It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You still don't get it. I wouldn't drive a mercedes if my life depended on it. Why pay all that hard-earned money for a over engineered car that can't stay out of the shop. I honestly believe your perceptions of americans are shaped by an inaccurate media portrayal. The only gripe we really have with europe would be the constant string of american bashing. Most of us don't work 100 hour weeks and ignore our kids. Most of us, even if we could afford it, wouldn't hire a nanny. By the way, Nanny is an english term. I never leave my family at night. I've worked hard over the years so that my children could have opportunities to enjoy life. Good food, medical care, dirt bikes, ski trips, education, cars to drive, dental care, and family time. But most of all to intill a work ethic that will help my boys be self sufficient and not dependant on the government or others for their needs and wants. In other words. To be free. And in the course of conversation with my children, the only thing I remember discussing with my kids about europe is that we won't go to France because the french are rude and condescending to americans. We're too busy to spend our time complaining about europe. That's why we get so sick of the insults from europeans.You should take note that over the last few years americans have taken great offense at the anti-american sentiment, and that at some point, when you guys need us, we'll remember. My generation now runs this country, and we're tired of it.
You should also be aware that most of us don't like being involved militarily in other countries. Unless attacked, and then we prefer to respond with overwhelming force. Then leave. I believe in the near future you'll see a great reduction in our role in world security. Most of us prefer our tax dollars not be spent rebuilding countries who sponsored terrorist acts against us. And soon they won't be. But be careful what you ask for, because when foreign troops pour across your border, my generation will likely just remember the insults and condecention.We'll likely let them have you.
We make no apologies. Strike us and we strike back. Period.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Explanation: I find myself S&F!'ing more and more of your threads and post! Please keep up this great work!

I see typical Americans [US civillians] as follows...

Universal Declaration of Human Rights [un.org]

Article 1.
•All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 2.
•Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

I see them at face value and as an A-Priori prioritory, as Human Beings 1st.

But when I see many ATS members who claim US citizenship who are unwilling to admit any wrong doing either personally or as a nation and furthermore when either has been shown to be a false moral position to hold then they refuse to either apologize personally or collectively as a nation, then OL is forced as a last resort to discount them as being humans and to count them instead as monsters [of which I myself am one...so I know exactly how to identify them]. Thankfully enough ATS members claiming US citizenship counterpoint those points of view [such as yourself
] and so I haven't written you all off as worthless
's just yet etc!

Personal Disclosure: OL is an Australian... and I have many a bone to pick with my fellow US ATS members... the JSF is just one of many BS deals and YOUR Mr. Potus failing to visit Oz has me so freaking
that the US embassy just down the road [OL is in ACT Canberra the Capitiol OK] has the biggest target painted on it and my trigger finger is ever so itchy... RC [radio controlled] Drones, Google Earth and my legally insane self [DSP disabillity support pension due to schizophrenia... the violent paranoid kind
] are just some of my friends
willing to help me do this... Me and that army OK!

Do I need to remind everybody that Arkans Tigers [about 50 well armed serbian soldiers] TOTALLY screwed with over 20,000 Bosnian Croats and Muslims over a few months period during the Bosnian war in the early 1990's!

So 20yrs later imagine what ONE well prepared insane Australian could do!

P.S. I'm expecting to be visited soon by say the AFP to discuss the nature of this post and I welcome them as I have a bone to pick verbally with them as well! I have a bone to pick with God even so everybodys getting served equally by me OK! Fair Go Mate!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

