spent less time getting all worked up over mere words we'd all be better off for it. In my humble opinion of course.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mig12
Read my sig, and desenitisitze yourself.

We do have a teeny thing called the freedom of speech, dude.

I read your sig and all i have to say is "because i choose to"

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Because Americans just have problems with using names or words related to people's sex. They screwed up the English language.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
In other words, don't commit your hateful acts, your discriminatory acts, your militant acts, your ungodly acts and then try to say it is in the name of God.

This is a very good point. There is so much evil done in the name of good. The problem is everyone seems to believe *they* are the rightous ones.

As for swearing, I don't like it because it makes people sound uneducated and crass. I don't tend to take people seriously when they swear a lot. At the same time, I do feel that swearing is necessary sometimes. I think on occasion it can be a catharsis.

I grew up very sheltered, very innocent. I used to get in trouble for saying "shut up"! Now I literaly can't swear. I often think that it would be very good if I could, even rarely. Sometimes there's just no other way to express anger or frustration, and for me that means I bottle it up.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
On that thought....

I was teaching a 1st grade religion class a few years back and we got to a topic in the book actually called "Jesus Christ". When I began to introduce the topic more than half the kids gasped and said "you can't say that - it's a swear". I took a good 10 minutes to explain to them from the Churches perspective that the name was special, holy and to be revered, but to say it "in vain" (and I gave examples, in anger, shock or just to say it for no reason) was in fact wrong because it was disrespectful, yada yada. I finally was satisfied that they got it, after going back and forth for for a time and the conversation seemed to have closed - UNTIL.....

One little boy walked up to me in absolute sincerity, and said "OH!, Mrs. *****", now explain Holy SH**. "

I kid you not!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The name "Jesus" is not a title. It's the English form of Iesous, which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name Yeshua, which, as has been mentioned, was the name used in the New Testament.

Christ is a title from the Greek "christos" meaning "anointed one"

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Eric Cartman on South Park had it right, "I just want to be on my knees, pleasing Jesus.."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join