It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens will not come until we stop hugging each other

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
By the way, the act of shaking hands came about to show someone you weren't carrying a weapon. So yes, some things are very barbaric even though you said this tongue and cheek.

Yes, their are many thing we do today which are rooted in warfare and savagery from our past. The salute is from knights raising their facemask to show their face to one another for identification. raising your hand to show a empty hand without weapons (now just a form to say hi), etc...interesting habits we pick up because of our warlike nature.

Its not too hard to believe that any one of these or a hundred other quirky things we do may cause an alien race to be a bit stand-offish

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

As good a place as any for this video I think...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Totally off topic...but truely awesome video anyhow. heh

that tomato was hot!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Correction: "Aliens" will not come until will START hugging each other

But let's not get too flaky about this.

EDIT: But seriously, WTH? It's a sign of affection, friendship etc. It's actually the opposite of any "violent gesture".

The fact that you let someone so close to you (enter your private space) is a sign of acceptance. It may be primitive from some point of view, but that's what we are: animals. It's not like someone is forcing you to hug people, it's just a thing you do when you feel like it's appropriate.

When we lose these basic things, boy, are we lost.
edit on 26/11/2010 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I was about to say, everybody start hugging for all you're worth, because I for one don't want any aliens coming here that don't like displays of fuzzy emotions
Not that I am actually big on hugging, but I do like it from and towards those that I love. You really caught me there with your subject

What do I think they could possibly dislike? ... I think they would seriously dislike the way we treat each other. The self-righteous I am better and more deserving than you attitude. I think not only would that scare them, if they're the good guys, but it would sadden them and make them steer clear from us. If they're the bad guys then they would probably just add fuel to the fire.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There are only two ways for an alien race to be successful

1. Open minded and understanding about others ( species ) and there ways.

2 To excel at war and destroy everything that is different.

.I think...

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
no hugging huh ????
hmmmm

I bet the Alien female species
are getting mighty lonely by now

So the question remains:
will I give up hugging earth women
so Aliens will visit ???

ummmm

The Aliens will have to wait

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Basically you could have just said that the Aliens are never coming. If hugging (amongst other things) is what prevents Alien contact, then we are never going to have alien contact. Hugging, at least in human terms, is a sign of affection, not possession. It cannot be possession as, in most cases, a hug is consented between two individuals. Or, it is asked for and then recieved or given. It is our way of showing those we care about that we do, in fact, care. Other forms and levels of physical contact express other forms and levels of emotional attatchment.

We will NEVER stop "hugging" each other, for we are humans, and physical contact has become a central part of what it means to be human. Since I believe that, one day, we will encounter another race of sentient beings, I cannot believe that something as simple as a hug is what is preventing Aliens from making contact. More practical reasons are:

1) We are not technologically advanced enough
2) We are not evolved enough as a society
3) They are not certain of a positive response from humanity

Any of the above are possible reasons. If we lack the technology/knowledge to even (fundamentally) understand how they are able to traverse the stars, we are primitive in their mind. You wouldn't bother walking over to a cow and trying to discuss the weather, would you? Sure, the cow is alive, but it is unevolved and beneath your interest. And, as a society, we are completely divided. Lines are drawn to seperate countries, and even more lines are drawn to seperate states or provinces. The individual states and provinces bicker constantly, as do the Governments of individual countries. We are hardly a unified species. And, if they believe our response would be negative or hostile, they would refrain from making contact. Why waste lives needlessly, when one can simply be patient and wait for a more opportunistic moment?

GtkP

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Firstly, there are no aliens. The very definition is obsolete.
Second, touching is a very intimate part of any species growth. Including hugs, kisses, and other ideas developed on Earth.
Third… this conversation is thought-provoking in other ways but irrelevant to the thread title.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
The Aliens will have to wait

Right...ultimately thats the idea I was trying to raise...there is discussion about how aliens wont come because we have starving people, or because of our nukes, or religion, or war...etc etc etc...all these things that we as simple humans can agree is generally a bad and/or stupid thing...and the solution is simple...if we want ET to come based on this..we simply do away with whatever it is.

