It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by openmind444
reply to post by Korg Trinity

So you really going to come on someone else's thread, crap all over their riff, and then convince them that there is something more important that they SHOULD be talking about? That is lame my friend, lame. Maybe the OP should've posted a thread about something as important as a "wing disappearing" from one of the 9/11 attack planes? That's a much more constructive and productive use of thread space eh?'

edit on 20-11-2010 by openmind444 because: (no reason given)

Actually it's you whom obviously has a difficulty understanding what I type.

I didn't trash someone else’s thread... and I didn't say they should talk about anything else... I said...

Even if we were to use the twisting of space around the event horizon of black hole and use the time dilation effects of that, the time differential is incredibly small, something like one minute per year travelled. So to summarise, Time Travel as in the Science Fiction vision is not possible. Time Travel to the Past is not possible, and time travel to the future will be next to useless. We should focus our energies on more product things like how to create a weather modification system that allows us to control our eco system.....

I suggest you re-read my post, then if you are man enough apologise for your unrelated and off topicness of your comments!

Korg.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zagari
Flying was supposed to be impossible, moon landing was supposed to be absurd, a thing for comic books, cars going faster were supposed to kill humans...
Phone was supposed to be useless, cinema was supposed to be a temporary thing...

Science dogmas are plenty of suppositions...Great minds will blow the minds of so many skeptic people who are only able to explain things citing science books...

We will get time travel...

This is a common misconception. Those things were considered impossible because we didn't have the knowledge to understand how it could be possible...

When concerning Time Travel we have enough knowledge to understand why it is impossible and/or totally useless as in time dilation.

See the difference?

Korg.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I not apologizing to you for anything there sport..that man enough for you? That "off-topic-ness" enough for you?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Then, in your absolutely opinion, Stephen Hawking is Fool?

Hmmmm. The Scientific World Don't agreed with your personal opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Then, in your absolutely opinion, Stephen Hawking is Fool?

Hmmmm. The Scientific World Don't agreed with your personal opinion.

That's not what I said nor did Stephen Hawking say we can invent the time machine that Science Fiction aspires too.

As previously stated Time Dilation causes time to be experienced differently relative to each other SR. But it cannot cause a negative refraction of reality. in other words it cannot cause space-time to revert to a previous configuration.

Quantum mechanics 101

1. Reality requires a conscious observer to manifest.
2. The fundamental level of space-time is a random sea of chaos.
3. What we measure as time is only a measurement of change
4. Change requires a measurement of a conscious observer from one state to another

Simply put, time in the classical sense is all in the mind. The way you are relating to time is not taking into account the nature of reality. This gives the illusion that one moment leads to another moment, when in reality all there is, is this moment. Nothing exists in the past and nothing exists in the future. All that exists is in the single moment.

What you perceive as time is purely the rate at which change occurs and can be measured.

Humans measure time differently and experience time differently. This is because of a physcal mechanism within the brain that counts neurons firing between recalls.

This is why when you sleep you tend not to experience the passage of time, or have a warped sense of time because you are not conscious and so cannot measure change.

So to summarize...

To achieve time travel as in the classical time machine of science fiction, you would have to consciously observer the entire universe down to the Planck scale and then have the ability to revert the entire universe to that point.

Even with the computational power of a quantum computer this is clearly not possible and so it means classical time travel is not possible.

There is one way that we could experience the illusion of time travel. To use the power of Quantum computing to create accurate simulations of a past period. If you like a kind of holodeck, a four dimensional representation of a by gone era.

Some people believe that this is in fact what we are living in right at this moment al a le Matrix... This is called the Simulation Hypothesis and was developed by lee bostrum.

Hope this help you understand where I am coming from.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Sorry, but I still don't understand from where you coming from...

So to summarize:

The Stephen Hawking' statement is not realizable?

A fairy tale, FROM THE MOST IMPORTANT living SCIENTIST?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Sorry, but I still don't understand from where you coming from...

So to summarize:

The Stephen Hawking' statement is not realizable?

A fairy tale, FROM THE MOST IMPORTANT living SCIENTIST?

You are not only not comprehending what I've said but also what Prof Stephen Hawking said too.

Re-read the article and do some research.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

TEMPO project intent is to send to the past and near future some objects present, who would go to the desert of Arizona. Items sent to past, from Boston (capital city of Massachusetts), will appear immediately in the desert several thousand kilometers from the exit point, and being sent to the future must appear on the destination seven days later time

Like....a plane... Holy crap! The Event is real!

Just kidding. Intriguing...but Hawking always had issues with paradox for travel in the past...even on his own recent special. Guess we'll see...but I'm really doubting this.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Secularist

That's the thing I can't get my head around.

I'm doing physics as an A-level and while I understand alot of it, I can't quite get my head around how physicist's come up with their theories when there is little or no evidence supporting some of them.

Plus I've never really liked Steven Hawking. From what I've seen he isn't very open to conflicting theories, with him it seems that he is right and that is the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great man, but a very stubborn one.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think this guy is closer to getting it right then anyone right now.

With a brilliant idea and equations based on Einstein’s relativity theories, Ronald Mallett from the University of Connecticut has devised an experiment to observe a time traveling neutron in a circulating light beam. While his team still needs funding for the project, Mallett calculates that the possibility of time travel using this method could be verified within a decade.

Sorry Hawkings, but lately he's just been using his name to hype up funding for one thing or another. His health is getting pretty bad but they keep this out of the mainstream media. But anyone can see he is slowing down even further from ALS, his assistant is having trouble talking to him recently.
edit on 11/23/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybernet

haha i know right?..... imagine f he was just building this thing for 2012 for himself so he could travel like 2 days after... haha carry on like its notones business. lol

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't see the point in doing it though, except for validating the theory of relativity

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Since space is moving around all time, how would you know where the object will appear?
It may even appear right inside the sun or at outer space.
After big bang, space has been expending but time may be also expanding as well.
Even if you travel time, there might be slim chance of traveling in the same timeline in the same universe.
It might be that people predicting or having deja vu is because they somehow feel the similar timeline of the other universe which has long ago passed away.(future of this universe maybe past of similar timeline of other universe)
I feel it has lots of incredibly difficult issues to time travel.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join