It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs of war parachuted into Taliban land

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontProbeMeBro
Hahhahah this made me lol.

Now wait a minute....wasn't there a huge hootenfoogen over the fact that a group of people hooked a donkey up to a para sail over the summer?

So how is it ok to deploy dogs by parachute?

lol

Ask these guys lol:

Animal rights activists have expressed outrage at such use of dogs. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said: “Dogs are not tools or ‘innovations’ and are not ours to use and toss away like empty ammunition shells.”

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Ok. I think it's time you brush up on military history...
I'm not expert but I know that humans have been using animals in war throughout history. Horses (Mongol Empire), elephants (Persia), dogs (you ever play Call of Duty
), carrier pigeons (at least since WWI)... Now in this war we are using dogs and rats. It's not far-fetched or desparate.

It's the smart thing to do. Did you know that those rats can smell landmines in a fraction of the time of detectors? Why not use the most appropriate and efficient tools at your disposal?

That is exactly what I'm saying, although I'm not talking about rats, I'm talking about these dogs.

What is the purpose for these dogs>? Surveillance? I thought we had satellites?

Is it to attack insurgents? That is not efficient tool is it?

According to military sources, they have been carrying out “decapitation” operations aimed at Taliban commanders in Helmand and Kandahar.

I'm still lost.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Why would you send dogs alone to sniff out IEDs, what is the point of that? IEDs can easily be moved to different locations, they are cheap, they are flexible, made at home.

Because they tend to work.

They have been for hundreds of years.

dogs of war in history

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Actually this is exactly what we should be doing.... It's best so that we don't risk human lives.

If we don't want to risk human lives, we shouldn't go to war in the first place.

Pick a side. Go to war or save human lives. You can't have both.

Involving other animal species in our despicable need to kill each other is a disgrace.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is a tried and true technique used the world over and is nothing new some of the dogs of war date back to approx 1200 B.C greeks and romans used them even the Russians used them in their endeavors in Afghanistan so I seen nothing new here

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This is truly disgusting! If people want to fight, fine let them fight but leave animals out of it.
This is so pathetic.

Its been used before in WW2 with german shepards that had been starved, explosives strapped on and set to run towards tanks, where the bomb would be detonated. Mind numbing BS!

Dolphins were also used in a similar way to deliver bombs to ships.

This pisses me off big time, another example of man using animals in something horrific.

Does anyone else see any wrong here?

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

ZZZ DOGS VS AK47..

Do you think that is a viable solution?

That is the dumbest solution I have ever heard.

This is not the mid-evil times, this is the 21st century. If a dog runs towards someone with a gun, the dog will get shot dead.

That is why 8 has already died, how many trained dogs with cameras do they have? and those cameras might come in handy.

Here is my theory in this.

The US has send these dogs with cameras, the cameras have tracking devices, when the dogs are killed, the insurgents will take the cameras obviously. Those cameras will be the next drone attack target, or the next point of operation for the special forces.

That is what I think, I better inform the insurgents quick of this BS lol, they might fall for the trap.

Decapitation my a$$

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Wonder if they just leave them behind when they no longer need them. Like they did to service dogs used in Nam.

Nearly 4000 dogs served in Vietnam and saved up to 10,000 American servicemen through their scouting and sentry duties. When withdrawing from Vietnam in 1973, the military classified the dogs as surplus equipment to be left behind during evacuation. Many dogs were left with South Vietnamese allies who were afraid of the dogs and didn't know how to handle them. Many of the dogs were euthanized, and many more perished at the hands of their inexperienced South Vietnamese handlers. Only a handful of Vietnam war dogs made it back to the United States. Many handlers and trainers who worked with these dogs were traumatized by having to leave their faithful companions behind, stating that the dogs saved their lives and often did more work than they did.
www.eagleid.com...
b-29s-over-korea.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Why not use eagles as helicopters,

Attach lasers in their and cameras in them and let them fly.

Reminds me of dr evils sharks with lasers on em.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
the united states has always used dogs.. we used them in the MP bomb sniffers and there half been dogs over there since we started the war and they report only 8 and let me tell you from first hand know how.. when some one who can't really shoot to start with and couldn't hit the bright side of a barn would have a hard time shooting at a dogs.. also on a side note.. the army still has horses

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Actually, sounds like a good plan to me.They also use rats to sniff out landmines. So long as it works, why not?

