It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Death the End? Experiments Suggest You Create Time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Yeah, I discovered it recently because before I was letting it unfold but now I realized there were other pathways. It's interesting to have things occur in an almost seemingly random way but fall into place in a way that seems beyond chance. Heaven rules.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Time doesn't pass, it's always now, isn't it?

There is no such thing as time except as a tool of creativity, in so far as at each moment we stand in relation to an as yet unborn realm of infinite possibility, that is the "future". He who controls the future controls the past, from the present, by creating novel forms.

It is only our classical mind, as a complex recording device that creates the illusion of time, and if it had its way, it would lock us into the past and into a state of being which is entirely machine-like and robotic since it can operate only on the basis of conditioned reaction/response modalities and is therefore incapable of producing novelty.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

its true, i did it when more younger. The watched pot take more time to boil, a pretty more time let me say

Some how the statement is true, there is not time and space without consciousness, its a thing of quantum physics but we're in diapers yet to understand or explain it, we are just scratching the surface.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

It could only have been a probability wave unless it was being upheld or collapsed by an omniscient observer ie: God.

And when dinosaurs roamed the earth, this moment was imbedded or enfolded in that one. It's always now. There is no such thing as time, imho.
edit on 8-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
There was undoubtedly a time before observers existed. Since observers arose from a universe without observers, something must have been happening in the pre-observer universe, without anyone there to see it. Whatever lead to observers went on without observers there to "make" the time pass.

Conceptualizing time as a collection of infinitely small descrete frames is fine, but in that case you have to include the concept of momentum in your model. Momentum is the set of features of the system at any given instant that describe the change in three dimensional space that will occur between this instant and the next. These features of momentum only manifest as the change between instants, and are not evident in any individual instant.

I don't believe that we are capable of a very accurate concept of time. I think of the entire universe from start to finish as a geometrical object. Our awareness seems to be passing through this object, and this motion is what we perceive as time. Somehow, our brains are responsible for this awareness and its passage throught time. The details of this state of affairs are difficult to imagine. The idea that anything that is not aware could be arranged in such a way that it gives rise to awareness strikes me as utterly absurd, yet it seems to be an undeniable fact. Perhaps the seemingly unaware building blocks (atoms, molecules, cells, ect.) really do have a component of awareness that is too subtle to detect, and is only manifest when they are arranged in a very sophisticated way (as in the brain).

Interesting thread, thanks.

Magnetic Current = Vortex, Spin = Momentum, Kinetic Energy = Consciousness, Platonic Solids = 3 Dimensional Space, Time = Constant Frames

You're dead on... Just update your terminology.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

well it's like saying that space doesn't exist, it's there but i guess you can shrink away from acknowledging it but the more you understand higher dimensions beyond time the easier it is to see its functions. and yes, it is always now, but if you can understand what happens after now then you can predict the future, which is pretty useful.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

There is no such thing as time except as a tool of creativity, in so far as at each moment we stand in relation to an as yet unborn realm of infinite possibility, that is the "future". He who controls the future controls the past, from the present, by creating novel forms.

It is only our classical mind, as a complex recording device that creates the illusion of time, and if it had its way, it would lock us into the past and into a state of being which is entirely machine-like and robotic since it can operate only on the basis of conditioned reaction/response modalities and is therefore incapable of producing novelty.

The mind responding to a system of cycles creates linear time... Fortunately, we're not bound to this. It was apparently easier to digest is my only guess. We have become drones as a result when our real function is to evolve as creators/ programmers on a massive scale.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
just like a 90 mph fastball looks like a blur to an average person, a major leauge hitter, especially a great one is so focused that to him he has an eternity to hit it.

this ability is in all of us, that you can be so focused that you can almost dodge bullets.

and when you can do it at will it is so amazing and the things you can accomplish and do will seem multiplied. 10 minutes will seem like hours.
edit on 8-11-2010 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
just like a 90 mph fastball looks like a blur to an average person, a major leauge hitter, especially a great one is so focused that to him he has an eternity to hit it.

this ability is in all of us, that you can be so focused that you can almost dodge bullets.

and when you can do it at will it is so amazing and the things you can accomplish and do will seem multiplied. 10 minutes will seem like hours.

I've used a baseball as an example in the past... Consider you're able to observe the pitch from myriad perspectives. As fans in the stadium, the pitcher on the mound, the ump, the catcher, the hitter, the infield, and the outfield. That's exactly how we should function as a whole.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

That sounds interesting. I tried to change my perception of time before, but I never did it. I think it was the clock at the side that is doing it, I keep looking at it.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I've watched water boil from start to finish.. and it boiled. My eyes never left the water in the pot. But maybe it's due to me being hungry and wanting it to boil?

Good read though, thanks for sharing it.

I like this part:

In a 2007 study published in Science, scientists shot particles into an apparatus and showed that they could retroactively change whether the particles behaved as photons or waves. The particles had to "decide" what to do when they passed a fork in the apparatus. Later on, the experimenter could flip a switch. It turns out what the observer decided at that point determined how the particle had behaved at the fork in the past. Thus the knowledge in our mind can determine how particles behave.

edit on 9-11-2010 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

I have always had the mindset that time is just an illusion and used for measurement.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmolidity

We can only predict the future if we can create something new.

