It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

you can only observe the past...youre not allowed to cance it...
so if UFO's are time travellers ... they never can contact us...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

perhaps steven is looking for an way to neutralise his discease he's suffering to.......(just a thought ! )

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Here is a good question:
Wouldn't it be logical to assume if we do, in the future, discover time travel...that somewhere in the past someone from the future would have travelled back in time to enhance civilization more quickly? It it became mainstream at least on person would of come back and given the secret whether for good or evil.

It's a paradox that is unfathomable that's why I believe time-travel does not exist and why I believe Einstein's theory is not exactly 100% true. We base everything we know on that theory, which is still just a theory.

I am sure ill get plenty of flak for this, who am I to question Einstein? Fact is I read a lot, it is plausible that his theory is not exactly correct and what people are assuming based on this theory will soon prove it wrong sending us to other, less popular, theories that do in fact exist.

Time will tell.
edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Addition Comment

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
TT is possible and the laws of physics do prove it.

The laws of physics prove no such thing. The math works forwards and backwards, but math is not reality.

The time dilation effects in satellites are not "time travel". If they are, then everything is time travel. That's a common claim by many (that it's time travel), but it is simply disingenuous.

When the atoms in the atomic clocks inside satellites vibrate at a slower rate because of their speed relative to the Surface of the Earth, that doesn't mean they are "traveling backwards through time", it just means the clocks run slower.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
If you went back a few days, you would arrive at a location in space because the earth would be in a different place in it's orbit around the sun. The only way around this would be to travel in yearly increments to have a chance of hitting any kind of arrival point on the planet's surface and a few seconds out would either put you underground in solid rock or up in the atmosphere.

It's worse than that. Our entire solar system is rotating around the Galaxy, so from year to year we are in a totally new place in "space". Even worse, the entire Galaxy is moving through space and is never in the same place twice.

Time travel is a fantasy constructed out of an illusion.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I agree. To add, how many times do you think a theory that was proven in small-scale, had been dis-proven in reality?

Not many, but it does happen and could be happening with Einsteins Theory.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Can someone clear this up for me?

If TT will exist in the future then someone has travelled back in time, therefore altering the future. So this present is altered by someone from the future, right? Imagine in 5 years time they create the first TT machine and they send someone back to 1995, now in 2010 we would already have a TT machine, right?

Last thing, If I have a TT machine in London for example, I get in the machine and travel back 1 year, the question is do I need a TT machine 1 year ago so that I can come out of it from the future or do I just appear all of a sudden there 1 year ago?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Whenever someone looks into a telescope they are traveling back in time.

No they are not. They still exist in the "now", they are just looking at light which was created before "now" changed to "now".

You are seeing back into the future, not moving but still going back. This is how we obtained images of the birth of the universe.

I think you meant "back in time", not "the future". You are incorrect either way. There is no time, there is only a now.

I will explain it like this....

Remember, there is only a now, and now is changing.

Imagine a star light-years away right "now". At that moment, photons (1) are just now leaving the star. Now imagine that same star right "now". The star changed, new photons (2) are just now leaving the star. Photons (1) still exist they just changed their position. Now again imagine that same star right "now". The star changed again, new photons (3) are just now leaving the star. Photons (1) still exist, but changed it's position further away from the star. Photons (2) still exist, and is changing position right behind Photons (1). Behind photons (1) and (2) are photons (3). All the 3 photons and the star exist "now".

When we look at the star, we are not looking back in time, we are still looking at "now". We are looking at photon (1) which still looks like the star used to look before it changed to "now". After looking at photon (1), we then see photon (2). Photon (2) looks different then photon (1) because the star changed when photon (2) was created.

Again, you are not looking back in time, you are looking at photons that still exist "now", they just happen to appear the way the star looked "then" which is "now" but changed.

"Now" and "then" are the same reference point, however, "then" has visually and physically changed to "now" and it created the illusion of time. "Then" has changed form in order to create "now". "Now" IS "then". You can NOT travel "back in time" (back then) because "then" has physically changed to "now". You are already in the "now".

"Now" would not exist if "then" was a separate place and time because "now" is "then" but changed. There is nothing to travel too.
edit on 19-11-2010 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Agreed.

