It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typical American

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Well here is my idea of the typical American...er what every typical American looks up to and wants to become:

I think many non Americans would share your POV, and obviously, Americans too. How did we get such an image? Did Hollywood help prpetrate that myth upon the world? That of a greedy power hungry American, cold and callous to all but the almighty dollar?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Here's why. We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.

And you wonder why there is negative sterotypes aboput Americans?

This is a "typical" American response

Car - invented by a German, Benz.
Automobile - invented by a Frenchman, Cugnot
Telephone - Toss up Bell or Gray (Scottish or US, your guess is as good as mine)
Computer - well this one is interesting, do you mean first computer or first "modern computer". First computer - Babbage, Charles, England.

Do I need to continue?

This is one of the unfortunate reasons why Americans are seen as "typically" arrogant.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.
Despite this infestation of foreigners and liberals, we're still the richest, most innovative, most technologically advanced, and most free nation in the history of man.
Is that what you mean by typical american? Because lets be honest. Without the typical american, the typical european would be riding to work on their job at a farm on a bicycle with wooden wheels. All while speaking german.
The french wouldn't be rioting in the streets over having to work until 62 to get free government cheese because they'd be busy surrendering to the bahamas or something.
Here's the typical american. He's a guy like me, who gets sick of an entire continent who couldn't do in thousands of years what we did in 200 insulting us and telling us how to live. A continent who apparantly despises us until they need someone to defend them because they're own citizens are too busy running like hell.

This, to me, is a typical American.

Second Line.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

reply to post by ldyserenity

As a typical american, and on behalf of other typical americans, you are welcome to leave anytime. Instead of blaming americans for your failures, have you considered the fact that you may lack talent, intellegence and the work ethic necessary to be successful here? Sounds like you don't have the capability to compete, which is really you're problem.

What failures, I have three beautiful kids who are more selfless then selfish, and they are my success...you see to me success isn't measured in materialistic CRAP...my success is measured in what I can do for my family and that is very evident that I am successful everytime I see them smile when I am there to help them learn and grow or spend QUALITY time with them. My success isn't measured by your standards

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

There's no such thing as a typical American............melting pot?ever heard of that before?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Here's where your ignorance is on display. We do what we do in order to take care of our families and ourselves. We don't phone the head of the EU and ask for loose change because cheese sales are down. We don't mooch. Remember, if you can't take care of yourself, you're not really free. What's it like to lay around waiting for other people to feed and defend you? If by greed you mean wanting the best possible life for our families, yep that's us. By your own admission, the european approach would be to lay around under a tree, hoping the americans will come along and feed their kids and keep the bad guys out. We give more to the rest of the world, via food assistance, medicine, charity, than does the rest of the world combined. Perhaps if the rest of you had a little bit of the personal accountability we have, we wouldn't have to baby sit you.
Most of us have always wondered what such an unaccomplished continent who saw it's best days 300 years ago has to be so arrogant about.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

To be fair self preservation is not only an American trait but a human and animal trait too. I don't think self preservation is a bad trait to have, and if that is how a typical American is perceived that is a positive trait imo.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

It stopped being a melting pot once they kept adding the same seasonings. Yeah the ingredients vary but the seasoning stay same :p

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Or seen as typically ignorant, which is a Typical American myth I see a lot on the internet, and in media stories.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

There's no such thing as a typical American............melting pot?ever heard of that before?

There is too such a thing. It is called the perception of another, as to what defines the Typical American. Even by your response, you are telling me in your perception, the Typical American is of a melting pot.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

So you need that Mercedes and the Boat to take care of your family? Uh huh, so much that your family never sees your face or even knows what you look like anymore? Yeah you need that ten million dollars to buy that mansion for the family that never gets any quality time, they need that nanny, the maids, and the chauffers to live a fulfilling life??? hmmmm..... You make my case in point... I am by no means wealthy, but my children have something yours don't: a mother not a nanny, and a father, not a butler, and they can get around in my ten yr old car just as efficiently as that 45,000 dollar mercedes, and actually see their parents and oh ma gosh actually take FAMILY vacations, Not sitting in the home with a nanny while the parents go vacationing on seperate vacations I might add and I am willing to bet mine will also be much more well adjusted for society, then all of yours!
edit on 17-11-2010 by ldyserenity because: more extra letters blah

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

We give more to the rest of the world, via food assistance, medicine, charity, than does the rest of the world combined.

You forgot to mention we spread the most war, we do the most moral corruption with our media propaganda machine, we are the largest consumer of drugs, and we kill more than anyone else.

On the Conspiracy Side, we are responsible for most covert civil unrest antagonism, and we spread the most diseases.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

To be fair self preservation is not only an American trait but a human and animal trait too. I don't think self preservation is a bad trait to have, and if that is how a typical American is perceived that is a positive trait imo.

I think that is what I said....

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Actually, you're quite wrong. But what's most disturbing is the way you guys constantly dish out the insults, but whine like a baby the minute you're called on it. You're reading the version of history that was revised by the third reich. No wonder. The only reason the UN exists is to insult america. You guys make an industry of it, while taking hand outs from is with the other hand. It is you guys who have nothing better to talk about than how bad america is. Interestingly, we seldom discuss europe because europe plays absolutely no role in our lives. How sophisticated is europe, really. Hell, half of your countries still have a king.
Just know this. Make all the insults you like. Again, we really don't give a rip. It just gets old, because the next time something bad happens you'll be right back begging us to bail you out of it. Because you guys are great at making messes but lack the ability to clean them up.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

So you are describing the Typical American, to be a Mercedes driving, Mansion dweller, with nanniies and chauffuers?

This is interesting, because in my daily happenings, I do not encounter any Americans that fit that bill. I encounter more of the Typical Americans of the other stereotypes.

