It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zeeman Crater - NASA editing at it's finest?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I used to visit the John Lear kingdom and all I could do was laugh at the reverance in which Lear was held and he never earned it 'cause he was off the wall and none of the pictures he submitted, or if someone else submitted and he guided them, you never saw anything out of the ordinary. A good imagination was all that was needed and pareidolia ruled. But I'll go visit the pages again and relive the "good times"!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
The OP image is a Clementine image... from the first released version US NAVY browser version 1.5

Before that there was version 1.1, at least they talk about that version in their site.

A totally different angle on that crater and it too is smudged

It's not a different angle, the image is rotated.

And I can show an older image without the smudge, here. Download the TIFF image and you can see that there is no smudge.

Coincidence? Don't believe in them

That's because you're not a programmer, coincidences do exist, and they appear in the worst occasions.

But I don't think it's a coincidence, just another use of the same image. No need for coincidences.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Wonder why the US Dept of Defense needed Moon Maps

Maybe they didn't needed the maps, just the technology.

The leading advocate NEO detection and mitigation within the DoD is Brigadier General (select) Simon P. "Pete" Worden, currently serving as the Deputy Director for Command and Control (XOC), reporting to the Deputy Chief of Staff of the Air Force for Air and Space Operations, at the Pentagon. Worden, trained as a research astronomer with a PhD from the University of Arizona, is probably best known in the space and astronomy community as director of the 1994 lunar probe named Clementine that orbited the Moon and found some of the first evidence of water possibly hidden in the soil of polar craters there. Clementine II, mentioned earlier, planned to rendezvous with an asteroid until President Clinton’s line-item veto killed the program. During a series of assignments at the Ballistic Missile Defense Office (BMDO), the White House Staff, Air Force Space Command and the Air Staff, Worden championed the use of GEODSS and development of LINEAR to catalogue 1 km-class asteroids, as well as the exploitation of microsatellite technologies to identify smaller NEOs and as a low-cost method to divert Earth-threatening asteroids.
Planetary Defense:
Eliminating the Giggle Factor

In fact, recognizing the potential seriousness of such events, the Congress in 1990 mandated that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) conduct two workshops to study the issue of NEOs. The first of these workshops, the International NEO Detection Workshop or "Spaceguard Survey," held in several sessions during 1991, defined a program for detecting kilometer-sized or larger NEOs. The second workshop, the NEO Interception Workshop, held in January 1992, studied issues in intercepting and deflecting or destroying those NEOs determined to be on a collision course. In related action, Congress also funded two asteroid intercept technology missions: Clementine I and Clementine II. Clementine I was launched in 1994 to demonstrate space-based interceptor “Brilliant Pebbles” technology. Clementine II is scheduled for launch in 1998. The United Nations has directed national labs, corporations, and universities to accomplish other studies.
Planetary Defense:
Catastrophic Health Insurance for Planet Earth

President Clinton also cancelled the Clementine II space probe due to concerns about violating the ABM Treaty.35 By firing small projectiles at asteroids, it would test technologies for use in missile defense applications.36 Clementine II would have demonstrated SBMD-relevant technologies to quell political concerns about the potential of Brilliant Pebbles technology.37 The first Clementine technology demonstration program also attempted to space-qualify first-generation Brilliant Pebbles miniature, self-contained hardware and software.38 “This Clementine mission achieved many of its technology objectives during its flight to the Moon in early 1994 but, because of a software error, was unable to test the autonomous tracking of a cold target.”39 Fluctuating political concerns and differing interpretations of the ABM Treaty reflected changes in the US will to deploy SBMD.These cancellations might have been an instinctive reaction to the end of the Cold War and the perceived lack of a credible ballistic missile threat. However, the world became more dangerous following the Cold War because, instead of the threat emanating from one country, now it came from many smaller countries. Not realizing that the ballistic missile threat was increasing, the United States cut funds for missile defense, and teams of technologists either moved on to other projects or disbanded.
Deterrence and Space-Based Missile Defense

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

(snip)
You ARE aware that the Clementine mission was a US NAVY with the Ballistic Missile Defense Agency project? Part of the Star Wars program?
(snip)

What, in heavens' ( pun) name is a space agency doing with a water "agency"? Because it was eventually learned that the moon "had" water?

www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil...
"On January 25, 1994, the Deep Space Program Science Experiment (DSPSE) (better known as Clementine) was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, on a mission designed to test lightweight miniature sensors and advanced spacecraft components by exposing them, over a long period of time, to the difficult environment of outer space. In addition to testing the various sensors, Clementine was given the complex task of mapping the moon. The mission results were spectacular."