But what if it isn't something simple but rather a alien concept that we simply cannot get around as to why they would want us to not bother with us.

most seem to be missing the point however of this thread..I guess its lack of reading or something..who knows.

What if aliens will not come until everyone whom posts in internet threads always read the entire thread before posting...ya...then we would be waiting

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4truth

You made a statement as fact...now you must prove it

Second, touching is a very intimate part of any species growth. Including hugs, kisses, and other ideas developed on Earth.

species growth also includes domination and submission...are we not meant to rise above our primitive heritage?

Third… this conversation is thought-provoking in other ways but irrelevant to the thread title.

I think the thread title is fine..this is ultimately a discussion about anthropomorphic tendencies in the ufo community

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

You must have missed the memo . . . the "aliens" are already here!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by prepared4truth

You made a statement as fact...now you must prove it

species growth also includes domination and submission...are we not meant to rise above our primitive heritage?

I think the thread title is fine..this is ultimately a discussion about anthropomorphic tendencies in the ufo community

Well nothing is "alien" in a universe where it is all home to some form of consciousness or another. Nothing comes from "outside" the universe, as there is no space or time outside of our universal home. Thus alien is an obsolete term. "Extra-terrestrial" is more befitting.

True, there are actions in our heritage which we have risen above. However, to an "advanced civilization", everything we do is liable to be labeled primitive. Does this mean we should abandon all growth patterns? Hugging is one of our more friendly gestures.

By an irrelevant thread title, I mean that we could go more in-depth into primitive patterns we have which might "offend" "aliens". I understand your point but this might've been a much deeper thread.

That's all I'm sayin.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Maybe it's because I'm actually Afrikaans and I am misunderstanding a little?
Although I must say, at least I GOT that you're NOT trying to say that you believe that we should all stop hugging, I did actually read the OP but evidently I just missed the whole part where you are asking for our thoughts to be related to something more complicated, that we are not prepared to give up, like hugs. I read it again, I still don't see where you are stating that you want our answers to be focused on what would be unacceptable to them but unacceptable for us to give it up, but like I said, that could just be a language barrier.

That said, I must say, I did notice that most posters didn't even notice that you were not saying that we should all stop hugging and you believe that it's right. That it was simply an example. Like they read the first para, then jumped to the part where you asked for thoughts.

As to what would be my thoughts if you want it based on something that would be unacceptable for us to give up? If I look at what's around us, and I listen to everybody, you have those that say, make another plan, but most, including my husband says, no, we can't live without it ... I'm talking about the mining of gold, oil, etc. I think they would think the way we are ripping the earth apart is abominable, to steer clear from us before we do it to their planet ... And yes, I am one of those few in the minority who thinks ... make another plan, figure out a different way, I don't have the answers, but I think it's necessary for the world to put their heads together and make another plan. Change the whole way we work things here, I think the way we rip the earth apart for black gold, gold etc is heart breaking, she takes care of us and all our needs and we are ripping her apart and killing her in return, and for what? greed?

Sorry went a little off topic there in the end
passionate about it, what can I say?

Anyway, I'd like to think, they have evolved to the point where destroying the hand that feeds you, is not such a great thing. At the same time, I believe that whatever is out there, in regards to good and bad, is pretty much the same as here on earth, the baddies, would, as I said, just add fuel to the fire. So your answer depends, I guess, on which ones are you talking about? The baddies would obviously want something that we would want too, if the thing that's unacceptable to the good guys, is a bad thing that we're not prepared to give up. ie the enemy of my enemy is my friend. So who are we talking about? The good aliens or the bad aliens, be they arachnids (heaven forbid) or whatever
(I watch too much sci-fi! lol) Am I explaining that properly?

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
double post, sorry
edit on 26-11-2010 by Fenix777 because: double post

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fenix777

For a person whom does not have english as their primary language, you appear to have understood the point better than most of those whom do speak english.

