It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of us are crazy?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
reply to post by nerbot

Cool Signature,,,reminds me of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. I tried the link but it froze. I'll bet
it plays the notes from that Exceptional Scene. But maybe it leads to visual fractal land of Craziness.

By the way, the O.P. is a Psych major...and he declared himself insane!

Now that is Hilarious !!!!!! I just love the folks on this Website! Truly Different.

Have a wonderful and crazy Thanksgiving !!!

So many crazy people are hilarious! It's hilarious!

And your level of psych major-ness only proves how dedicated you are to the cause...the cause of craziness! that's what I'm talkin bout!...yup...

Crazyiness is one of those things that will always be subjective. I guess that's why so many of us go into 'psychology'. Sounds smart, not too crazy. But you can bet your bottom dollar anyone who goes into that field goes in eyes wide open, with a reason. Trying to figure out why 'people' are crazy.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
How many of us are crazy?.... That would depend on how mentally insync and big the group is that you ask.... Crazy and normal falls under group or heard protocols, and the bigger and more members the group, the more insync and more protocols and program's they must follow for efficiency and just plain getting along purpose. Kind of like work mentality, and work attire required, for business practices, a business suite and tie.... In a lot of cases the clothes literally make the man, and alike is comfortable with alike, and there numbers dictate what is "normal", and whatever group has the most numbers, is the most normal. Normal is dictated, by were the most minds dictate that they are normal for they are the most efficient and sane, and offcourse numerous. We have had many civilizations and group's throughout history that at one time were normal, anything from human sacrifice civilizations, to the protocols and antics of rome and it's order, to today time's and our normal lives were thanks to technology, we get to see other normal people and what they think is normal....Oh it could get more funnier what if we had a technology that could read people's thoughts, and what they really think and want to do.
I'm afraid when that happens, that all the sane and normal people out there wont be as normal as you think, especially your leaders that everybody seem's to kind of wonder why they trust them, I wonder what the people will think when they can really see what they think, or what all the other normal people out there in the world really think.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
insanity is in the eye of the beholder it doesnt exist it's one person's perception on another! so in essence whats crazy,inanse?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost374

I don't think crazy is the appropriate term to use,confused maybe this stems from being lied to and manipulated by our government and the science community.We are lied to by the ptb,Nasa,congress,and its a wonder we even know our own name.Out of all the conspiracies on this site I believe there are quite a few that have a lot of truth to them.I won't do details but the truth will come out eventually.And that I do know!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I think its getting far worse today.

I would seriously doubt many have not some problem. If the definition of crazy is not living in a real world, then most of us probably. Most people have no clue of what goes on, and what the ptb do.

The anglo american empire, is so arrogant they openly keep secrets out in open.

edit on 11/25/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
easy question..... all of you

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Originally posted by kalisdad

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Half the people don't know and will tell you they don't know. The other half think they know everything and will tell you they know everything. Meanwhile nobody knows much of anything, relative to all there is to know.

I am ignorant...

doesn't this statement contradict itself?

What do you think?
I mean if you could....

I think I'm at least slightly less ignorant than the people that deny they are ignorant at all

and then the egotistical side of me laughs and I know I'm alot less ignorant than most the people I see around me

but still quite ignorant...

Well there you go...all signs of intelligence!
Of course there are crazy smart people.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Good question OP, I know I am a little bit crazy and so are my friends, if they weren't they wouldn't be my friends, by being a little crazy I mean that I think outside the box, I don't consider most people I know my friends, I am at a place in my life where I can no longer relate to them.

When I think about it maybe crazy isn't the right word, it just might be that some of us are waking up and not going along with the old paradigm any longer. The great thing about ATS is you find like minded people who you learn from and hopefully they learn from you.

S&F

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think everyone is inherently crazy and that there is no such thing as normality, only conformity.
I mean come on, we're floating around on a rock in vast darkness surrounded by all sorts of mysterious and hidden/altered information -where's the sanity in that?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost374
I for one think that I am just a little bit crazy, or at least different. I'm a psychology major and think I have a slightly schizotypal personality, in that I believe in some different beliefs than most(to put it simply).

