It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Death the End? Experiments Suggest You Create Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

At each moment we're at the edge of a paradox described by the Greek philosopher Zeno. Because an object can't occupy two places simultaneously, he contended that an arrow is only at one place during any given instant of its flight. To be in one place, however, is to be at rest. The arrow must therefore be at rest at every instant of its flight. Thus, motion is impossible. But is this really a paradox? Or rather, is it proof that time (motion) isn't a feature of the outer, spatial world, but rather a conception of thought?

An experiment published in 1990 suggests that Zeno was right. In
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting. I'm going to stare at a pot of heating water tonight

Could this be why some people survive if they are injured beyone normal survivability standands? Part of the end result of not accepting death, not giving up and "watching" yourself so your body does not activley change somehow?

Tangible benefits of possitive thinking?

For both pessimist and optimists: Truth to self fulfilling prophecies?

To me there are a lot of cool questions that spark up from this.

Now the next question: Does a bear S*** in the woods?

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
How come we never hear about a negative thinker surviving?

Self fulfilling prophecies do not exist, for me anyway.

edit on 11/8/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc858

You should do your own test. Stand at the stove with a stop watch....have two identical pots filled with the same amount and temp water...then, put a pot on and just listen for the boil while at the stove. Then, stare at the next pot and see if they took the same amount of time to boil

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc858

You have to mentally create higher dimensions beyond time in your mind to get past the dead end of time. Once you conceive of time as a spatial object, you see it for what it is, and you're not stuck on a little point on the entirety of the object. Think about the fifth dimension and you'll start to feel less trapped in your concept of time (effectively considered the fourth dimension.)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Philosophy 101, I'm pretty sure every starting student of philosophy gets his or her mind blown by Zeno, then eventually decides it was all intellectual BS. Now fire up a bowl and discuss Zeno's 'Paradox of Motion'...

We know time passes, it's not just a matter of perception. Maybe what we lack is the adequate language skills or mental capacity to rectify what we see as paradoxes.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How come a negative thinker surviving a crash or something is never used as evidence that positive thinking does not exist.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Time ends up in every equation. It rules the world. If individuals could control it we would see super fast people zipping around, but we don't.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I can control time or rather see it well enough to do things within in it that would only be possible if I saw beyond my 3-dimensional boundaries in the present moment. I rotate objects of time in my mind and select the one that looks most interesting and watch it play out.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This post exists because you want it to.
edit on 8-11-2010 by subby because: quantum typo

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc858

www.huffingtonpost.com

At each moment we're at the edge of a paradox described by the Greek philosopher Zeno. Because an object can't occupy two places simultaneously, he contended that an arrow is only at one place during any given instant of its flight. To be in one place, however, is to be at rest. The arrow must therefore be at rest at every instant of its flight. Thus, motion is impossible. But is this really a paradox? Or rather, is it proof that time (motion) isn't a feature of the outer, spatial world, but rather a conception of thought?

An experiment published in 1990 suggests that Zeno was right. In

This paradax maybe solved now as science talks about 'quanta' or indivisible units of space, time and energy so the arrow can only occupy very definite locations during its flights and in effect 'jumps' from one state to the next. Each 'jump' or state it is able to occupy is harmonically linked to its previous state.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I believe it is possible that time is a construct of the mind.

It is an interesting concept, if you try to think about it. I say try, because I don't believe that we can conceive it properly with our minds.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc858

This is pretty interesting. I'm going to stare at a pot of heating water tonight

Could this be why some people survive if they are injured beyone normal survivability standands? Part of the end result of not accepting death, not giving up and "watching" yourself so your body does not activley change somehow?

Tangible benefits of possitive thinking?

For both pessimist and optimists: Truth to self fulfilling prophecies?

To me there are a lot of cool questions that spark up from this.

Now the next question: Does a bear S*** in the woods?

www.huffingtonpost.com

I imagine the best way to describe time/ reality is by watching your TV. There's a refresh rate you need to pay attention too. Matter or compressed energy is simply that... A refresh rate for assembly around zero points.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmolidity
reply to post by earthdude

I can control time or rather see it well enough to do things within in it that would only be possible if I saw beyond my 3-dimensional boundaries in the present moment. I rotate objects of time in my mind and select the one that looks most interesting and watch it play out.

Wtf?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Its true.

Everything we have ever been, ... or will be, .... already exists.

Think about that, let it soak in.

You are still reading that article, you are still sitting at your computer browsing threads, you are still a child, you are dying, ...... somewhere.

nothing is lost in time, we ARE time.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Its true.

Everything we have ever been, ... or will be, .... already exists.

Think about that, let it soak in.

You are still reading that article, you are still sitting at your computer browsing threads, you are still a child, you are dying, ...... somewhere.

nothing is lost in time, we ARE time.

Are you sure ?

TBQH if i were to guess i'd say nothing happens until it is measured and only potential exists at all points in time and space. If that could be true then even the big bang hasnt happened yet cos its not been measured.

You could still have a multiverse of potential however, its just the 'manifested as real' bit that may be a bit premature

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
There was undoubtedly a time before observers existed. Since observers arose from a universe without observers, something must have been happening in the pre-observer universe, without anyone there to see it. Whatever lead to observers went on without observers there to "make" the time pass.

Conceptualizing time as a collection of infinitely small descrete frames is fine, but in that case you have to include the concept of momentum in your model. Momentum is the set of features of the system at any given instant that describe the change in three dimensional space that will occur between this instant and the next. These features of momentum only manifest as the change between instants, and are not evident in any individual instant.

I don't believe that we are capable of a very accurate concept of time. I think of the entire universe from start to finish as a geometrical object. Our awareness seems to be passing through this object, and this motion is what we perceive as time. Somehow, our brains are responsible for this awareness and its passage throught time. The details of this state of affairs are difficult to imagine. The idea that anything that is not aware could be arranged in such a way that it gives rise to awareness strikes me as utterly absurd, yet it seems to be an undeniable fact. Perhaps the seemingly unaware building blocks (atoms, molecules, cells, ect.) really do have a component of awareness that is too subtle to detect, and is only manifest when they are arranged in a very sophisticated way (as in the brain).

Interesting thread, thanks.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is sad that this even news.

At this point in human development, we should already know this in our inner space research. Unfortunately the means to explore the limits of oneself are deemed as taboo or illegal, so now scientists must conduct experiments to tell people what they should already know? I feel pity for the majority of humans who have been conditioned into believing exploring their own mind or existence is wrong. Ever heard of enlightenment? You don't get it when some scientist does your thinking for you.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
this proves a point of death not being the end, how? -.-

I was expecting something more than an arrow to prove a point which wasnt even proved.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Exactly.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join