Why not use elephants as tanks

Reminds me of that movie, you know, the one where Persia VS some imaginary Western 300 FORCE

You are making very little sense here. First elephants as tanks is not analogous with how the U.S. are using these dogs. It seems like a decent idea to me. If they can do this and identify enemies in a house instead of dropping a bomb on one and killing an innocent family, i'm all for it.

Also what the hell are you talking about persia vs some imaginary western 300 force? You need to check into a little bit of history. Sure the story was exaggerated to make it cinematic.. but it certainly isnt imaginery.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

ZZZ DOGS VS AK47..

Do you think that is a viable solution?

That is the dumbest solution I have ever heard.

This is not the mid-evil times, this is the 21st century. If a dog runs towards someone with a gun, the dog will get shot dead.

That is why 8 has already died, how many trained dogs with cameras do they have? and those cameras might come in handy.

Here is my theory in this.

The US has send these dogs with cameras, the cameras have tracking devices, when the dogs are killed, the insurgents will take the cameras obviously. Those cameras will be the next drone attack target, or the next point of operation for the special forces.

That is what I think, I better inform the insurgents quick of this BS lol, they might fall for the trap.

Decapitation my a$$

Why on earth would they take the cameras? The dogs are for the function stated. They can roam through the place and attack. A dog isn't going to siege so insurgents aren't going to go into a knee jerk shoot em up like they would if soldiers invaded. I would say they are exactly for surveillance.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You think that's bad? dog vs AKM?

How about the calvarymen of the West. They had Army horses that they grew to love when they got to keep one for a while. They would run patrols with their horses between their forts for endless miles to enforce their given orders. They knew that if they were to get ambushed, and pinned down in wide open terrian, they would have to bring their horses down, and take cover behind the bodies to use as cover. Right now there are special forces on horseback too along side the dogs and the hummvees. It just works for them.

It sucks, war really is evil. The germans used thousands and thousands of horses to move their supplies in WW2. The pilots in P51's who shot the convoys up in didn't ceasefire because they thought "oh look at all the horsies". they didn't cease fire all. They just destroyed everything in the convoy horses and all.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Heard of a satellite

Technology has advanced.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Heard of a satellite

Technology has advanced.

So you can see inside houses and into basements with satellite now?
2nd

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

So dogs have magical abilities to get inside houses now, and open doors and locks.

It would have been better if they sent a mouse with a camera rather than a dog with a camera.

If they send dogs which bites with cameras to people's houses, that is terrorism anyways, then again, US doesn't support terrorism and is fighting terrorism front line

Sorry for twists, it just doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Join the SPCA and do some good for the stray dogs in your neighbourhood.The war dogs are simple soldiers who got drafted just like the humans do.
They perform invaluable tasks and get nothing but a milk bone for their heroism.
If people think the dogs should not be used for this, because its inhumane, i ask why is it less inhumane to send a man in to do the work?
the dogs obviously have a better chance of pulling the mission off than men.They are saving lives of our troops.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

So dogs have magical abilities to get inside houses now, and open doors and locks.

It would have been better if they sent a mouse with a camera rather than a dog with a camera.

If they send dogs which bites with cameras to people's houses, that is terrorism anyways, then again, US doesn't support terrorism and is fighting terrorism front line

Sorry for twists, it just doesn't make sense to me.

You are making assumptions about my beliefs. Did I ever give you any reason to think I thought "terrorism" was of the table for the U.S. I think they are entirely capable and would guarantee the dogs were trained to attack. And come on.. have you seen these houses in Afghanistan? You are just arguing to be arguing.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I lived in Afghanistan, I know how the houses are built.

The source states that these dogs are trained to bite people with guns, whose to say these dogs won't bite anyone else??

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I lived in Afghanistan, I know how the houses are built.

The source states that these dogs are trained to bite people with guns, whose to say these dogs won't bite anyone else??

You lived there? Then you should have known why it would have worked rather than the "dogs opening doors" comment? Either way.. it isn't an embarrassing failure of a plan. The U.S. has used animals many times or considered it and were generally successful.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join