It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: NATO to erect missile shield for Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Obama: NATO to erect missile shield for Europe

news.yahoo.com

LISBON, Portugal – President Barack Obama won NATO summit agreement Friday to build a missile shield over Europe, an ambitious commitment to protect against Iranian attack while demonstrating the alliance's continuing relevance — but at the risk of further aggravating Russia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Another notch in the belt.

Russia should un-freeze the s-300's destined to Iran, in response to the 'go ahead' of the European missile shield defense.

Anyway, I'm sure most of the funding for this project will come from US Tax payers pockets. As if we don't already pour enough money into our defense budget, now we need to go turn Europe into a turtle shell.. At least we're all shelled up, ready to defend Europe from nuclear strikes. Lets hope that defense can withstand the MASSIVE RED ARMY!!

news.yahoo.com
edit on 19-11-2010 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BiGGz

Russia's population 141,950,000

The EU's population 830,364,178

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There are much larger REAL potential threats from the EAST to the US/West and Iran Aint it.

Stay tuned people.

By the way NATO and Russia will most likely be sharing Missile defense in the future.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by BiGGz

Russia's population 141,950,000

The EU's population 830,364,178

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There are much larger REAL potential threats from the EAST to the US/West and Iran Aint it.

Stay tuned people.

It is strange, all this concern over Iran...
Fact is, if Iran fired one missile at another country it would be turned to rubble in hours..
Unless ofcourse they were attacked first..

By the way NATO and Russia will most likely be sharing Missile defense in the future.
edit on 19-11-2010 by backinblack because: fix quotes

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It stinks!

More money for more weapons for more security..

I don't think so.

Can't we all just get along!?

"The challenge posed by radical extremists who utilize terror to promote their agenda is one that threatens the people of Portugal, the people of Europe, the people of the United States and, indeed, nations around the world," Clinton said. ''

Utilizing terror? Nice one Hillary.

Peace (please)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yeah sure. If NATO gives them a good deal... which they might not, considering the real NATO aim.

And even if they do and Russia agrees to it... then what's stopping China from saying the missile shield is against them?

You either do it with Russia and China or you don't do it.

Iran being a missile threat... give me a freaking break. All experts agree that Iran is a joke and is no threat, like Iraq was.

The missile shield is against Russia and Russia knows this, that's why they are asking to be part of it so it calls NATO's bluff.

I'm not a religious man at all, but I think I'm gonna pray so Russia joins the missile shield so we don't end up with WW3.

If the missile shield goes ahead without Russia and is put on Russia's border, Russia should put nukes in Cuba. After all, THIS TIME it's not Russia trying to destroy MAD, it's NATO.

MAD saved us from nuclear for 65 years, so we can assume it's a sound concept. Anyone trying to destroy the MAD concept is destabilizing things and when MAD goes, the risk of war increases by a lot. History shows this. Every time an empire is stronger than a country with resources, the empire invades.

Russia have resources, NATO needs resources. The only thing blocking NATO/China from invading Russia is MAD.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You know Vitchilo

Russia doesn't seem to have that big of a problem with the missile shield unlike many here at ATS.
I swear... It's almost as if ATS has it's own WWIII cheering section and if cooperation happens it's a "Conspiracy"

Russia warming to NATO missile defence plan - U.S.

Moscow has expressed concerns about how the system would affect its own missile deterrent, and whether it would have the capability to counter Russia's own missiles.

However, last week Russia pledged to boost cooperation with NATO in Afghanistan and consider a joint missile defence shield, after a meeting between President Medvedev and NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.

Russia Says it Wants "Equal" Involvement in Missile Shield

Russia is willing to discuss NATO plans for a European missile defense system, though it wishes to have equal involvement in the creation of the shield, Agence France-Presse reported Saturday (see GSN, Oct. 21).

US stresses will to cooperate with Russia on missile shield

BERLIN — The United States wants to cooperate with Russia on setting up an European missile defence shield, a senior US official said Wednesday ahead of next month's NATO summit in Lisbon. "It's absolutely clear we want to do this cooperatively with Russia," assistant US Secretary of State for European and Eurasian affairs Philip Gordon told reporters Wednesday during a visit to Berlin.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think that they want to get all the shields up and running just in case Iran has Nukes already, before they strike Iran to get rid of their Nuke Program. Or like Slayer said, there are bigger threats then Iran.

But with all the warships in the gulf off of Iran and all the talk for all these months, I believe they are going after Iran. And they might know something we don't, about their nuclear capabilities, Just my opinion.....

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Anyone ever hear of the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty?

It was signed by the USSR and the US many years ago. It limited ABM systems to only one system each for the two nuclear superpowers. Why? BECAUSE ABM SYSTEMS PROVOKE NUCLEAR WAR.

The MAD doctrine is not a joke. It was also a global policy; if there's going to be a nuclear exchange, it will be a massive blow to all sides that will hopefully destroy their abilities to ever engage in war again. If the US starts placing ABM systems around the world, then they increase their ability to wage nuclear war against an enemy WITHOUT being hit back. THIS IS WRONG.

