It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cowardice a Feminine Trait?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hello ATS

This question will undoubtedly cause a barrage of statements, but let me ask you this:

Is cowardice a feminine trait?

On the surface, in these politically correct times, we convince ourselves not to ask certain questions. But let's face it: deep down, that's exactly what many people - of both genders - think. You decide what the term means to you. Interestingly enough, in many different languages the word 'cowardice' was strongly associated with females. There are also many myths revolving around that notion. Yes, these are just myths, but they do reflect a social attitude ( see Achilles and his disguise as a girl to avoid enemy forces ).

Also, how many times do we label females 'cowards'? Let's be honest here - that doesn't really happen. It doesn't really happen because - oftentimes - cowardice is on par with ''girlish'' behavior.

I'm sure some of you will attack me and label this a troll thread, but whatever you do, the pesky question is going to remain right there in front of you. By denying it you'll only be denying the obvious.

This is NOT a misogynistic/feminist/etc. thread. It's based on human history and inferences based on that history.

Discuss.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
^^^^^^^^

[sits back in chair, grabs beers, sack of popcorn and settles in]

And you thought the whole North/South Korea thing was explosive . . . this ought to be interesting.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Speaking in general:

Cowardice is a human trait and probably a very good one in most situations. It's just not natural for humans to get involved in certain situations and their first instinct is to flee.

Historically men stayed to fight and had women and children leave - in this way the male's genetics were protected. Which is, again, a natural instinct.

You attack a woman's child I guarantee she won't display cowardice to you. However, the majority of women will flee *with* their child.

The question is so much more complicated than is given credit for, and one that very few people will be prepared to answer in the detail required.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboveandbeyond
Is cowardice a feminine trait?

No. It's not a distinctly feminine trait. Both genders have it though.

In men it is called cowardice.

In women it's called discretion.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm going to reply on this from personal experience. I am a woman.
In my past, with the exception of a small percentage of circumstances, it has always been myself who stood up. Only once in my life have I run, and that's when a gun was pointed at me. There's no defense against that. I wear dresses all the time, I am not a masculine female. Women stand up for themselves when they need to, and don't when cultural basis comes into play. Men play the protector (poorly in some cases, IMO). We're not any more cowards than men...that's just more bs heaped upon our plates of our inferiority to make us feel small and pathetic.

I have stood up for boyfriends while they silently take it in the backside. So no, I don't think courage is missing from women. Courage is missing from people. Culture turns some into sissies.

Everyone makes fun of abused women...but you've got to wonder what kind of courage it takes to stay...knowing another blow will come. That's courage, even if it's stupid.

I say this with the understanding that I did not grow up as a male, where defending your masculinity is a frequent occurrence. That can break as easily as build a person.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
How about you give us the links/info on this so called word 'coward' being associated with females in other languages first?

*Cough choke*

In my language the word coward is masculine (codardo) not feminine, just saying...
So now that we’ve ruled out Italian and English??? How about all those other languages?

?

By the way before I go - the whole idea reeks of dog-wash.
It’s completely troll to the first diamond.

peace

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It depends, is it more cowardly to run away from a bar fight, or to run out on the responsibility of bringing up a child and caring for your family.
Are we talking physical or emotional cowardice?

Punching someone in the face is often more stupid then brave
edit on 26-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
In a single and simple response. . .I'd have to say no. I'd also further say that many of the concepts regarding a connection between cowardice and feinine traits could be directly related to a projection of general media. The idea that women, or even extremely feminine males, are or display various forms of cowardice or weakness has been portrayed countless numbers of times by various forms of media for years.

Today, some of the internet's best videos of car crashes usually start with the word "female" or "woman". It's a stereotype from which it's difficult to escape.

top topics

join