funny there are so many in America who blindly romanticize Europe and elsewhere in the world. they think criticizing America often for bull shyt reasons such as proliferation of fast food makes them look somehow sophisticated and edumacated.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Dude I have two teenagers...lol... and they have more sense than you lol. No I am not a teenager... but like I said I am an American, and I sometimes see these traits in myself and it saddens me, because it has been indoctrined into the very fiber of our beings from almost the moment of birth here in America. I am not trying to put anybod down the truth is the truth. I also agree with the poster who said we are more tolerant and kinder than others in other countries, but that's on the surface....deep down we're thinking I have better this or that than you and that's why we're smiling, dude I know this to be true, I have done this... but you know what you can deny that side of yourself all you want, I accept it and deal with it I confront it, because it is not who I want to be, instead of denying it... Yes I want all those things, too, but you know what I can see with my own two eyes? My kids are taken care of, they're happy and they get to have me when and at any time they need me, even if I am working I will stop what I am doing for them, because in the end that is what they will remember!!!! Not the 2 million $ home and video games. So I look at that and I say to myself "WHY TH would you change one single thing?" And I can honestly say, I wouldn't not for all the money in the world!!!! So think what you want, but most of this chasing the dream just makes people miserable.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Sorry, my mistake about your age. Two teenager's huh? Did you have the kids when you were a teenager?

You didn't respond to anything I said about 9/11? You focused on the negative, and that's your perogative. I'm not denying there are some bad. greedy people out there, just don't think that's the majority. Not sure what part of the country you live in. But that's not the people I know.

If your so unhappy I suggest you move to the countryside.....in France.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I really have no frikkin idea what you just said there... however it was amusing!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

That's good then I would not consider you a typical american. My mother don't consider me a typical American because I am not chasing down money and materialistic things myself. She thinks I am the total anti typical american. Just because my whole world isn't about money. I make what I need to make my family and I survive, and that's plenty alright with me. And I served in the military, and I would never say that I wouldn't defend someone else's country because they put the US down. It' is about what's right and what is wrong... if they were invaded it would be wrong not to defend them. And I also happen to agree with most of their thoughts on Americans. Just because I can see it has been indoctrined into us that we must make lots of money and get the shiniest prettiest things on the block, I am seeing this from the inside out not the outside looking in.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

No I am 38, thanks for that...
I was 23 when I had my first....
If I had been a teen well, now I would be coddled by our government now wouldn't I?

Well I have to agree that we can pull together, but why should it take a tragedy to do so???
Why is it all for themselves until TSHTF????
That is the real issue.
edit on 17-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: I needed to add some things

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by delicatessen

Thank you for this reply! This is what I am looking for, and I appreciate your insight.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

LS, thank you for your raw insight, I appreciate you expanding upon your earlier post. Your upbringing, it seems, colors the way you see a typical American, the way I am certain my own colors mine.

And it goes to show that there are indeed many different views of what a Typical American is thought to be.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by delicatessen

Thank you for this reply! This is what I am looking for, and I appreciate your insight.

To answer the question you had asked if hollywood made this the typical stereotype of the American person, no I do not, I think our government did that, and our public education, indoctrining us to beleive that the only worth we have is how much money we can make and how many things we could buy buy buy!!! But to be fair, in a capitalist machine, they need that indoctrinization to keep their machine going. This was portrayed to me all my life that, above everything... MAKE MONEY AND SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

There are no typical people from any nations outside of physical chacteristics from homogeneous nations.

There are, however typical fools to attempt to sterotype people for what ever reason they choose to sterotype them.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by TWILITE22

It stopped being a melting pot once they kept adding the same seasonings. Yeah the ingredients vary but the seasoning stay same :p
ha ha your right!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I probably provoked this thread didn't I? Well I was born in The States and I moved to Canada when I was seventeen to get away from the nonsense. Although I still live in San Diego for portions of the year and retain a dual-citizenship, I renounce the education I received there because the education system is run by nationalist retards that would have everyone believe that America has never lost a war, and that the FDA is out for everyone's best health interests. And that we need to praise the flag and our freedoms and our brave, brave heroes of today that aid the corporatocracy and trample all over the world! Oh, sorry did you take offense to that? I wonder if that's why the government uses the "American Hero" as a disposable asset to form supply lines for practically free income. My bad."Our freedoms!!!" Capitalism is the best thing ever, the flag said so!!! And our forefathers!!! Our freedom!!! Flags!!!

The saddest thing is that almost everyone buys the nonsense and continues to zombie around, raising concern to the government only when the "militant gays" try to "destroy the American family" or someone insults the nation's ties to Christianity. The people then get steamrolled by large corporations that force them to die and suffer for them (literally) and they still say "I love America; BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD".

