It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO hits police car - Deputy Sheriff Val Johnson encounter, August, 1979.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Very interesting police UFO incident from North Dakota in 1979 where Deputy Sheriff Val Johnson encountered an unidentified flying object which descended upon his patrol car causing him to lose control of the wheel (and consciousness). When he came to he found that the patrol car had suffered significant damage and both the timepiece in the car and his wristwatch had lost 14 minutes -doctors who later examined the officer also found his eyes were affected as if he had suffered "mild welder's burns".

1979,Minnesota-Sheriff Blinded by Light from UFO:

Police report (confidential):

North Dakota UFO.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1dc1d511522a.jpg[/atsimg]
Full

August 27, 1979-Deputy Sheriff Val Johnson of Marshall County was on duty that night, driving not far from the North Dakota border, when at around 1:40 a.m. he saw a light through his side window. It was obviously not on a road and looked too glaring to be a car headlight.
He first thought it might be a small plane on or very near the ground. He turned left on another road to try to get closer to the light to identify it. Suddenly, the light moved toward him, travelling so fast that it almost instantaneously was upon his car (covering an estimated mile and a half).

Johnson was blinded by the brilliance of the light and heard glass breaking, then lost consciousness.

When he returned to consciousness, the car was stalled and had skidded across the highway. He felt sluggish and shaky. He radioed headquarters, at 2:19 a.m., to request assistance. Soon another deputy arrived, who called an ambulance.

The doctor who examined Johnson found him to be in a mild state of shock.

His eyes were irritated as if Johnson had suffered "mild welder's burns," and Johnson couldn't stand to be exposed to any bright lights.

The patrol car had very peculiar damage. The inside headlight on the driver's side was smashed but not the one to its immediate left. There was a flat-bottomed circular dent on the left side of the front hood, about a half inch in diameter, close to the windshield.

There was a crack in the windshield on the driver's side, that ran from top to bottom, with four apparent impacts. The electric clock was running 14 minutes slow, as was Johnson's wristwatch.

The shaft of the roof antenna was bent over at a 60-degree angle, starting about 6 inches above its base.

The trunk antenna was bent over at 90 degrees, but only near the top. No damage occurred to the car's regular antenna on the front hood. Essentially, all the damage to the car occurred on the left, or driver's side.

Investigations occurred immediately, both by the sheriff's department and by investigators from the Center for UFO Studies. The police determined that Johnson's car traveled about 950 feet after the first damage occurred.

No cause could be found for the event, including collision with another vehicle or a low-flying plane, a hoax on the part of Johnson, or anything else. In addition, experts from Ford Motors (the vehicle was a 1977 Ford LTD) and a team of engineers from Honeywell examined various portions of the damage.

A windshield expert, Meridan French, from Ford, noted after examining the windshield fractures that "Even after several days of reflection on the crack patterns and apparent sequence of fractures, I still have no explanation for what seem to be inward and outward forces acting almost simultaneously. I can only [conclude]... that all cracks were from mechanical forces of unknown origin."

No cause could be found for the clock running slow, the peculiar antenna damage, or other physical traces.

edit on 13-12-2013 by karl 12 because: Fix Link

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Sheriff Johnson's own words:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/680fd6773309.jpg[/atsimg]

"This is Deputy Sheriff Val Johnson... I report in connection with an incident which happened August 27th, 1979, at approximately 1:40 a.m., western section of Marshall County, approximately ten miles west of Stephen, Minnesota. This officer was on routine patrol, westbound down Marshall County Road #5.

I got to the intersection of #5 and Minnesota State #220. When I looked down south #220 to check for traffic, I noticed a very bright, brilliant light, 8 to 12 inches in diameter, 3 to 4 feet off the ground.

The edges were very defined. I thought perhaps at first that it could be an aircraft in trouble, as it appeared to be a landing light from an aircraft. "

"I proceeded south on #220. I proceeded about a mile and three tenths or a mile and four tenths when the light intercepted my vehicle causing damage to a headlight, putting a dent in the hood, breaking the windshield and bending antennas on top of the vehicle.

At this point. at the interception of the light, I was rendered either unconscious, neutralized or unknowing for a period of approximately 39 minutes.

From the point of intersection, my Police vehicle proceeded south in a straight line 854 feet, at which point the brakes were engaged by forces unknown to myself, as I do not remember doing this, and I left about approximately 99 feet of black marks on the highway before coming to rest sideways in the road with the grille of my hood facing in an easterly direction. At 2:19 a.m., I radioed a 10-88 (Officer Needs Assistance) to my dispatcher in Warren."

