It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

""""I am 100% for the LHC. There is nothing sinister about it. It's science. In a worst case scenario, if an experiment went horribly wrong, the LHC and area it is in, would explode. It is far too small to make the entire planet explode. The scientists aren't stupid.
""""'
www.disinfo.com...
In the early morning hours of July 16, 1945, some of the greatest scientific minds of a generation gathered in the New Mexican desert to watch the results of their unprecedented, world-changing experiment: to build the most powerful weapon in the world. But when they pressed the button on their bomb, nicknamed “Gadget,” they weren’t quite sure what would happen.

The general consensus was that the bomb would yield energy equivalent to 5,000 tons of TNT (the actual result as it was finally calculated was 21,000 tons). Robert Oppenheimer, the director of the Manhattan Project, had bet ten dollars against scientist George Kistiakowsky’s wager, with his entire month’s pay, that the bomb would not work at all. Enrico Fermi offered a wager on “whether or not the bomb would ignite the atmosphere, and if so, whether it would merely destroy New Mexico or destroy the world.”

Seems they are stupid then, and as science teaches in the theory of evolution what happens now is the way it always happens.
edit on 8-11-2010 by ACTS 2:38 because: forgot

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by beebs
...Is fairly naive and generally false. Look at the Manhattan Project. While it didn't blow up the world, they didn't know exactly what it would do...

Incorrect.

They were fairly certain about self-sustaining fission process, and were able to calibrate their calculations to experimental data, good work there by Fermi and others. One part of the project was to create a bomb, and again they were able to implement a fairly sophisticated detonation mechanism by compression of plutonium. That just doesn't happen in a "what if" manner. These guys nailed it down cold.

I think he was talking about the part of the project where there were questions about possiblly igniting the atmosphere.

en.wikipedia.org...

Teller also raised the speculative possibility that an atomic bomb might "ignite" the atmosphere because of a hypothetical fusion reaction of nitrogen nuclei.[13] Bethe calculated that it could not happen.[14] However, a report co-authored by Teller showed that ignition of the atmosphere was not impossible, just unlikely.[15] In Serber's account, Oppenheimer mentioned it to Arthur Compton, who "didn't have enough sense to shut up about it. It somehow got into a document that went to Washington" which led to the question being "never laid to rest".

And here we have the same thinking of "not impossible" but "unlikely". Although...in the case of the LHC...I thought they said that only the creation of a mini black hole may be possible...not that it was possible for it to ever be sustained.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
wouldnt it be kinda freaky, if our own universe was in a supercollider somewhere...that something is watching our progress???

exactly proof of a creator.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm glad to know that we didn't get sucked into a man-made Black Hole, but I can't help but wonder if we've opened a portal.

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

All hail Cthulhu!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't care either way i'm just happy for THEM they got the damn thing working.. been a freaking year or so...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Didnt anyone else think that that firing a proton, or any matter so quickly would turn it from solid state into a light state, in that it was travelling so quickly, the proton would turn into a beam of light and thus not be able to "collide" with another proton?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
As long as man has a brain and a great adventurers need to know science will do stuff! So i am going to just assume it was meant to be, we could have been madeor came into being however you see it without the great curiosity that drives us or the intelligence to move forward with it all, nature seems to have checks and balances.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

more or a frequency than a big bang.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

They want to see how everything came into being, everything including us. I for one am glad people are doing this for discoveries in particle physics have the power to change the face of society. If they find the higgs boson everything from energy to material science will change.

As for the big bang I'm more interested in what happened before it went off.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If this thing produces a mini big bang, which in turn begins to engulf the planet and we all begin to implode on ourselves, how will the Ark of the Covenant react?

Who knows, it just might find itself getting turned back on, wherever it may be, to counter the effects of LHC.

In the end, God will intervene and save mankind from destruction.
Maybe that's why it was left behind in the first place.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

In the end, God will intervene and save mankind from destruction.