The only time there has been so much nationalist ignorance and arrogance in one country was 70 years ago in Germany.

Now go back to your cheeseburger and fries and munch away your frustrations so that you can get coronary heart disease and feed the FDA's little game they have going with everyone's lives... surely the military is doing a fantastic job of "fighting our freedoms".

Typical Americans.

The stereotypes are accurate if based on the tendencies of the American public to just bend over and take it rough from the government, law enforcement, and large corporations, then go around touting their country like it's so spectacular and wonder why everyone thinks they're lame.

If the world was a family, America would be the bratty preteen daughter that wants to look like Britney Spears, refuses to wear actual articles of clothing, lies about her age, and goes around ripping out her sisters' hair because she wants her shoes -- then complains about breaking nail in the process. Coincidentally these creatures exist in America (I think they call it a Snookie).
edit on 17-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by TWILITE22

There's no such thing as a typical American............melting pot?ever heard of that before?

There is too such a thing. It is called the perception of another, as to what defines the Typical American. Even by your response, you are telling me in your perception, the Typical American is of a melting pot.
typical as in the examples of what you showed?No unless your that stereo-typical and shallow to say that we are all one and the same,I don't think so.It's a very narrow minded way to view Americans.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

What is the Typical/Average American Family like?

I'm an American, I do not take these stereotypes as personal attacks. I look around at my fellow countrymen and see there is some truth in the stereotypes.

• Nannys, babysitters, or daycares. Many, many Americans shuttle their children onto others while they work or while they go enjoy life. Even consistently putting the kids in the care of grandparents or other relatives.

• Nursing Homes. We don't even take care of our elders! My parents did not throw me away as a helpless infant with the excuse, "We don't have time, It's too hard, I need to focus on my own life, etc." Parents take care of us in our helpless stage, so we should take care of them in their helpless stage.

• How many families do you know that actually spend time together. Consistently? Not just staring at the television... Family meals, sitting, talking, vacationing, shopping, etc. Sure, it's easy when parents do these things with younger children, but how many keep this bond past adolescence?

• Divorce rates are through the roof!

• "Baby momma and baby daddy" culture is widespread. Teen marriage out of wedlock is the norm, but no one is advocating marriage and family.

In my opinion, the American Family system is an abomination. On average and typically.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

I like this thread...S and F for you. I did a google image search for "typical Israeli". As interesting or more interesting than "typical American".

I bet when you did that you found the McDonald kid, American Family on HOliday and the Ol' gunslinging geezer?

Coz as we all know. Israel runs the show in the US.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Someone wrote a book called the Average American, Kevin OKeefe.

www.theaverageamerican.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Has no true understanding or perspective of the world outside of America, believe it or not only 20 percent of Americans have a passport, yet Americans believe that all others should aspire to them.

Also are the American public lazy?
Europe is fighting for a fairer place, strikes, marches, Protests while Americans are doing a big fat nothing and seem to accept everything that happens even if they dont like it.

Just wanted to add some thoughts.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blaenau2000
Has no true understanding or perspective of the world outside of America, believe it or not only 20 percent of Americans have a passport, yet Americans believe that all others should aspire to them.

Also are the American public lazy?
Europe is fighting for a fairer place, strikes, marches, Protests while Americans are doing a big fat nothing and seem to accept everything that happens even if they dont like it.

Just wanted to add some thoughts.

I agree, I mean shouldn't we band together and raise the roof off this m**** FER???? Pushing aside the nuclear family for attempting to live champagne lifestyles, our servicemen and women coming home broke and homeless, while the corporations get a 30 trillion dollar bailout, the government taking a S*** on our very freedoms to just survive much less any other freedoms?!!!! We should be getting out there off our A**** and doing something about it, but blindly we go to the polls and vote, as if that is going to do a darn thing about our current situation!!!! One voice is not enough. When Rosa Parks took her stand on that bus she was not the only one she may have been the first but, they banded together and formed a united front against the government to win their freedoms...all we have so far is a fart in the wind here now!
edit on 17-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join