It might be said how we perceive the Typical American is how we perceive ourselves.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I don't believe he is saying that we are all fit that description. I believe he is saying that is the life we Americans strive towards instead of living a morally and family-type of life.

We put our kids in daycares and we throw our parents away in nursing homes. What the hell is family in America anymore? American families don't even stay well-bonded, on average... "typically"

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I was just going to defend Americans against the world view that they are ignorant of the rest of the world and then this guy came along and ruined it

Here's why. We invented cars, airplanes, the telephone, the computer, nuclear power, the automobile, the assembly line, modern medicine, space travel, television, radio, the elevator, steel frame buildings (the skyscraper), petroleum extraction and use, the internal combustion engine, automatic weaponry, the calculator, the telegraph, the internet, and captialism just to rattle off a few.

Having an American girlfriend, and having experienced a bit more of American life then most Europeans (well I've spent a little time living in a trailer in NH
)

I would categorize a "typical" American as follows
A lot more optimistic then their European counterparts, sometimes just crossing the border into Nieve
Very hard working, with a strong ethic that working hard is the natural way of life.
Right wing in a way that makes the most right wing Europeans look like a Communist
Maybe a little arrogant, but theres nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance now and again
Quite conservative in their tastes

Edit to add.
I've found that they will go out of their way to be helpful in a way that most Europeans won't and have a general lack of cynicism

edit on 17-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
as someone who grew up in late 90s/early 00s in a Post Soviet country, i can tell you how people from former USSR/Russia/Post Soviet Territory perceive America:

1. the first thing they notice upon entering USA (past the customs of course) is people sporting kind facial expressions. at first it actually looks kind of freaky when you see strangers greeting you, smiling at you, nodding etc. A TOTAL STRANGER BEING NICE TO YOU????? it`s, kind of, unheard of in Post Soviet countries. many are taken aback how everyone in service side is very respectful, attentive and generally nice no matter how, umm, upscale the establishment is and how, well, shabby you look.

2. no matter how much American media talks about racism it`s just not on scale it`s in Europe, Russia. American people are very tolerant of others. i know, probably your so called hill billy cousin down south constantly expresses his disdain for Jews and blacks, but he lacks anger and deep down doesnt even meant it. people, beyond the westernmost point of Europe are ANGRY, man! they are just effing ANGRY! and i have seen it and lived through that.

3. it`s bizarre how everyone in America works or is looking for a job. and how there`s wealth of everything especially food.

mostly it brings about fascination with America, but it also often breeds envy and jealousy in those people. so they come up with all sorts of "typical American" bull shyt. dont belive me? hit those "Russian America" type of sites. or just take a hike to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn NY. first time i came across Russian community in USA who migrated here in 70s i couldnt help, but notice how they are still angry and miserable. this is very specific type of nasty, unbridled anger that alienates everyone. also often they show extreme displeasure with new migrants, yet they are the recent migrants themselves, namely 70s.

all in all, i love the typical American.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

So you are describing the Typical American, to be a Mercedes driving, Mansion dweller, with nanniies and chauffuers?

This is interesting, because in my daily happenings, I do not encounter any Americans that fit that bill. I encounter more of the Typical Americans of the other stereotypes.

It might be said how we perceive the Typical American is how we perceive ourselves.

No but they all wannabe... in essence.... we're all a bunch of wannabes... wannabe a star, wanna have mansions and mercedes' and think that is the only way our children can be happy, But you know what I lived that life as a child (I didn't have mercedes or nannies mostly extended family took care of me) While my parents vacationed and went out and had loads of fun meanwhile I had to cook(No maid or butler or chauffer) AND raise myself because my parents as most wanted the "Wealthy lifestyle" They wanted caviar dreams and what not, just wannabes... pushing their kids aside to chase after it, and I see so many parents doing this, it's disgusting... but it's prevalent in America, And I do not see this with others from other countries, like my german and italian grandparents, it was never about what they wanted but always about giving their children necessities of life and spending their time and love on them not looking for the next best car, or the biggest salary or the nicest house.
I think all of humanity has turned their backs on what is really important, their family but it is most prevalent in America then anywhere else. And it disgusts me when they use "I am doing it for my family" As an excuse, cause that's what my parents always claimed, yet funny how they had all this wealth and didn't send me to college so how exactly were they doing it for me? Or my sister or brother? They didn't get sent to college either, one family vacation never happened, could my mother be there for one choral recital? NOPE! One ballet recital(which she forced me into)? NOPE! Ever get me vocal lessons? WHEN I asked? NOPE... no she was too busy trying to keep up with the jones' and Id espise them for it...and despise every parent that pushes their responsibility off to another just to chase a pipe dream! And then to add insult to injury, say "I am doing this for my family" What a load of BS!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Sad. My guess is your a teenager, angry at the world. I don't deny there are greedy people out there. But I find Americans live their lives, but when it comes to people in need, forgiveness, Americans stand up.

My guess is your too young to be around for 9/11. I'm from the NYC area, lost two friends in WTC. What the people of NY did during that time, and then how the American people followed up with is amazing. Yes now people ask what happened to cause the Towers to fall? What are the politicians doing to get the guilty parties? All fair questions that I hope get answered. However to me the most important part was how people reacted to one another. You want to learn about someone's character, take a look at them during a crisis. Americans came through that with flying colors. I'm NOT talking about politicians. Look at how many resuce workers lost their lives to help others, look at all the volunteers.

I ask you how much you reach out to others? If your in highschool I know there are probably cliques, and I see where you would look at people being selfish. Out in the real world, people are looking to make a buck, but there is a lot of people who will step up to the plate for others. It's just like the news every night. The bad stuff is more interesting, so that's why you hear about it. The good stuff, not so interesting.

I hope you take a better look around, or just grow up and see what this country is all about. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join