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

(snip)
The Lunar Orbiter images were taken in High Res back in the 60's Why did it take so long to release those to us? Remember the McMoon scandal with the 'missing' lunar orbiter tapes found at an abandoned McDonald's?

(snip)

NASA started releasing large-size atlases and other pictorial publications of the moon in the early '70s. My 9-pound LUNAR ORBITER PHOTOGRAPHIC ATLAS OF THE MOON from 1971 has 675 plates with the large ones measuring approx. 9" wide, 11-1/2" high and the resolution is better than the online version!

I acquired it in the early 1980s.

edit on 13-11-2010 by The Shrike because: Added comment.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by AutOmatIc

No, at most we have photos from several wavelengths, some of those from the visible spectrum, but not enough to make a true colour (or even an approximate true colour) image.

That's really interesting, thanks for the reply! I hope one day to be able to see some full color ones, would be quite eye-opening I believe.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Colour photos from the Apollo missions are available in several sites, but the condition in which those photos were taken were not the best for consistency, so the colours change from photo to photo.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
(snip)
The "Timex watch" is still a puzzle

It's not a Timex, it's an Omega!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c15b9add9ad.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Maybe they didn't needed the maps, just the technology.

(snip)

Moon maps had multi-use, primarily by astronomers and educators. NASA, being a "sharing" agency may have done it with that purpose in mind.
edit on 2010/11/13 by GradyPhilpott because: trimmed nested quote

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

LOL

second line ---> ____________
edit on 13-11-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I always just love when people say NASA is fooling us while using NASA images to support their claims. Is that kettle black, or am I on pot?

What you have to realize is that there is no benefit to NASA for lying about what they can detect celestially. And I would like just one explanation on how beings from (whatever) light years away from us are visiting us today or anytime in our Earth's history. In fact it takes a third generation star to support any kind of life as we know, that means that a star must be formed, explode in a few billion years, create another star in a couple of billion years later, explode and form the 3rd generation star as our Sun probably at least 13 billion years in the making.

If there is a star nearby that is a million years older than our sun that supports life that became intelligent within 4 billion years they might have a technological advantage on us.

But you still have to explain how they can move matter faster than light speed to ever get here. Sorry, reality is quite boring an Occam's razor is quite sharp, in an uninspiring sort of way for dreamers that is.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
That is weird. I first thought it looked like a wrist watch.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
BTW Voyager 2 was launched in 1977, and it is only half the way into interstellar space. Meaning it is only half the way away from the influence of our sun today, meaning it is still well within OUR solar system, in 33 years of travel.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

You assume too much. If there is any life out there, it wouldn't be fair to look at it as we view earth. Our science very well could be wrong. I don't care for theories, may have's, could've been, or we believe's as said so often in so called scientific 'discoveries'.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Voyager 2 is about 13 billion kilometers (93.08 AU) from the Sun, entering the heliopause, pretty much the "edge" of the Solar System. Certainly far more than half way to interstellar space.
web.mit.edu...

edit on 11/13/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc
That's really interesting, thanks for the reply! I hope one day to be able to see some full color ones, would be quite eye-opening I believe.

Reiner Gamma Near Side magnetic anomaly

From Earth (London) via 10" Telescope

From Clementine color data set

That is the 10% version the full scale is 110 megs

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The ShrikeMy 9-pound LUNAR ORBITER PHOTOGRAPHIC ATLAS OF THE MOON from 1971 has 675 plates with the large ones measuring approx. 9" wide, 11-1/2" high and the resolution is better than the online version!

We got that too
Where you think John found all those anomalies? And we have full size 16x20 negatives and original prints

But as to why some can see the anomalies right away and easily while others see nothing but blurry rocks...

You say Pareidolia I say Prosopagnosia

But I have a different theory on that... and it was proven with more than one person who suddenly spotted what we saw... then after that the viel was lifted and they became one of us
A thing the skeptics fear the most

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
What, in heavens' ( pun) name is a space agency doing with a water "agency"? Because it was eventually learned that the moon "had" water?

Well in StarTrek its the NAVY that rules space... and in our time its the Naval Space Command that rules space in reality. NASA is just there to make pretty pictures and keep the public occupied

edit on 13-11-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeeker8300

When people tell me science is only a theory, I tell them 'the bomb' works!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join