It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens will not come until we stop hugging each other

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I believe the Vietnam war was real or orchestrated to make money.

Oh dear. A conspiracy theory. Still, I suppose that's what one has to expect on ATS. How much money did the Vietnamese make out of it, do you think?

Yes we are advanced in weaponry, but dont you think if we were been visited by a superior ET race that they wouldnt have better tech than us?

The point is that technology is only one factor, and not always a decisive one. Look at what the Taliban are doing to the Nato forces in Afghanistan. And what their predecessors did to the Russians. Since we know Earth better than any alien, we could probably wear them down and drive them away the same way the Taliban will do to ISAF eventually.

I think, if they are here, this planet is a lab.

They are not here. We are not that stupid.

edit on 27/11/10 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Fenix777

Jonah? I'm lost, how are you being a Jonah?
Maybe I should ask, who's Jonah, is he somebody here that does something bad? I'm new remember?

Jonah was an Old Testament prophet renowned for his gloomy predictions.

Ok, permission, if I was a black widow spider, female, I have now mated, now I eat my mate. To me, that is normal, hence I have permission to do that, I have permission to do that, because it's in my nature.

Permission from whom?

we can't hold (black widow spiders') nature against them.

Neither should we hold our nature against ourselves. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to overcome its worst manifestations, when we can. But mostly, we can't.

As for your last comment, I don't understand.

Merely stating that we can't help ourselves. The change in South Africa didn't come about because well-meaning people brought it about--though their efforts were very much a part of it. It came about because historical processes and conditions made the South African apartheid state unviable.

edit on 27/11/10 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Um...yeah this is the first time I have ever seen hugging compared to possessiveness....Hugging is not showing possession it's a gesture. I love hugs, hugs make me smile and feel good.

So you think aliens will come if we stop hugging? Am I getting this right or what?

I think aliens will come when they are darn good and ready and nothing we say will change that. We can't really predict what they will do just like we can't predict what we will do when they do happen to show up....that is IF they do.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Oh, that Jonah ... yes you are being a Jonah
It's ok, we still love you
I think it's good to have a healthy dose of both, pessimism and optimism. Just don't completely give up. If everybody believed that we can't change anything, then yes, we are doomed.

From whom do we get the permission? You are reminding me of my kids, you are taking me way too literally. But if you really want a from whom, then I guess from humans would be as good an answer as any. That's not the point though, the point is the entire concept of unaware vs aware. As species with reason as opposed to a species without.

Of course we should, we have the capacity to learn from our mistakes, we are accountable. They don't.

But of course, history and circumstances were nonviable, as you said, my point is, that were they to believe, as you do, that it can not be changed, then we would still be stuck in the apartheid years. They would never have come to where they are today, had they not changed it. Non of us would have. And we did it, by standing together and making it change. History is history and circumstances of that history is just that, it's in the past, it happened, it made them aware, but that's as far as it can go, the final move to make the change, was their choice alone. History didn't stand up and make a change, it can't, it's an inanimate object. Only people can. Black Widows can't, they're oblivious to apartheid, and quite frankly I think they wouldn't give a damn, if they decide to hatch their eggs in your bed, there's not much you can do about it, except paranoidly (I don't think that's a real word
) check your bed every night before you get into it. Point is, they are incapable of standing up and making a change, they don't even fathom the concept. But we do, and that's what sets us apart, and that's also, ironically what makes us responsible. And therefor we should hold our nature against us, learn from it, and evolve. I'm not talking about hugs here, I'm talking about the bad stuff we do, like war.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Felt like bringing a post I made back here to see if anyone would respond to it.

First off..the hugging thing...first issue...saying if aliens want us to stop hugging = bad aliens is a judgement. Why would that make them "bad"? What if they simply see such things like hugging in public the same way we see oral sex, or spitting on someone (suddenly pet detective 2 comes to mind).

Anyhow, as pointed out...this isn't a call to stop hugging...this is a "we have no concept what an alien would want...because their thinking may in fact be totally alien to our way of thinking."

It is a attempt for cultural reflection.

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Another thing to consider...

Lets say -we- are the aliens...we are flying around in our cool space ship, find a planet with being very much like ourselves...

the one difference is, they see full on intercourse in the same exact light we see handshaking or hugging...to say no would be considered a bit rude, like refusing the handshake or hug...you meet them, and immediately they take their clothes off and expect sex right there with everyone.

to them, this may seem like a perfectly natural and generally unremarkable sign of light affection...but to us, we would be horrified at the prospect..(to all the juvenile mindsets out there (like mine)...its -not- with people you chose...or even the gender you choose...its with any and all)

that may help you...would you then, being the alien in this situation, even want to make contact with them?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
To further the example...

I enjoy hugging of course...I also enjoy a handshake..and as pointed out, the handshake is actually rooted in warfare..so is a wave. I can say I do it because of this reason or that which has nothing to do with where it came from..
but..
what if, instead of developing a handshake when meeting someone, instead we gave a person a solid hard punch right to their face as some sort of friendly tribal greeting...imagine everyone you meet..you punch their face and they punch yours...this is considered friendly, commonplace, tests the strength of both partys, etc...and not just guy to guy...you and your girlfriend/wife go visit this place and the first native you meet punches you, you punch him, he punches your girl, etc...its a complete cultural norm...and everyone walks around with black eyes and broken noses without even considering this to be a violent act..its simply respect.

try not to get bogged down with any specific example...rather, try and spend a few moments considering how we have created cultural norms that a alien species would find horrific..not the stuff we -know- to be horrific..but stuff we would simply not give up because we are used to it, we have adopted it as core to our way of life, and if a outside source said it was something not desirable..we would become almost angry in its defense no matter what..