Do you mean god will save all of us here now or just let 1 man, 1 woman and 1 male/female animal from each specie on Earth live?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I guess whether you support the work being done at the LHC or not...it is still pretty cool stuff.

So they created this "mini big bang"...and look at that...we are all still here...aren't we?

I'm not sure how I feel about it...I like progress...but then again I don't like people messing with stuff they don't completely understand.

What are people's thoughts on this...for it...against it? Suprised it didn't blow us all up?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-11-2010 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

It may take some time for the singularity to become a full-blown black hole.

Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think it is really cool what science and technology is achieving these days but at the same time it is very scary to me.

When you get into stuff like that you are literally playing with fire. They can be careful as they want but what if some anomaly happened and they create a real "Big Bang" or something like that. I am sure this will lead to great discoveries down the road but at the same time I think we should be really careful with what we do. It might be for the benefit of man but on the other hand it could quite possibly be turned into something that is like no weapon that we have seen before. A real "Doomsday Machine" if you will.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
And everybody thought the world would end.

It did end but rebooted successfully.

You may have noticed a slight sense of deja vu for about 1 billionth of second.

Fortunately the universe uses Linux.

I am sure i have said this twice already.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
According to Michio Kaku to make it from a type ZERO civilization which we are now too a type 1 civilization this sort of experiment is necessary. That is despite possible dangers perhaps not with this particular one but with many others.

It is a fact that we can not just stand still, if we carry on the way we are for sure we are domed.

Therefore this is part of the way forward and indeed it could end is disaster.

However we just might make it to that type one the alternative is dome.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Scientists arn't mad, politicians are honest, psychiatrists know what they are doing and bankers deserve their bonuses!

Yeah right!

But humankind is a curious species and I think it's a safe bet that we will continue to be so. Anyway Eve started it by eating that apple.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
If we don't progress because of fear for our discoveries, we might as well return to a natural survival of the fittest lifestyle in the jungle. I never thought I would say this, as I am usually of the idea that our current state of society is just natural, not "evil" or "Good", but if we remain in our current state, it will only serve to deteriorate us. I picture humanity as a being that is firewalking. If we stop for too long we'll get burnt.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Maybe this is why its been so hot the past few days. It was finally cold today.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I like the way they put "mini big bang" in quotes because I think it was nothing like the big bang, not even a mini version, it's a high energy collision though and it's interesting for that reason.

It's like the big bang because the quarks and gluons are and not bonded in sub atomic particles.

It wouldn't surprise me if the LHC does create a mini-black hole, but scientists say the probabilities are if that happens it will be very short lived, less than a second. But the scientists I heard talking about it didn't use the word impossible, just so very improbable to get a longer lasting mini-black hole like the one in the video. I'm not to worried about it because there ate higher energy particles coming from space than we are generating in the LHC and they haven't destroyed the planet yet.

My opinion is that we need to learn how to create and use black holes to bend space for travel.
Particles with more energy that a plasma at over 10 trillion degrees are hitting the Earth? That doesn't sound right to me, I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hey, I'm very tired and have to work early in the AM. Was looking for an article I read over a year ago about the LHC & microscopic black holes "unlikely." Haven't found it yet, but found this from April 2009. Kinda freaky read. Can anybody verify legitimacy of source?

Link:

Th e Tech Herald

Here's a snippet...

CERN admits black hole ripped in space by Large Hadron Collider

A spokesperson for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) has confirmed the fears of many in the scientific world after revealing that the reason for the sudden closure of the Large Hadron Collider, the world's most expensive physics experiment, was not due to "technical problems" as previously stated, but because its controversial particle collisions have sensationally rendered a "tiny black hole" in the fabric of space. "I can confirm that, yes, the first stages of the experiment resulted in the appearance of a miniscule black hole," said the spokesperson to gathered reporters on Monday. "The black hole is being kept under quarantine and our scientists have been monitoring its progression," he explained.

edit on 11/8/2010 by new_here because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join