The US ducked out of the ABM treaty. They wish to provoke nuclear war by placing nuclear weapons and ABM systems around the globe to project their power. This has nothing to do with Iran, this is all about building a superior nuclear offensive and defensive strategy against Russia and China. This is a serious threat to world stability and is a step back from world peace, all for American exceptionalism.

Everyone blames Russia, China, North Korea or Iran for having nuclear ambitions, but this is exactly why they won't heed to disarmament (or in Iran's case, the end of their civilian nuclear power program). The US is the one provoking all of this, yet they claim it is in defense against these countries? BULLSH*T.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes, NATO and Russia will share a missle defense system in the future. That's my opinion. Just that. It was proposed during Bush II's reign. It was poo-pooed off the table. It was a little too early for it.

The time is ripe for this proposal, though.

It really is, IMO, kinda fun to see how things progress towards a real "U. N." The NWO, etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Dude, that's why I say Russia MUST TAKE PART in the missile shield. I want peace too. Russia wants in so the missile shield isn't aimed at them.

All those articles you posted say that Russia is not that threatened by the missile shield IF, the important word here is IF, they are in the project.

You know, I can post hundreds of article of what Russia thinks of the missile shield IF they are NOT in...
Russia threatened a nuclear strike against Poland after a landmark deal to site American global anti-missile shields in the country.

And what happens when Putin comes back in power in 2012 and Obama is kicked out and pro-war republicans come in?

That's why I pray that Russia and NATO relations become better and that Russia joins the missile shield.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Disclaimer the following is just my opinion based on the patterns of Russian history .

To be honest I don't see how any kind of missile defence is going to make a difference Iran's nukes are likely to be used against Israel or its own population when the regime is on the brink . The Russian planners are all intense purposes laughing during there planning sessions for a future war in Europe . Britain defence spending cut backs are the icing cake , Its only a matter of time and just how far the Russian military machine ventures into Eastern / Central Europe .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Hasen't the pen proved mightier than the sword... look how the global economic system was greatly altered by the USAs Wall Street wizards, without a shot being fired.
there are still whole countries still sliding in Soverign bankruptcy -- and more to follow.

building a missile network is so Cold-War-Era strategy, and expensive.... which is what the USAs
FED/Treasury model for Recovery via increased inflation is working towards...

I guess the USA will embark on rebuilding its public Roads/Rails/Runway infrastructures.
whereas NATO will be constructing missile compounds, taking forests or farmland out of the productive domain and making expensively maintained missile sites all over the place
( ? the modern replacement for Churches or Mosques as focal points for community safety ?)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
what i find quite funny how USA & Russia are negotiating EUROPEAN missile shield and there seems to be no input of those European countries where the missile shield would be installed, like these European NATO countries are gutless American puppets and NATO is just an tool for Americans to use just like the want.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Didnt obama a week ago, talk about globalization???
and he wants the missle sheild put up?
proof globalization is a scam

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BiGGz

Seems that nobody noticed that Russia is also Europe!!
You won't find the highest mountain of Europe in Switzerland (Suisse).. but in Russia!
Europe is a continent and not a country!
The country Russia is in Europe.
Even the EU is not Europe,.. but a european federation of some european countries.

So what's the meaning of a rocket shield for Europe?
And what's the sense, if the shields would be based in Turkey (not even Europe!) ?!
check this link here

edit on 20-11-2010 by noahproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BiGGz

I read thie earlier and i'm wondering if this is some kind of warning as to what is to come???

Someone is going to fire a missle very soon somewhere i think but as to where and who we can only speculate.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The US and Russia and kow-towing European leaders playing chess with missiles on the chessboard that is Europe! Just like the good old days. What fun. Don't mind us people, us lot over here, don't forget us, will you?

Nato has been encircling Russia ever since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The stepping on Russia's neck when it was teetering towards economic collapse, the mockery made of Russia because of the drunk supposedly in charge, led to the rise of Putin and Medvedev. And now this missile shield. War games in Europe again. Great. Marvellous.

The Cold War never ended. There was just a slight thaw for awhile. NATO just could not be happy seeing the Soviet Union collapse could it? No, it wanted Russia by the throat, on the ground and stomped on. Well, now you have Putin and Medvedev in charge, ex-KGB men and make no mistake. You're not dealing with an idiotic drunk in the Kremlin now. You're dealing with men who are quite no-nonsense when it comes to having trouble and threats on their borders and in their neighbourhood. Just ask that warmongering little dwarf Saakashvilli.
edit on 20-11-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thing that gets me is that usa has em weapons that could take out any missile surely now. Missiles are mechanical, and surely there are em weapons that could make them fail.

That just shows how much we are bing lied too.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Didnt obama a week ago, talk about globalization???
and he wants the missle sheild put up?
proof globalization is a scam

Yep totally contradictory to what they said last week.

Shows like i said how we are being lied to big time, none of this is logical. Europe and usa are not afraid of irans missiles. Thats the lie there, something else if going on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join