It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 Miners Still Trapped In Pike River Mine - Things Aren't Looking Good.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just thought I'd update you on the Pike River Mine explosion that trapped 29 miners late last week.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63ab5e482828.jpg[/atsimg]

Toxic gas levels are still too high in the mine to send any rescue teams into the mine after an explosion around 1200 degrees celcius ripped through the mine last week. The 29 miners are still trapped in the mine with no water, no food, no light. And Officials are preparing for the worst case scenarios, but are hoping for a miracle.

Earlier today an NZ army robot was sent down into the mine to see if it could see/hear any signs of life in the mine. At 8am this morning the robot broke down and was no longer usable because it was not waterproofed. Who sends a robot that's not waterproofed into a mine? Ridiculous. Just another set back.
Officials are now negotiating with the Australian Airforce for a newer more advanced robot to be brought from Australia.

The 29 miners have been named, including a 17 year old who was new to the mine after being offered a job just a few days earlier from his step dad.

I'll keep you updated when I get some more information.
Lets hope for a miracle for these 29 men.

Cheers
Brady
Brady

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This doesn't sound hopefull at all. My heart goes out these people and their families.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There just has to be a better way.
This happens far too often.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A second robot has arrived at Pike River... let's hope this one is waterproof

news.msn.co.nz...

We know, by association, 2 of the miners trapped below. I know there is an air of hope here in New Zealand, but I'm afraid I don't think there's much chance of finding them alive.

edit on 22-11-2010 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yeah it's not looking to good, with scientists estimating the blast at about 1200 degrees celcius I'd be surprised if they got through that. It's pretty hard that they can't send rescue teams in until the air is safe enough for them to enter. You can see the frustration on the chairmans face every time I see him on TV.

Cheers
Brady

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Why isn't underground mining entirely robotic? What is the imperative to send a squad of humans down there? Is our technology not advanced enough, that the human presence is necessitated? I'm pretty damned sure that robotics could handle every mining task and WITHOUT these dreadful losses of human life in the mines.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I have been thinking about them all day, I will hope for a miracle, but it seems the more I learn about it , the less hope I have

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I, too, am praying for them and their families.

A lot of miners and families are fed up with the "we can't go in there" approach and say if they didn't have other people telling them what they can and can't do, they would have gone in immediately, regardless.

There is a rising feeling that the policeman in charge of rescue ops is sitting on the fence and hiding behind "experts say".

These people on the west coast of NZ are gritty and determined, and I am sure a lot of them would have gone in immediately.

I fear that it is too late now.

RIP.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesAustinMiller
Why isn't underground mining entirely robotic? What is the imperative to send a squad of humans down there?

Robots don't need jobs, humans do. Also robots are quite expensive initially (even though return of investment is better in the long run)

It's all about money.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
THERE HAS JUST BEEN A SECOND EXPLOSION.....NO SURVIVORS

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I have a friend going out there today to aid. He's with the Red Cross. Let's hope that everyone involved comes out unscathed. Although, from the post above mine, that seems unlikely.

Still doesn't hurt to have your fingers crossed though!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

Yeah just heard about this. A second explosion has ripped through the mine at 2:47pm , just as big as the first one. It was extremely severe.

Link to source home.nzcity.co.nz...,narts

When I heard the news I got a really big lump in my throat. 29 Kiwi's dead. I don't know why they mucked around for so long. I understand gas levels were dangerous but I'm sure there was a better solution.
Sad day here in New Zealand, my condolences to the families. Must be so hard.

To all 29 of the miners RIP.

Cheers
Brady
edit on 23-11-2010 by GetRadNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
FYI the 2nd explosion today was much, much larger than the original blast. The authorities have stated there is zero chance of anyone surviving. A sad day for new zealand

As to why they didn't go in sooner, this second explosion proves everything they have said from day one, in delaying the rescue. Gas levels were too explosive / dangerous to enter the mine, this is the outcome of such high gas levels.

edit on 23/11/2010 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The Pike River 29

These boys who will be forever known as the Pike River twenty nine
Friends and Family trying to cope with tragedy deep within the Mine
A loss that has brought the nation collectively to its knees
Weeping tears of sorrow along with all their families

It is no consolation in this consuming time of grief
and the ability to cope will test everyone beyond belief
Your boys down there I'm sure will want you to be strong
They would have done their best to get back where they belong

What they certainly wouldn't want is for you to be so sad
Celebrate their character and the time with them you had
Try and bring all the good times completely to the fore
Then as time passes gently show your grief the door

Lean on friends and family and remember in devastation
You have 4 million more supporters.. all around the nation
whether you're religious or even if that's not the case
it's not hard to imagine there must be a higher place

Maybe these boys were needed to mine together as a team
Carving miracles fom rainbows or some other divine seam
There is no other reason these boys were taken in their prime
than Twenty nine top Blokes were needed for eternal overtime..

(unknown author/TradeMe NZ)

R.I.P. boys
edit on 25-11-2010 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
my prayers to them and families.

hope springs eternal!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My sympathies to NZ and the families of the miners on this tragic loss. It's sad to hear of any of them going this way but hearing about the unfortunate timing for that teenager who just started really got to me. I can't imagine what his folks are feeling.

new topics

top topics

join