This just reinforces my perception that most people are drawn to psychology as a profession because they are trying to figure out what is 'wrong' with themselves. In that vein, most people drawn to the profession/study of 'the mind', (raises hand) have no business trying to sort out other people. Be careful you do not do more harm than good if you are looking at a counseling others.

Originally posted by Ghost374 My guess is that most, maybe 70% have schizotypal personalities, 10% have no technical disorders, and the other 20% have some severe disorder. IMO, being different and not thinking like everyone else isn't a bad thing, so saying 70% are schizotypal isn't a bad thing. Schizotypal is nothing like schizophrenia, and it probably isn't even a real disorder and there really isn't a treatment for it. What are your views on this?

My view is that you feel that you now have the hammer and so empowered, you are seeing nails everywhere.

It all comes down to definitions. They are trying to define behavior, and often that is rather obscure. Also, it is extraordinarily difficult for human beings to objectively observe, let alone categorize the behavior of other human beings. Not impossible, but difficult. Because of this many of these definitions are inherently flawed. So if the understanding and resulting definition and subsequent categorization of certain behaviors is not sane then you have the inmates running the asylum (proverbially speaking), and since many that are drawn to such studies are 'a little off' themselves all the more so. By the current accepted definitions your numbers are probably pretty close. Which is scary actually.

Originally posted by Ghost374 This leads to another age-old question, can people becoming crazy really tell that they're going insane?

I believe so. There are times when one can be completely aware that reality is slipping a few cogs.

Originally posted by Ghost374 Also, out of all the theories on this website, doesn't one or more have to be true?

Probably, to some degree... Or rather, for the given value of 'true'. I feel that there are probably more than a few that have a grain of truth, and there may be one or two that are mostly in line with reality as we know it. Where it spins of into 'insanity' is when people give in to rampant, juicy, blood-pumping, fear driven
supposition... "If that's true, than what if...?" Fun, but not productive.

edit on 25-11-2010 by redhorse because: stupid quotes

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Who sent you? Who do you work for? Why would you post a question like this!?

Seriously, I was just having this conversation the other day with Thomas Jeffer. . . errr. . .I mean my neighbor.
He seems to think that almost everyone seems to possess some form or other of dementia. I told him he was nuts, and most of the voices in my head agreed with me. . .which is worrisome.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieWoof

Rockin' Avatar!
Star just for that! Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Crazydaisy here - count me in - to a point. I have mild OCD, ecentric, anxiety disorder, reserved - so I've been told and it took me years to recognize it in myself. On the other hand I am peaceful, not a criminal and I deal better with animals and nature than people. I think everybody is different, not necessarily crazy - a lot of people on ATS are just curious about the unknown and then there are those**********

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
nope, i have a certificate to prove it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think everyone is slightly crazy each in their own respective ways.

Me personally, of course. I'm neurotically anxious in general, and I would jump out of a moving vehicle if I saw a spider.

Anyway, everyone involved in psychology is probably semi-crazy. It takes one to know one.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Mentally strange
ape, barmy, batty, berserk, bonkers*, cracked, crazed, cuckoo, daft, delirious, demented, deranged, dingy*, dippy, erratic, flaky, flipped, flipped out, freaked out, fruity, idiotic, insane, kooky, lunatic, mad, maniacal, mental*, moonstruck, nuts, nutty, nutty as fruitcake, of unsound mind, out of one’s mind, out of one’s tree, out to lunch, potty, psycho, round the bend, schizo, screwball*, screw loose, screwy*, silly, touched*, unbalanced, unglued, unhinged*, unzipped, wacky

I think everyone in the world is. . .

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oze bob
reply to post by ChaosMagician

Thanks Chaos..you are my new friend...would you like some Lithium?

Speaking of Lithium, did anyone else hear about someone saying that we should add lithium to the water..I swear I heard that somewhere from someone with some authority. I wish I could remember who said it and where.
I agree with all the comments here. Especially, about our drugging of children. I'm planning on going into pharmacy(psychopharmacology will be my specialty), drugs are very interesting for me. That said, our current drug policies, both legal and illegal, are absurd. ADHD medications take the cake. Another thing, it's normal(as normal as anyone can be) to be a little sad at times, especially with all the crap that's going on in the world. But doctors give antidepressants to just about anyone these days. 10% of americans take them, probably 15 or 20% by now. I doubt anyone has been denied antidepressants. At the same time, who are we to say what adults put into their bodies and why?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Great thread!

