As of this post:
ATS Posts: 9,828,065 (official no. as of this post)
ATS PID approx: 9.9580,000 (official counting deleted posts)
As we as a community draw nearer to 10,000,000 posts I have been contemplating the significance, if any is to be found, of this number.
I've always aimed to take an honest and authentic approach to what is before me so my own observations in this regard are neither to 'cheerlead' nor
to 'bash' but simply to absorb and try to understand the true meaning of such a number. For ten million anything is a count unfamiliar to most of us
in our daily lives. We understand high numbers, we can count them, but this one is somehow different for everyone who has authored but one post on
ATS is by definition an integral part of it, as are those who are about to join us.
So what does 10,000,000 posts mean?
- It means that above all, people will ALWAYS prefer to communicate within the bounds of civility and courtesy even, in fact especially, when they
disagree on content.
And even though many if not most of us are more liberal in our use of language in our daily lives, we are willing to forego
that latitude if what is shared and learned is worth it. On occasion it takes some folks a couple of times to embrace the lesson, but that's okay,
some believe that we humans also keep coming back as humans until we learn ours … as above top secret so below top secret.
- It means that we want and choose to discuss our differences and similarities. We want to share so much, vent our frustrations, expose our ideas,
our dreams, our laughter, our tears and innermost fears with each other. And with it our stubbornness, our dogma, our intransigence, insecurities,
and all that makes us human is equally shared. And somehow the whole thing works within a balance that makes us all log on … day after day.
- It means that some of us are under the impression that we must post everything we think lest we deprive anyone and everyone of our wisdom!
- It also means that the d-ego is strong in ALL of us in one form or another. I don't mean that in a negative way, for it takes ego to express a
thought. Our ego is both our 'friend' and 'rival' … it can be the source of our expression and the birth of our suffering. Nothing to be done
really, it is what it is … for my part try to always remember something someone said to me a long time ago:
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
It always makes me smile when I think of that and any personal reaction to whatever I am reading dissolves instantly.
- It means that the physical separation provided the web isn't an obstacle to kindness and love but can also be the enabler of intellectual
- It means that there is truly extraordinary and profound information to be found on these servers, and it will remain there. On a side note,
recently the feature of 'show ATS history' was integrated into the Recent Posts page without great fanfare … I don't know how many make use of this
tool but I would encourage everyone to do so, especially on those days when one might not be motivated to post or might not find anything recent to
their liking. Sometimes we get bogged down in the last thing that happened making it the important thing out of habit, but one of the primary
attributes of ATS is that the information is permanent … to make use of only what was recently posted is to make use of a tiny amount of what is
- It means that ATS is really no longer a 'conspiracy' board, even calling it 'alternative topics' doesn't do it justice … it is a venue where
EVERY possibility is considered. Where both research and imagination thrive. In fact, if it were up to me the site mantra would now read "Embrace
Possibility" as opposed to "Deny Ignorance" for that mantra would describe more completely the scope of what we engage in.
It is important to know that the main reason that we're not really a "Conspiracy" site isn't due solely on the fact that a much broader range of
topics is discussed since ATS' early days, but mostly because so many topics once considered taboo are in fact now accepted as 'mainstream', and this
is in part because
- It means that despite some of our protests, the guys at the top actually know what they're doing. I'm still in awe at how smoothly the ATS 2010
ended up going, heck there's no "ATS Issues" thread and no one has even noticed its absence nor has there been a massive increase in B&BQ threads as a
Nothing that is done from the top can ever be positively received by every member of such a large community … but honesty dictates recognition and
appreciation for the owners' and the admins' efforts in this regard must be expressed. They have given us an attractive, highly functional, user
friendly site within which we as members can engage in what matters most: the communication and exchange of ideas.
- It means that this is but the beginning and we all have much much more to look forward to.
I know that 10,000,000 posts means a lot more that these few observations, these are the first ones that came to mind and I'll probably add some
other thoughts down the line. I am hoping others can share what this number means to them or maybe even why it means nothing.
Most of all I guess this whole post is meant as a thank you … a thank you to every member who's ever registered, and ever shared their thoughts with
us, thank you for letting me learn from you and thank you for allowing me to express my own nonsense.
A toast to all and a congrats to the architects!
dictated but not read
edit on 19 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)