It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
TEMPO Project. This is the name of the "shuttle" that in next years could travel in past and future. A joke? No. Really not, if a Team of Researchers the MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) is ready to collaborate with the scientist to build The first Time Machine! The scientist is not new to this theory, but this time he want build a time machine to move objects from Boston to Arizona desert......... Concretely!

The eminent British scientist Stephen Hawking, the most brilliant physicists in the world after Albert Einstein said it will be possible to travel in time, based on the theories of relativity, which ensures that as objects are accelerated in the space of time, the pace slows down for them, and a sudden stop time shrinks to negative values.
The author of the theory of space-time continuum rupture in said black holes in the documentary "Stephen Hawking's Universe," which still do not have technology to build a spacecraft capable of moving at a speed of one billion km / h (speed required for time travel) but it is possible to create a tunnel-shaped chamber of several hundred meters which will host a shuttle with ideal conditions to reduce the friction resistance during the movement (different from that in real space) to launch an object travez time.
A group of researchers from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, American University where he made 80 percent of NASA projects have begun to work with Hawking to carry out the shuttle.

www.aldia.cu...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

TEMPO project intent is to send to the past and near future some objects present, who would go to the desert of Arizona. Items sent to past, from Boston (capital city of Massachusetts), will appear immediately in the desert several thousand kilometers from the exit point, and being sent to the future must appear on the destination seven days later time

We live in the most amazing time!

To mod: feel free to remove if this thead already exist.
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I don't understand why people are so into timemachines, there is no timeline, only a cicle, possitions of our planet in time and space.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

I think the question of time travel is exciting to most people.

I have often wondered why there arent loads of time machines appearing on the scene at woodstock or other historical 'events', as, If they become available, like all technology wouldn't their availability eventually become more mainstream? If you take in to consideration the fact that the future is almost infinite then why havent humans from the far distant future come to at least give our governments better technologies to save the world from global warming/meltdown than a blue beam you can flash in the sky?

Or are they? Are we alone in the universe? Are UFO's humans from the future, do time machines 'land' in the sky and watch jimi hendrix play the star spangled banner? Possibly maybe.

Also: I hardly leave my house but all my favourite hoodies dissapear without fail! Everone I ever bought just vanished and im talking about 20 good expensive hoodies that all ended up gone! Am I traveling back from my future to steal my favourite hoodies? I think yes.
If they are expecting this machine to appear 7 days later, would they be able to put some sort of a camera devise on the machine and send that info/pictures back to the present. spying on the future seems like a big possibility with this tech. stars n flags to OP.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: grammar

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

time machines will only be able to go back as far as when the first one is activated. Thats why they haven't shown up yet

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

Is that so? Interesting! Good theory; it explains why they might not be appearing, but id doesnt explain my HOODIES!

Any links, to info on this theory?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
That's really interesting, shame the topic isn't getting more replys...
Anyway my take is that it won't work. And I think to be able to see into the futur you have to be able to send data back in time... I think humans will never be able to time travel (except if we find a way to not need our bodys
)... But I hope that one day we will be able to see the futur, but for that to happen you need someone in the futur to be able to send you the data back. And that is when you start changing futur, if you do that it's irrelevant and useless as you will not be seeing your real futur :-) this is getting to complicated lol... So all that to say timetravel is useless, only point is being able to say that you know you can do it...Anyways this is cool can't wait to see the results.
edit on 19-11-2010 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Just hope the lil dude knows what he's doing. Meddling with time is baaaaaaaaaaad, hasn't he watched Back to The Future?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

The Daily Mail article is actually an explanation of why it is impossible to travel backwards in time. Anyone can travel forwards in time: we all do it, at a rate of one second per second. If we could travel fast enough in space (close enough to the speed of light) or spend time inside a huge gravity field that slows time down, we could improve that rate. This has been known since Einstein. So there's nothing new in that article.

I don't read Spanish, but BabelFish gave me a readable translation of the Tiempo page. It sounds extremely dodgy to me. A Google search found no reference in English to any physical time-travel project involving Hawking. I think it's a made-up story.

Also, please remember that Prof. Hawking is a theoretical physicist. He doesn't do or design experiments.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Arken

The Daily Mail article is actually an explanation of why it is impossible to travel backwards in time.

They will also tell you that uk gov has no mind control, or cannot take all your memories.

How often have they been right.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If this news is real, and I think so, I take this very seriously.
The MIT Teams project under the "Overlord" Stephen Hawking spend millions dollars and energy in this project.
The time travel theory is already proved.
The TEMPO Project is the concretization of the theory....

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I personally think the ptb have already done this sort of thing.