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Yes, we would become very defensive of our way of doing things. Like the way the black widow will bite you if you try to change her way of eating her mate. To us it's abhor-able, to her, it's her norm. it's her way, she doesn't know any other way.

So would the answer then rather lie in simple respect for the other ones ways? They don't strip down when greeting us, try to greet us our way, or we find a new way altogether. And we don't punch em in greeting
lol, I can not stop grinning at that one it's hard to fathom, but I understand the point of it, although if you punch me, I just might use some sort of tool to whack you one back

So to get back to my point, wouldn't the answer then rather lie in mutual respect for each other's ways?

I have another idea that might fit here, what if they're all naturalists, and want us to become nudists with them? They might find the way we wear clothing abhorring, because focuses on status, or vanity.

Would you wanna get naked with the aliens?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

No. I believe they won't come til we stop farting. Because farting in those spaceships *a undoubtly confined space* causes all sorts of problems. :p

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

No. I believe they won't come til we stop farting. Because farting in those spaceships *a undoubtly confined space* causes all sorts of problems. :p

Actually...even though that post is toungue in cheek...our minor passing gas may indeed be a show stopper for them...for all we know, methane even in small doses may be highly lethal to them.

So ya, I don't see too many sunday brunches with them without one side wearing full spacesuits.

Also, they may have no ears or eyes, and communicate fully through smell...imagine trying to communicate with that...and how they would view our putting cologne on...might as well be wiping a rotting animal carcass over ourselves.

using soap to clean and mask our scent may be absurd to them also..

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is slightly off topic, but having read through this thread, it is also an excellent example of how many people reply without having actually read the OP, just the title.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

how about not accepting a universal consciousness being the reason there not public yet!

think about this..if everything is symmetrical and every one think is made up of smallert things that make up that bigger thing and that bigger thing is amongst many other that make up and even bigger thing and infinitely going on as such!

then the world conscious needs to be on one page before an alien made itself public b/c the universal consciousness doesnt just include all the aliens outside earth it contains us aswell and aslong as we are not apart of this consciousness b/c we have so many mixed thoughts and ideas trying to be shoved on others..

WE ARE CONSIDERED MENTALLY UNSTABLE! (BASICALLY WE ARE THE SCHIZO'S OF THE UNIVERSE)

why? b/c we have so many different voices and ideas and are mentally unstable as a EARTH!

and b/c the EARTH consciousness is NOT on ONE page we are on psycho watch!!

a war between contries is like 2 diff personalites inside a brain fighting for control of the body! get it?

so UNTIL we become ONE there just observing like a doctor would an unstable patient!

this is why a one world gov. is needed not countries but ONE EARTH!! that is the only way we will advance as a species!

but everytime someone has tried to do it like hitler they were looked at as a anti christ yes he went about it wrong!

but how else you really gonna get primitive minds to unite without taking them over?

thats why what hitler done was necessary not saying he was correct on everything but think about where we would be as a world working together as one!!!

WE WOULD BE TRAVELING SPACE BY NOW!! b/c then earthly matters wouldnt mean anything!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Hugging is known throughout the universe as a primitive and violent gesture of posession....

Oh 'YOU' are a total TOOL!

You make me laugh so much with your replies on all of the ATS website and now you make threads like this!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyStupidity

Hugging is known throughout the universe as a primitive and violent gesture of posession....

You make me laugh so much with your replies on all of the ATS website and now you make threads like this!

I think your supposed to read the whole opening statement! consider stupidity denied!

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I can see your putative aliens being averse to hugging . . . if they have Asperger's Syndrome.

I come from a family with hereditary Asperger's, and affection was the enduring, (by all sides,) of a cold peck on the cheek from the parents at bedtime.

So, what's this "hugging" thing all about?
I never have been sure what I'm meant to do if someone puts their arms around me. Well, I've learned one shouldn't usually scream, run or hit them, but apart from that . . .
If these aliens want to merely touch tentacle tips from a great distance, I'm cool with that.

If they asked me to give up music, no way.
I wouldn't even want tentacle touching aliens around in that case.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The aliens you speak of are demons. And you are correct, they can't make themselves known and take over Earth unless mankind quits loving their fellow man.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

My thoughts: Baking gingerbread cookies is why the aliens wont come here. It could be seen as a primitive religious practice of making an image of one's enemies and then eating (and in most cases, feeding to our children) the "body" in a makeshift act of canibalism. Very hostile when you think about it, lol.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyStupidity

A clear example of the importance to read the post your replying to.

The tool would be one whom stops after the first sentence and believes he knows what is said.

someone give him a hug

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadameAquarienne

My thoughts: Baking gingerbread cookies is why the aliens wont come here. It could be seen as a primitive religious practice of making an image of one's enemies and then eating (and in most cases, feeding to our children) the "body" in a makeshift act of canibalism. Very hostile when you think about it, lol.

I would find it pretty simple to stop eating likenesses of humans in my food. That argument is actually pretty sound. certainly would be easier than giving up hugging.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I've got news for you: The aliens already have come. They have been manipulating people and belief systems for ages. Take a look at the History Channel series, Ancient Aliens. Or read some of Jacques Vallee's books on the subject. The aliens just do their work covertly.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join