It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Cure For Hangovers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
US scientists now believe the cure may actually lie in a prickly pear.

An extract from the skin of the plant was found in tests to ease the symptoms of a night of over-indulgence.

www.sky.com...

This seems to be the real thing. This could help some enjoy spirits they would not have been able to otherwise. I know some people who get a headache from one beer.

Maybe the perveted judge could've used this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I could have used some of this extract this morning - My head felt like a prickly pear...I wonder how much the stuff would cost.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The report I read said it cured 3 out of nine hangovers. Todays Buffalo News.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The study in the link above says it significantly reduces three of the nine symptoms of hangover.

Hey, a chance to reduce a hangover by 33% is a good deal. How about generating our own empirical evidence about this cure?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Be smart about drinking.

Drink lots of water.
Eat Cabage
Drink on a full stomach
Liqour before beer all clear; beer before liqour never sicker. . . Or is it the other way around?

Easy to lessen a hangover if you do a little before drinking.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I always see commercials on TV for hangover cure pills. Maybe they should just focus on cancer?

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If I know I've drank too much I'll drink a lot of water before sleep, and maybe pop an aspirin, and all's well in the morning. I know that doesn't work for everyone though, so this is good if it can help people. Wonder how much money went into researching this - something that is totally preventable. lol

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hangovers are from lack of water. Alcohol is a diuretic. So to cure a hangover, dont drink black coffee (also a diuretic), just drink ALOT of water. Works for me.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero_snaz

Liqour before beer all clear; beer before liqour never sicker. . . Or is it the other way around?

Yeah, that's it, Liquor b4 beer never fear; beer b4 liquor never sicker.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I agree with JustAnIllusion, whenever I go out to the bar or out with the guys from work, I drink usually a quart of water and take two Motrins before I go to bed, and I wake up feeling fine. I also tend to adhere to the 'hard before beer, you're in the clear, beer before hard, you're puking in the yard' addage I picked up when I was in Australia.

I think that if someone wants a 33 per cent chance at not having a hangover, they should stop drinking like a retard and realize all the pissing you do in a night dehydrates you, maybe drink something OTHER THAN beer before you go to sleep. I don't think a 'hangover cure' will ever exist.

BTW--
BOHICA is an acronym we frequently use at my workplace. I was wondering if you username means the same.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Personally I believe that the best cure for a hangover is not to drink at all.. To excess that is.

Being Australian it is the image of a beer drinking truck driver that wears an acubra coming to mind. I can tell you it's far from that.

Although when I do hit the grog hard I rarely wake up with a hangover. It's sleep that I have deprived my body of!

I think it has alot to do with your genetic makeup, body size and tolerance that makes the awful morning after.

Try a glass of vegemite (a teaspoon in hot water) or another beer in the morning. As I have heard that Vitamin B is a major factor in remedying the hangover blues.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzChris
Try a glass of vegemite (a teaspoon in hot water) or another beer in the morning. As I have heard that Vitamin B is a major factor in remedying the hangover blues.

We don't have vegemite in Amerika, and I don't know how many people here could stomach it. It's an acquired taste, kind of like musk sticks and a few other things I tried down there. I can't disagree with the B Vitamin idea though, B Vitamins are good for the body.

mrq

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I've never tried any of the Hangover Cure pills, but friends of mine who have tell me they do zilch for a hangover.

I always found that drinking as much H20 as possible before bedding down, plus a few aspirin, usually makes a hangover a bit less unpleasant in the morning (or afternoon, depending on the retardation level achieved the night before). If it was a legendary night, sometimes ice pops and Gatorade seemed to help a bit more.

Best bet, as a few others have stated isssss... Don't get annihilated in the first place.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Your right Kaos.. You either like vegemite or you don't.. I was brought up on the stuff, and have it every morning on a bit of toast...

It makes you grow up big and strong and puts a rose in every cheeeeeeek...

Staple diet of the Australian Cricket team, The wallabies and the hockeyroos.

Chris

mrq

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
What does Vegemite taste like? (sorry, off topic...but always wanted to know what Vegemite tastes like !
)

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I found in my college life that if you have a mild hangover (not kissing john) then it can all be solved by just finishing what you started the night before - keep on knocking 'em back until that headache goes away.

On the other hand, if you have a horrible hangover, utilize those vomit-free seconds to light up, if that's your kinda bag...But if it's not one of those perfectly waistable days, then ignore my advice and purchase a prickly pear farm and hire a few scientists to extract some juicy juice.

My two cents are always free...

[edit on 29-6-2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I found that some of those pills work, for me anyway. I use RU-21. Apparently the Russians tried to make a pill so the KGB agents wouldn't get drunk. The closet they came was a pill that helped hangovers. Works wonders for me. Google for more info, it's legit. The KGB part, I mean.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Another good cure for a hangover, sleeping on the bathroom floor, the cool tiles make everything better.

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I found in my college life that if you have a mild hangover (not kissing john) then it can all be solved by just finishing what you started the night before - keep on knocking 'em back until that headache goes away.

Isn't that the point of becoming an alcoholic? Drinking in the morning to rid yourself of a hang over.

Originally posted by OzChris
Personally I believe that the best cure for a hangover is not to drink at all.. To excess that is.

And you call yourself Australian.
Wait, you're Australian, what way does the water in your toliets flush down there. . .?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I've heard rumors of drinking a shot of olive oil before you start drinking - I never was brave enough to try it out. Pepto "Abismal" always works okay too...if you can stomach the stuff.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
If this prickly pear stuff works, I can hardly wait! I have the worst hangovers, but I don't suffer nearly as much when I stick to Scotch on the rocks & nothing else., plus have a meal first to avoid nausea - & the more water I drink before, during & after, the less morning-after feeling.

Plus dissolving 2 Alka-Seltzer before bed & again in morning [lemon, not the original green death flavour] helps a lot. Vitamin B does squat for me, though others swear by it.

Vegemite's a yeast extract that contains various B complex vitamins. Salty-ish & you only need a little, very tasty!

But bring on that prickly pear elixir! [BTW, prickly pear's a noxious weed in Australia]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join