"He dispatched an officer from Stephen who came out, ascertained the situation as best he could, called for the Stephen Ambulance to transport me to Warren Hospital for further tests, x-rays and observation.

At the time the officer arrived, I complained about having very sore eyes. At Warren Hospital, it was diagnosed that I had a mild case of welder's burns to my eyes.

My eyes were treated with some salve and adhesive bandages put over and instructed to keep them on for the remainder of the day, or approximately 24 hours. At 11:00 a.m., Sheriff Dennis Breckie, my employer, picked me up at my residence in Oslo, and transported me to an ophthalmologist in Grand Forks, North Dakota."

" He examined my eyes and said I had some irritation to the inner portions of the eye which could have been caused by seeing a bright light after dark. That is all I have to add except to say that my timepiece in the Police vehicle and my mechanical wrist watch were both lacking 14 minutes of time to the minute."

Links:

ufologie.patrickgross.org...
www.ufoskeptic.org...
www.ufocasebook.com...
edit on 2-1-2013 by karl 12 because: Fix link

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
wow!

Just when you thought youve read about/heard about it all! lol

This is a very interesting case! Many thanks for posting it!

I wonder if, whatever it was...
Hit his car on purpose or on accident...

Strange....
and very intriguing...
Thanks alot for the thread!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A time distortion field the object travels in by warping space, or the speed it travels would slow time down for it relative to us, so the science behind it makes sense.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
How can a watch lose 14 minutes of time? If he was unconscious or incapacitated for any reason, how can he know 14 minutes is 'missing' ?

That part confuses me.

A watch doesn't record anything, so time passes... it doesn't disappear?

weird..

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
wow!

Just when you thought youve read about/heard about it all! lol

This is a very interesting case! Many thanks for posting it!

Ahmose, thanks for the reply - it certainly is an interesting one and there's been quite a number of very strange police UFO incidents over the years - this is a great thread by Easynow describing one of the more (in)famous ones but there are plenty more listed below:

Police Officer UFO reports

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Here is probably what he meant. His watch and clock were showing 14 minutes later than when he was out. Also all he had to do was call his dispatch and see what time his last call into them was and compare it to his time he was woken up.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I recall they sent out investigators to the place where the car is now, and all the damage is still on it. The car has been stored ever since.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

The way I understand it, when one experiences high strangeness, such as in a UFO encounter, watches and clocks stop working. However, once things return to normal they begin working again. At which point one simply has to check a watch or clock that was not present during the incident and find the difference between the times.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Maybe the officer was drunk and needed a story

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Haven't watch the video clip yet, but I was disappointed when I viewed a show that actually showed the police car.
I would not call it signification damage what so ever. I've seen a bird create more damage then what was done on that patrol car.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Pfft. I'll tell you what the most logical argument is, and it most certainly wasn't a UFO.

Obviously, it was a weather balloon! /sarcasm

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Ok, fair calls on the missing time.

Still an interesting story.

Pity people like him are always "over there" and we can never get them on ATS.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysteryskeptic
I would not call it signification damage what so ever. I've seen a bird create more damage then what was done on that patrol car.

Hi Mysteryskeptic, thanks for the reply - it's probably worth watching the video as it's a pretty interesting one and the vehicle interference/ physical/ physiological aspects of the case are all quite intriguing - after reading through the report I also think it's fair to say Officer Johnson's patrol car did sustain significant damage - the link here goes into more detail about the headlights, hood, windscreen, antennas and the subsequent investigations carried out by CUFOS and the Ford Motor company - the windscreen expert from Ford also had this to say:

"Even after several days of reflection on the crack patterns and apparent sequence of fractures, I still have no explanation for what seem to be inward and outward forces acting almost simultaneously. I can only [conclude]... that all cracks were from mechanical forces of unknown origin."

Meridan French, Ford Motor Company windshield expert

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO
Maybe the officer was drunk and needed a story

Murray, I don't know if you watched the video either but in it there's quite a bit of credible character witness testimony submitted by Sheriff Johnson's fellow officers - as for his car battery being flat, the clocks not working and the damage to his eyes and car, I can of course only speculate but to my mind it seems a bit cynical (and flippantly dismissive) to just assume he was drunk - here are some other multiple officer witness statements from down the years, do you think they were all drunk too?

“It was approximately 50 feet in length. There were portholes on the side but there were no visible signs of propulsion. The ship appeared to be metallic and gave off a bright glow. There was a low whirring sound coming from it.”
Police Constable Brian Earnshaw - Bacup, Lancashire,October 1969
Two other uniformed officers, PC Colin Donahoe and Malcolm Reader also witnessed the object from a different location.