Also, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Time-Travel, if it were possible, would have a reaction if we continue to follow the theory logically. Any scientist that wants to discover this is irresponsible, even though it's in my belief impossible.

edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Grammar

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This may be more about disclosure than it is about inventing something new.
People like Hawking see reality as a kind of superposition ed universe.
More like a wave function than a linear projection of events.
The power that can collapse the wave function into cognizance wins.
This story runs in good context to the Hawking warning about alien intelligence we got earlier.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

i agree you can't bring back the dead. for any time machine to work it will entitle the ability to bring back the dead not just manipulate time.

t

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Arken

The Daily Mail article is actually an explanation of why it is impossible to travel backwards in time. Anyone can travel forwards in time: we all do it, at a rate of one second per second. If we could travel fast enough in space (close enough to the speed of light) or spend time inside a huge gravity field that slows time down, we could improve that rate. This has been known since Einstein. So there's nothing new in that article.

Also, Hawking himself said it's impossible to travel back in time in the very same Universe episode the article mentioned.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
People should leave the timeline alone, the timeline should only be altered when humankind is like 10 minutes from being extinct.

If you went back in time and killed Hitler, what if one of the people murdered by the Nazi's was going to be the person that would go fourth to invent a biological weapon that would kill humankind?

Leave the timeline alone, you could use it though to make space travel shorter though.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

am i right in saying that in a few years IF a time machine is built , would it not be here by now ?........

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv
People should leave the timeline alone, the timeline should only be altered when humankind is like 10 minutes from being extinct.

If you went back in time and killed Hitler, what if one of the people murdered by the Nazi's was going to be the person that would go fourth to invent a biological weapon that would kill humankind?

Leave the timeline alone, you could use it though to make space travel shorter though.

Stephen Hawking describes potential multiple time lines. For example if you went back into time and changed an event such as the one you described a completely new time line would emerge but the original would be left unaltered. The new would posses the same history as the old but the new will have an altered future thats unforeseen.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Secularist because: to add

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here is the REAL reason they are doing and saying this.

They know that this machine will NEVER work.

But they also know the Gov't will give them BILLIONS OF DOLLARS to "work on it".

Basically it's a massive waste of money for no gain.

Meanwhile, more and more people fall into poverty and more kids around the world starve to death needlessly.

Oh what the the hell, let's just spend the rest of our $ on fantasies.

It's a SCAM. Bottom line. $$$$$$$

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Why is everyone making up their own rules for time travel?

'No you can't go back further than when the machine was turned on.'

'You would have to travel in space as well as time because you would end up in another part of the galaxy/universe because Earth is constantly moving through space.'

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but saying something is impossible, without any actual proof of why it is impossible is a little bit silly.

Sure we can make assumptions, but until someone does actually build and use a time machine we will never know what is and what isn't possible.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Suppose time travel is possible but you can't go back earlier than when the first "receiver" is built and activated. Maybe they will turn it on and it will instantly start spewing out trillions of tourists from the next trillion years, since everyone would want to go back and witness the famous event.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by splittheatom
Why is everyone making up their own rules for time travel?

'No you can't go back further than when the machine was turned on.'

'You would have to travel in space as well as time because you would end up in another part of the galaxy/universe because Earth is constantly moving through space.'

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but saying something is impossible, without any actual proof of why it is impossible is a little bit silly.

Sure we can make assumptions, but until someone does actually build and use a time machine we will never know what is and what isn't possible.

Well, in a way I agree with you on that but Stephen Hawking doesnt just make things up. Using the laws of physics he observes. For example you could say we just made up a black hole merely because weve never actually seen one yet we know for a fact that they exist. He also believes that black holes are likely candidates for worm holes that connect distant locations (billions of light years) in space and time, and that not only would these "worm holes" or "white holes" connect two locations (and this is plausible because space-time curves and the fabric in space-time can literally be ripped when extraordinary amounts of mass are condensed into less then an inch therefore put a and b together and you have a tunnel through space-time), but will possibly connect two periods of time since you are now passing through time. If you can avoid the black holes singularity and can pass through it (much like the tunnel through a whirl pool or a tornado) then you will be able to emerge out of the other side into a new piece of the galaxy, and that these "white holes" give birth to the universe by ejecting the universe that was just consumed by the black hole.

Its very complicated to explain it all but this is the way the universe works. Einstein proved space-time curved a long time ago. Yes, exactly what black holes are is obviously a theory but it is an educated guess supported by all these things that add up to hint towards what theyre actually capable of. Either way, its interesting
Its the real sci fi.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

Einstein proved space-time curved a long time ago.

In general relativity, it is assumed that spacetime is curved by the presence of matter (energy),

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

It's not proven as you had pointed out.

It is only hard to explain, if you don't know what it's about. If you don't know it, or won't research it for yourself please don't try and pass it off as fact. No offense intended.
edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Grammar

edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Added Quote

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join