But I realize what you're saying, about space, how space implies time.

Bottom line, to be perfectly honest, I don't have a clue, other than that we do not understand either space or time, there is something more than relativity, some sort of eternal everywhere now, it's not all relative, there MUST be a unitive frame of reference, which by its very nature would be timeless and spaceless, transcending space and time.

And the only things truly worthwhile, even those that went before can only arise from the future through the eternally unfolding present moment, and so it is to the future we must look from the present, and there in the space and time of nothing create something, and in so doing make of time, our own tool, that is, if we do live in some sort of eternity, and are capable of recognizing our eternal nature. Then time (and space) would bow to us, and not the other way around.

Context and framing is everything I guess is what I'm saying and the present framework or paradigm MUST be faulty, this notion of an arrow of time. I am absolutely certain that's illusory and that we need to start thinking about time differently, as if the present moment is like a crest on a wave of an ocean of infinity, instead of mere past, present, and future.

Although hard to prove, causally, I also think that a lot of these misconceptions are the very root cause of the evils in our world, like world wars and the like, as if history can be somehow dominated by projecting into the future, from the past. There's an error in there somewhere, a fatal flaw I can't quite put my finger on right at the moment.
edit on 9-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
There was undoubtedly a time before observers existed. Since observers arose from a universe without observers, something must have been happening in the pre-observer universe, without anyone there to see it. Whatever lead to observers went on without observers there to "make" the time pass.

Unless 'observation' was the original 'state' of things. for example, we know conciousness exists so it is reasonable fair to assume that it could exist at any point (although maybe not as we know it now).

I dont think its too much of a stretch to imagine an original state of existence that replaces the 'energy' (however you would want to imagine the original energy potential that has always been) with 'concious potential' which gives us an eternal form of bringing structure into being.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Probably, because when a negative thinker/pessimist is in a crash they change to a positive person in that situation. When it comes down to one's own survival and life a negative person will think positive thoughts in hopes that they will continue on in life. Then if they survive they will either continue to be their old negative/pessimistic way or change to positive. Either way though that is why you probably do not hear about it or hear it proving positive thinking wrong, because when it comes down to their own life's, in that moment they will change in to positive people, even if it's just for that moment.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc858

Is Death the end? Strictly speaking no, simply because there is no end.

This statement can't be scientifically proven, it can only be understood intuitively through meditation.

When one comes to an understanding of one's self and one's existence in meditation, the matter of time will no longer be a concern.

I'd love to do a little more detailed post on the relationship between time and space, and the relation between you/me/him/she/we/us and the time space continuum, however, I find myself out of time, and too far from the mark to do so. I will try to 'make' 'time' 'latter' so as to be occupying the 'space' in front of my laptop at the appropriate 'time' when I am supposed to be doing a detailed post on Space/time. If only I could figure out the when (I pretty much know the where), my life wouldn't be so hectic.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

How come we never hear about the negative thinkers surviving????? Most likely because the negative thinkers we're thinking negatively about their survival which negatively affected their surviving what ever needed surviving.

We hear about positive thinkers and positive thinking because in the end positiveness begets positive results.

Sorry if I come off sounding sarcastic or whatever, I just couldn't resist.

Sorry, ciao.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I made time slow down, I've even stepped out of the timeline, i got stuck and couldn't get back. Those dam mushrooms!!! I had way too many and can still feel the fear I felt desperatley trying to make it all go away.

Seriously though, if the article is saying we as the observer creates time then what happens to things in the universe that we haven't observed? The big bang couldn't of happened as no-one was there to observe it. Yet it did happen and through time the matter that makes up our galaxy ended up where we are today.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I've been thinking and thinking about this. If all objects are really always at rest, and motion is an illusion, then what about the energy that causes objects to move? If the arrow shot from a bow is always at rest, then what about the energy used to shoot the arrow? Is energy then an illusion as well? If we could wrap our heads around that, would we need energy at all? Would we need to eat or use fuel at all? If we are always at rest from second to second, then we wouldn't need energy. Maybe if we could see past the illusion, we could simply use our minds to move matter or move ourselves through space.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
AMAZING!!I just thought of this as I was reading these posts..I never took philosophy in college but I did major in biology so sorry if you dont like the analogies. Time exists as a direct factor of the speed of our thoughts. If we think our thoughts twice as fast in a 5 minute period..then that 5 minutes will become 10 minutes to our conscious mind. If we slow it back down to thoughts at the rate of 5 minute rate of thoughts then time will slow back down. The watched pot takes longer to boil bc we are affirming that it hasnt boiled yet to ourselves at a faster rate in our mind. So what if in fact our conscious is a small part of a bigger conscious that thinks much faster relatively. In the way a cell performs much more faster rate of metabolism than the greater human body as a whole.. it dies quickly b/c it is slower "thinking" but fast acting and then is replaced by a new cell easily b/c the entire DNA as a whole is still alive at the greater level. What if we die easily and quickly like that cell relatively to the greater consciousness which holds our souls DNA and which thinks as well as lives MUCH more "quickly" so therefore much much longer than our current self does. Just an idea.. I've always pondered about the idea that our universe is like a cell and humans like protons and neutrons. I even saw a post relating to this idea once on here.
edit on 3-12-2010 by MedGuyBeliever because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join