I'v been thinking about this alot too lately. Have i during the past few years (while reading immense ammounts of information and spiritual practices) been a little 'off'? And my conclusion is that yes, i must have, somewhere along the way, walked the border to a mild insanity. I have returned from this, with many lessons about myself.

For example, i dont really care much how others (poeple i dont know yet mostly) percieve me and what they think of me (contra a few years ago). So i can dont mind making a laugh for my freinds on my cost. They're lolling and its all fun and games, but when the dust settels.. theyr like "dude, how can you do that in front of all those poeple?" "Thats some crazy #!"

I just had to, at a point to REALLY nail a pun, throw my hands in the air and shout HALLELUJA!!!!! (Airport)
Is that insane or is that, under the right circumstances funny as #?

Different poeple would give different answers. We all have 'our' definition of insanity and the label it brings.

edit on 25-11-2010 by Quest4unity because: Added a word or two

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I was a psych minor for a while at UNC, but I got out of it. Not because I kept finding new disorders for which I met the qualifications, but because of the workload. At least, that's what I tell myself.

If my own diagnosis has any merit, I'm slightly schizotypal myself. I've been professionally diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression, which I'm pretty sure is half of an undiagnosed case of bipolar disorder, for which I have a strong genetic predisposition.

Realizing that I may qualify as schizotypal has been a very enlightening experience for me. My reaction has been to concentrate a lot harder on critical thinking when it comes to my beliefs. I've begun to wonder if schizotypal personality disorder, up to the point when it bleeds into actual schizophrenia or other delusional psychoses, isn't just a sort of innocence of philosophy; the majority of uneducated Americans are religious, and we don't consider them mentally ill because they believe in intangible forces.

I certainly am an empiricist when it comes to my beliefs about the material Universe; I can't genuinely believe in a thing unless I can see it measured (or I can find evidence that the phenomenon defies measurement through current technologies). It is my subconscious tendency, however, to wonder what lies outside the boundaries of Human perception; for some reason I cannot shake the belief that there are whole worlds of experience available in the totality of all existence which we cannot even begin to perceive with the crude, meat-based sensory apparatus we have available. Essentially, if a phenomenon does not reflect photons, cause vibrations in the air, react chemically with our olfactory bulbs or taste buds in a very particular way, or come into physical contact with us, we would not only be unaware of its existence, but we would have no means to suspect that it was there at all in order to develop a technology which was capable of registering its presence.

Does my belief in subtler forces or phenomena than can be perceived by Human senses or instrumentation make me crazy? Perhaps a little. But I am confident that I have the good sense to tell an idea with a solid basis in reason from one which offers less in the way of certainty. The knowledge that I may have a physiological predisposition toward believing in the fantastic has only made this awareness keener, and has increased my skepticism not only about new ideas I encounter, but about old beliefs which I may have held for much of my life. As long as one is aware that one has these mental quirks, and they are not so powerful as to cause one to become convinced of an obviously delusional belief, I believe that a schizotypal person can be just as rational a thinker, and perhaps, if one's condition can be positively channeled, a more creative one, than a person with no personality disorder at all... if such a person exists, which my experience as a psych student has led me to doubt just as strongly as it made me doubt my own sanity.

In response to your question about whether a person who is losing their mind could be aware of that fact, I'd say that the strongest sign that one is still sane is the tendency to doubt one's own sanity. The truly mad are convinced that they are correct in their beliefs, no matter how flagrantly bizarre, and no amount of evidence will dissuade them; only a rational mind is capable of pausing to reflect on its own rationality. Or, at least, I darn sure hope that's the case.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
arent the numbers more simple? something like 4 out of 10 are nuckinfutz?...........lol
maybe even 6 out of 10...? with the 4 in 10 clinically needing hospitalization lol ??
I shouldn't laugh, but it so beyond ridiculous its laughable.......so LOL!

edit on 26-11-2010 by theRiverGoddess because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join