“There was an eerie, greenish-grey glow in the sky. Then I picked out an object about thirty feet long and built up in three sections with the top looking like a dustbin lid. It gave off a high pitched whine. I was paralysed. I just couldn’t believe it.”
Police Constable Colin Perks - Wilmslow, Cheshire,March 1966

"The light would throb with an increased intensity prior to each change of colour and hover in the sky for some time and then dart and cover large distances, doing a number of right-angled turns at high speed".
Senior Constable Andrew Luhrs -Gladstone,Southern Australia,May 22, 1996

"I happened to look up and there was that UFO right above the cornfield, it was just hovering right up above the power lines. -i t was just like the ones you see on TV.
Then it took off like a bullet, just tremendously fast -if I live to be 100, I'll never forget it,"
Henrico County Sheriff A.D. "Toby" Mathews Richmond , Virginia, United States August 9, 1966

"At first I though we were seeing a ship on fire on the horizon towards Ilfracombe. But then it rose out of the water like a blood-red sun, a good deal larger than a full-sized harvest moon.It remained at sea level, then suddenly took off at a fantastic speed towards the Atlantic."
Chief-Inspector Reginald Jones, of "D" Division, Glamorgan Police - object also witnessed by another officer,09-01-1957.

"It was cigar shaped and yellow in colour.It travelled along slowly for a few seconds, then shot off into the night at a fantastic speed. We didn’t know what it was, nor had we ever seen anything like it but many reports have been made at the police station of strange lights and objects".
Police Constable William Bryne -Banbury, Oxfordshire.
Object also witnessed by Police Constable Perry Jackson.

"It was a giant plate of light. It lit up the whole horizon with a glare. It was flying low over the landscape and appeared to be spinning"
Police Constable Eric Pinnock - Warminster, Wiltshire,30/11/65

There was light coming out from little windows and light changed colors several times, from soft blue to red to green and other colors. It didn't spin or anything. It just hovered around there -then the thing just picked up and took off, north west, toward Satartia."
Madison County Sheriff's Deputy Kenneth Creel - Flora, Mississippi, United States,February 10, 1977

"We made several attempts to follow it, or I should say get closer to it, but the object seemed aware of us and we were more successful remaining motionless and allow it to approach us, which it did on several occasions.Each time the object neared us, we experienced radio interference.
The object was shaped like a football, the edges, or I should say outside of the object were clear to us...the glow was emitted by the object, was not a reflection of other lights".
California Highway Patrol Officer Charles A. Carson - California, United States, August 13, 1960.
Object also witnessed by Police Officer Stanley Scott
Object also witnessed by Highway Patrolman Louis Younger

"The bulk of the object was plainly visible at this time and appeared to be triangular shaped with a bright purple light on the left end and the smaller, less bright, blue light on the right end. The bulk of the object appeared to be dark gray in color with no other distinguishing features. It appeared to be about 200 feet wide and 40-50 feet thick in the middle, tapering off toward both ends. There was no noise or any trail. The bright purple light illuminated the ground directly underneath it and the area in front of it, including the highway and the interior of our patrol car.
After arriving at approximately its original position,it went straight up in the air and disappeared at 25-30 degrees above the horizon."
Deputy Sheriff Bob Goode Damon, Texas, United States September 3, 1965
Object also witnessed by Chief Deputy Billy McCoy

He just stood there with his mouth open for a minute, as bright as it was, and he looked down. And I started looking down and I looked at my hands and my clothes weren't burning or anything, when it stopped right over on top of us.The only thing, the only sound in the whole area was a hum...like a transformer being loaded or an overloaded transformer when it changes....
.... it went PSSSSSHHEW, straight up; and I mean when it went up, friend, it didn't play no games; it went straight up."
Deputy Sheriff Dale Spaur, Portage County Incident, Ohio, April 17, 1966
Also witnessed by Deputy Wilbur Neff.

"This object came at us from the west. At first it looked like a red hot piece of coal about the size of a quarter held at arm's length. In a matter of seconds it was as large as a ruler held at arm's length. That is when it came to a complete stop.
"The shape of the object was distinct. The body of the object was solid bright red and it gave off a pulsating red glow completely around the object. The object hovered a few seconds, then made a left turn and again hovered for a few seconds, then went straight up like a shot. We watched it until it completely faded beyond the stars."
Patrolman LeRoy A. Arboreen - Dunellen, New Jersey, United States December 20, 1958
Object also witnessed by Patrolman B. Talada

link

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The saucer was “egg-shaped”, about 200 feet long, and glowed in the dark. The mechanic said he’d never seen a car with every single light bulb blown out, without there being a blown fuse or any other evidence of a short or other electrical malfunction. I suggested that the tungsten filaments were damaged because the strong electric field around the saucer had caused the filaments to burn out or break, as the weakest links in the circuits, already weakened by their white-hot temperatures, when the saucer hovered over the car. The magnetic field in the car, induced by the strong electric field of the saucer, would cause the electrons in the light filament and circuitry to spin like crazy.

