It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US scientists move step closer to developing drugs that arrest the aging process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

US scientists move step closer to developing drugs that arrest the aging process

www.news.com.au

N A major breakthrough a team of US scientists said today that they are a step closer to developing drugs that may arrest the aging process and extend life span.

Researchers from the University of Wisconsin-Madison said they have uncovered a molecular pathway that is a key determinant in how fast people age.

They said their findings not only help explain the events that contribute to getting old but also provide a basis for devising interventions and drugs that may retard aging and contribute to better health in old age.

The Daily Express newspaper in Britain said the discovery could
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
so long as it does not extend the old age part of our lives but gives us a few more decades of prime-of-life years that would be great

but we are on the right path - to extend human lifespan and allow us to gain more wisdon and make even more discoveries

I would love to live to 100 years or more but not if these extra years are the debilitating ones that old people suffer at the end of their lifetimes

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

Yes, living 200 years would be nice, but would you really want to live in an overpopulated world that can't sustain the modern way of life? And don't tell me overpopulation is a myth. I think the most "scientific" estimate to how many people Earth can hold is 12 billion, if I'm not mistaken?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

It's not just that mate... You also have to ask yourself this question;
"Do I want to allow TPTB to rule over me for longer than they should?"

I know I wouldn't like TPTB to live longer; pulling their little strings and causing grief for us all.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
this was posted on monstrous awhile ago. Could give us extra time to reach other planets.

www.monstrous.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The average person would never be given this. Just watch, it will be given to someone who is already mad with power and needs to die already, and they will keep him alive so he can continue to terrorize people. Your sweet old grandma will never get this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg
The average person would never be given this. Just watch, it will be given to someone who is already mad with power and needs to die already, and they will keep him alive so he can continue to terrorize people. Your sweet old grandma will never get this.

alas you are probably right - it will be given first to the undeserving rich

it is the deserving poor who would use the extra years for altruistic pursuits

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yep they'll give it to dictators like Kim Jong Il or war criminals like the Bushes/Kissinger/Brezinzski/Soros...

Just the evil rich scum will get this technology, no way in hell the average joe gets this.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

Yes, living 200 years would be nice, but would you really want to live in an overpopulated world that can't sustain the modern way of life? And don't tell me overpopulation is a myth. I think the most "scientific" estimate to how many people Earth can hold is 12 billion, if I'm not mistaken?

Wow what a defeatist view...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Ill openly admit, that I'm all for goverment FEMA death camps and de-population. there is a thing called Carrying Capacity.

As defined by wikipedia,

The carrying capacity of a biological species in an environment is the population size of the species that the environment can sustain indefinitely, given the food, habitat, water and other necessities available in the environment. In population biology, carrying capacity is defined as the environment's maximal load
Carrying capacity

The earth's carrying capacity is 2 billion people. that could be all westernized, contributing nations. those nations would be held to a 1 child rule, and allowed the drug perhaps. Controversial and dangerous what I say, I know, but the eradication of the human species will happen one way or another. war, famine, plague, controlled, cataclysm, aliens, who knows? but it is inevitable, and I want to be on the winning side when it happens is all I can say.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This sounds like an excellent breakthrough but I agree the average person is unlikely to see acsess to this tech; it will be the super rich elites that benefit both in lifetime and power. As such I doubt we'll see over population, but even if life-extension is freely available I don't see it as a problem overpopulation may push us into developing as a people and fuel an expansion into space etc. carrying capacity varies and more efficient use of resources can increase it.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by beachguy123
Ill openly admit, that I'm all for goverment FEMA death camps and de-population. there is a thing called Carrying Capacity.

As defined by wikipedia,

The carrying capacity of a biological species in an environment is the population size of the species that the environment can sustain indefinitely, given the food, habitat, water and other necessities available in the environment. In population biology, carrying capacity is defined as the environment's maximal load
Carrying capacity

The earth's carrying capacity is 2 billion people. that could be all westernized, contributing nations. those nations would be held to a 1 child rule, and allowed the drug perhaps. Controversial and dangerous what I say, I know, but the eradication of the human species will happen one way or another. war, famine, plague, controlled, cataclysm, aliens, who knows? but it is inevitable, and I want to be on the winning side when it happens is all I can say.

yes but

if we have the extra lifespan we can find and colonise other planets

smart people like Michio kaku would live longer and discover more things to help make it happen

so dont be limited by thinking about Earth's limit of population

if we can have lots more of the active years of our lives we can achieve so much that we actually preserve human population in case the earth can no longer sustain us

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Dont worry. If such a drug would already come available, it would be to the very rich elite. They want to depopulate earth so they definitely are going to prevent the masses from getting access to such a drug. On the other hand, it is particularly Asia and Africa that overpopulate earth up till 2050 while America and Europe are relative minority continents. So perhaps we'll get access to it, but Asians and Africans definitely won't.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Dont worry. If such a drug would already come available, it would be to the very rich elite. They want to depopulate earth so they definitely are going to prevent the masses from getting access to such a drug. On the other hand, it is particularly Asia and Africa that overpopulate earth up till 2050 while America and Europe are relative minority continents. So perhaps we'll get access to it, but Asians and Africans definitely won't.

but they need the masses to make money from

they own factories or whatever and sell stuff to us - we make them rich

they need us

they cannot just sell to other rich ppl because their customer base would be too small if it was just for the rich

and who would work their production lines for them? who would be their servants?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
For some reason, I have my doubts that this will ever enter the market... Maybe I'm too pessimistic, I don't know.

If it does, that would be really spectacular. Especially if they manage to double the life span. Unless of course you end up dying from some horrible long term effect of the drug 30 years down the road... Which is bound to happen with big pharma and their joke trial program.

edit on 19-11-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
well lucky for me they use the military for testing on a lot of things. Maybe I'll volunteer and let you guys know how it goes.

new topics

top topics

join