Yes, to both...you could use this as either things you wouldn't give up, or what you think may be habits such aliens would find offensive that is not the normal "they want us to stop war or religion"..or alternatively..you could even theorise on what you would not find acceptable in a different alien culture...its a pretty free form conversation that is little more than a warning and consideration when we try to guess what a completely different species would find negative about us that we have not really considered, or have no plans in ever changing.

and correct...I was not trying to say we need to stop hugging. haha...but oh well..people have trouble reading beyond a few sentences in general. I blame western politics that try to sum up entire complex ideas and ideals into 3 word phrases.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I love to hug people because it's a personal, sometimes intimate embrace. It just gives you that feeling of closeness to the ones you love. Also, you feel a somewhat sense of security. What's wrong with passion? I often wonder if the people who are so against, or uncomfortable with affection and intimacy, grew up in a loveless household absent of physical contact...? Perhaps something more sinister lies behind it, like maybe they're rape or child molestation victims...? So what if the act of hugging may originate from "ownership"? I think everyone needs to be somewhat "owned". People need others there to "keep them in line", for lack of a better term. Ya know, people who truly care for their well-being, people who will pick them up when they are down. Unity and community are wondeful things, and there's not enough of it. Don't most people sometimes think in terms of "that's MY kid, MY father, MY husband", ect.? I would hate to feel like a complete loner with no emotional bond with anyone. Someone actually used the term "emotional bond" in a negative way. It's those who are unable to bond emotionally with another or don't have any love towards others who are frightening.

On a side note, I really couldn't care less what aliens approve or disapprove of.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Well Saturn, IMO there are a few things keeping the ET's away from Earth.

#1--There probably exists some intergalactic law ( this is assuming there are aliens of all kinds and that they are somehow bound to a galactic government) which prevents them from messing with lower forms of life.

#2--The only thing humans have done since our creation or evolution is find new and easier ways to kill each other. If I was a highly advanced race of people looking at us, what would you do?

#3--They probably are already here en mass and are simply bidding their time to strike and take over. Probably to farm our DNA or extract our natural resources. Let's face it, only evil aliens would do something like this.

#4--We are unable to unify over any issue whether it be poverty or affluence, race, economics etc. What makes us think we are "ready" for a super advanced race to see us as equals?

So those are my reasons why I think they aren't here yet, or won't say hello.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
As odd as this idea may be for a 'normal' compassionate person, it is a very interesting thought indeed. Forget about the whole Alien thing, let us look at this "hugging" concept logically in regards to our own species perspective. One must logically conclude that the opposite of hate is love, and vice versa, thus as long as there is 'love' there must be 'hate'. This is the dualistic nature of human thought. The question that comes into play here is; is there another dimension of consciousness beyond the dualistic one of the 'thinker'? And if so, and if we are able to experience such a state, what implications would this have on our species and its survival? Can life be sustainable in such a state of consciousness?

Second, on the topic of hugging and possession, if we are to conclude that we hug out of compassion, to heal and share, and we explain partaking in such actions by saying; "I" hug "my" family at funerals to comfort them, or "I" hug "my" GF during sex out of love, or "I" hug "my" friend when greeting them to exchange energy, then we are clearly implicating possession with the words "I" and "my". We also are clearly implicating a division or separation between "us" and "them", and one may say this is purely an illusionary perception of a dualistic thinker.

Lastly, we must ask ourselves the question of whether compassion is merely a physical or thought provoking outwardly act, or could it be something deeper/beyond? Could it simply be, being aware of what has/is happening, without acting one way or another?

I do not have these answers, I just am merely posing these questions for others to think about. I know it may challenge ones own thoughts, as they do mine, however, these are things that may or may not define our species as being 'primitive'.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I don't think you give the aliens enough credit.

It is quite likely that they are as advanced above us, as we are to bacteria.

They will know what hugging means to our primitive species, and will not frown upon it, because they recognize the love and affection that it represents to our primitive society. Hugging is not just for personal gain but also for compassionate empathy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join