from Lyne's Pentagon Aliens

ED: There are also physical forces in the Tesla wave suspension and propulsion.
Would there be micro forces that might pull apart filaments. That might depend upon the
frequency of the induced forces. The damage to cars takes physical force and well no
one says so but it sure is ignorant for people not to say so. Tesla saying his ship is
suspended from above and if by waves of force at some repetitive frequency then
might not the wave continue past the ship to the objects below the ships.
The crew of the ship has no idea how the Tesla ship works do they.
Thats the story from this episode.

edit on 11/30/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

"UFO hits police car"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

*falls out of chair*

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Halp! *wipes tear* Oh Gawd! That was great. I hope that's true. Funny as he!!.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse
reply to post by karl 12

"UFO hits police car"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

*falls out of chair*

Yes, what a hoot - good job officer Val Johnson wasn´t seriously injured though.

Here´s another police incident involving a similar object description from one year earlier - this time the officer suffered burns to his face and chest.

1978-Police Officer Suffers Burns from a UFO:

THE FRESNO BEE-Manuel Amparano talks about sighting an unidentified flying object at 3:32 a.m. May 13, 1978, as if it happened only days ago.
Coming face-to-face with a UFO creates vivid memories.
Amparano's sighting is one of the most detailed of the many accounts of UFO sightings in the Fresno area documented over the years in The Fresno Bee and on Web sites.

The Fresno resident was working as a Kerman police officer.

"It was just a routine patrol," Amparano says of the encounter 24 years ago.

His early morning sweep took him past Kerman High School. At Del Norte and California avenues, Amparano saw "a circular-type thing, similar to a round fireball or a setting sun, about 100 to 150 feet off the ground."

He knew local teens had been setting palm trees on fire, and he thought he had caught some young vandals red-handed.

"Then I realized there were no palm trees in the area. The fire seemed to be inside of an oak or maple tree. This thing started lifting up," Amparano says.

The officer started adjusting the spotlight on his patrol car to get a better look at the object. But just before he turned on the light, there was a bright blue flash. Then the object made a sharp turn and moved away toward the southwest at a rapid speed.

Amparano had not left his car. And the windows were rolled up because it was a cold evening. He did not hear any other noise except for the engine of his car.

The Air National Guard, weather bureau and the Fresno Air Terminal told Amparano nothing unusual showed up on any of their radar screens that night. The encounter might have been dismissed as an optical illusion, if not for the burns Amparano suffered on his face and chest.

"It was like a sunburn when you fall asleep at the pool. There were white blisters on the parts of my body facing that light. I also had trouble with sunlight. It was like right after you have your eyes checked and they are sensitive to light. That lasted about a week," Amparano says.

Doctors at Fresno Community Hospital told Amparano the burns appeared to be caused by microwaves.

An immediate search of the cotton field where the sphere had been sighted revealed no evidence. But for years, nothing would grow in a round area in the field. Today the spot is part of an almond orchard.

link

If you´re interested, there´s also a relevant article here about the police officer UFO witness which discusses the credibility and reliability of people highly trained and experienced in reporting what they see.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Klass attempts to debunk Val Johnson incident:

In his 1983 book UFOs: The Public Deceived, UFO skeptic Philip Klass argued that the entire event was a hoax, and that Johnson had deliberately damaged his own patrol car..

link

edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Officer Johnson's skid marks:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1e1838c22d7.jpg[/atsimg]

Encounter of the Decade, by Chris Rutkowski.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

The saucer was “egg-shaped”, about 200 feet long, and glowed in the dark. The mechanic said he’d never seen a car with every single light bulb blown out, without there being a blown fuse or any other evidence of a short or other electrical malfunction. I suggested that the tungsten filaments were damaged because the strong electric field around the saucer had caused the filaments to burn out or break, as the weakest links in the circuits, already weakened by their white-hot temperatures, when the saucer hovered over the car. The magnetic field in the car, induced by the strong electric field of the saucer, would cause the electrons in the light filament and circuitry to spin like crazy.

Hey T+L, have finaly started the E-book, will let you know how it goes.

Pentagon Alien by William Lyne

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83670970b14a.jpg[/atsimg]

Link (pdf)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join