What have they released to public since nukes in 40's. We have no idea what they can do, but i bet time travel was something they wanted. Just like most here know if they travel outside our 3d reality they go through time, and even top scientists would accept that.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
A time machine great! Thing's i would go back in time to do.........

Tell Jesus that Paul was gonna take over and corupt the religion.
Tell JFK to duck.
Sit at Roswell and wait for that F*c*ing crash.
Tell Monica Lewinsky to "Remember wash that fu**ing dress" (only kidding with that one....lol)
Invite all of the Bush family to dinner on 9/11 at the twin towers.
Listen in to Larry Silverstein's phone call with Netanyahu before said event!
Go face to face with Alexander the great and say "Come ahead if you think your hard enough!"
and last but not least get next weeks lottery numbers!!!

Just a few thought's.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Ha Ha, sometimes when im really lucky (and drunk) I pass through time even quicker than that!

Ok so travelling to the past might be out, but I could theoreticaly look at the past and show you pictures of the dinosaurs/ atlantis? anybody want to see who really made the pyramids? Easy.

Well not that easy: first you need a space craft that can travel FASTER then the speed of light. Then you need the most sophisticated telescopic lense ever designed. Then you fly away from earth faster than the speed of light and overtake the light that reflected from earth, remembering to take a course through (as much as is possible) empty space (because gravity can bend light and will distort the picture: so we'd have to find a direction in which the light can travel straight). Then you turn your lense toward the earth and zoom in like mad, to ground zero and take a look at whats gwaning.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
this would be a useful tool to bring hitler to our time and waterboard him.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Treacherous

Several prominent Physicist have chimed in like Dr. Michiu Kaku. What should happen instead of messing with our timeline? A new one is opened up that already exists. They will simply, tap into an existing one like the show "Sliders" last century.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Justoneman because: punctuation

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Great find! I'm looking forward to what comes out of this in the future!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I believe time travel is possible but I don’t believe it will ever be efficient or practical. The reason is, our four dimensional universe that we are capable of perceiving is in constant motion. The Arizona desert will not be in the same position it was in seven days after the machine was activated. Unless the scientist can figure out a way to incorporate movement into the time travel then I don’t think it will happen in the way described by the article of the OP.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Ohhh this old nutshell again??

Time at the fundamental levels of reality is not what we experience here at our level. Time is nothing more than a measurement of change.

The thing is as has been proven by recent and not so recent experiments, that objects within space-time are not set until observed, this in turn means that time as we think of it also does not exist until a change is observed.

What I am getting at is that Time travel to the past is impossible because to do so you would have to have the ability and energy to accurately record and observer the state the entire universe was in at the point you wanted to go and then to change the entire universe's state back to that point..... a bit like reinstalling a backup on your computer....

Movement forwards in time as we perceive it is different because to move forward at a faster pace than we normally experience time can be achieved by slowing the effects of change on oneself and due to SR this would appear as if time is speeding up. The rate of change relative to you is higher than when you are traveling at the same rate of change as the rest of the universe.

There is no way that you can create a negative time index. You can however create a negative space-time index and that is commonly known as a black hole.

Now.... Can we send information faster than light?? Some say no... I say yes. Because this has been proven by use of Quantum Entanglement, does this mean information can be sent backwards in time?? Well in SR it can happen though I’m afraid unless you are on a star ship that can travel a significant percentile of Light speed and have the ability to detect and en/de-code entangled particles you won’t be able to.

So the time differential for sending information into the past using entangled particles is dependent on physical distance between the particles and the speed of separation.... So this means we can't send a signal from London in 2010 to Germany 1938...

Even if we were to use the twisting of space around the event horizon of black hole and use the time dilation effects of that, the time differential is incredibly small, something like one minute per year travelled.

So to summarise, Time Travel as in the Science Fiction vision is not possible. Time Travel to the Past is not possible, and time travel to the future will be next to useless.

We should focus our energies on more product things like how to create a weather modification system that allows us to control our eco system.....

Korg.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Korg Trinity because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
What are the chances it will be finished in 2012, LOL?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
humans can't even handle themselves as it is now, can you imagine what would happen if that corruption or 'evil' found it's hands on the power to travel through time?

this is horrible, anyone who thinks this is a good idea is probably not intending on this technology to get into 'the wrong' hands

i wouldn't want to risk it, and that would be if time travel were actually possible, i'm not saying it IS or ISNT possible, only that both sides of the argument are still theories as of now and if it were up to me i'd keep it that way hahaha

who knows, thanks for posting though, always good to keep tabs on the good old hawking brain

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join