It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adam Carolla: Men Becoming Chicks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I used to listen to "Loveline" With Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew back in the 90's while doing security patrol late at night. I've always liked Adam Carollas' raunchy sense of humor on today's social issues that mostly revolved around physical problems and/or concerns relating to ruthless sexual activity in teens and others. I found it to be pretty damn funny and entertaining back then, but today he brings up a good point on CNN. Basically, it's about how men are becoming chicks and chicks are becoming dudes. There seems to be a gap that is sealing between the two genders, pointing to the fact that we may not encourage a *difference* between genders in the near future.

I'm not implying that individuals shouldn't have the right to choose whatever sexual preference they want, that is none of my business. What I am implying however, is that this *neutral-gender* phenomenon should not be *forced* on our children. Do we really want a world where everyone is so PC that we cannot even express the true and perfectly normal and natural differences between the genders? Carolla brings up some good points about nature, why mess with it? Have a look at this video, whether said in good humor or not, he raises some good points.

www.cnn.com...#/video/bestoftv/2010/11/05/ps.adam.carolla.int.cnn?hpt=T2

Edit: I can't get the link to work.

But if you go to CNN.com on the front page look for "# Adam Carolla: Men becoming chicks"
edit on 7-11-2010 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Really? Another "I don't understand this, and I don't want my children understanding it either!" Thread?

...Bogus.

Nobody is trying to convince your son to act like a girl, and I suggest you don't *FORCE* him to overexert his masculinity in defense against it.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
Really? Another "I don't understand this, and I don't want my children understanding it either!" Thread?

I don't understand what??? I understand it perfectly. I understand that if one believes that both genders shouldn't be considered the SAME thing, we get people like you who decide to take offense.

Nobody is trying to convince your son to act like a girl, and I suggest you don't *FORCE* him to overexert his masculinity in defense against it.

Fair enough, but many make it sound like masculinity is a crime or a "bad thing" these days. It just so happens to be a part of nature, why would he be masculine in "defense" of those people who think little boys should be more feminine?
I would hope he could be himself without the BS sterotypes. If a parent teaches their son that being masculine is something to be ashamed of, then I'm sorry but that IS forcing our children to follow in a path they may not be comfortable with.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
No comment, as I'm watching the video now.
Just popped in to provide a working link.

David Grouchy

cnn video

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The video tried to force me to be a subject of an advertisement, so I did not watch it, and closed it out.

But I will say this: I am an advocate of gender-roles. Call me old fashioned, I don't care. There's just something natural and intuitive about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yeah it starts with a level 3 subliminal commercial,
so I think your instinct to back out was fair.

The video left me with the impression
that CNN is hungry to get a little
of the magic off of this guy.

It's a smiles and
chuckles piece.

:|
David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
First, can I ask what exactly you mean by "masculine"? Masculine just means having "male" traits. I noticed Carolla gave an example of women having abs and men staying home. Clearly he thinks women should stay home and men should be strong. I'm thinking he might be talking more about machismo.

First, I don't think the gap is sealing because of transgendered individuals. Most 'men who become chicks' have an almost exaggerated femininity. It's not like they become neuter or closer to a center. They go across the line and as far to female as they can.

About the gap sealing, there was a time when men needed to be more aggressive, strong, virile and powerful to do their job of hunting and providing for the family. I think man is evolving to lose some of the more "macho" traits. In the past, women appreciated machismo because it meant a good provider and a loyal father for the kids, but nowadays, exaggerated masculinity doesn't serve a purpose in the scheme of procreation. It's not a BAD thing, but intelligence, sense of humor, kindness and compassion are traits we see more of and value more in men these days, because they mean a good provider and a loyal father for the kids.
Times have changed.

I don't think the *neuter-gender* phenomenon is being forced on our children, I think it's a social and evolutionary step that we're creating out of necessity.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
First, can I ask what exactly you mean by "masculine"? Masculine just means having "male" traits. I noticed Carolla gave an example of women having abs and men staying home. Clearly he thinks women should stay home and men should be strong. I'm thinking he might be talking more about machismo.

That's a good question. What I mean by manipulating (to change the male traits) "masculinity" into society these days (as one example) is say the "soccer moms". They get to dictate things like "oh we're all winners, theres no losers in life!" To their children and thats OK with society. But There ARE losers. If we keep feeding our boys to not care about winning, then what does that say about their human nature? Boys are competitive, that's the way it is. Boys get hurt, they LEARN from it. That's life, you know? Could we imagine a world where in the NFL those teams are ALL WINNERS!!?? lol that would be a mess. I would hate football. The NFL would stop airing games. There would be mass protests. (I hope lol)

I'm not saying I think all women should stay and home "barefoot in the kitchen". I think women should have the right to do that though without ridicule, I mean lets be real. Women naturally want to take care of the home, am I wrong? I'm not saying they aren't smart enough or not capable to work..but common some women WANT that home life.

First, I don't think the gap is sealing because of transgendered individuals. Most 'men who become chicks' have an almost exaggerated femininity. It's not like they become neuter or closer to a center. They go across the line and as far to female as they can.

I agree. But there is no issue with how far they can go with their "feminism" so why should it matter how far a straight non cross-dresser guy goes? Is it really that bad?

About the gap sealing, there was a time when men needed to be more aggressive, strong, virile and powerful to do their job of hunting and providing for the family. I think man is evolving to lose some of the more "macho" traits. In the past, women appreciated machismo because it meant a good provider and a loyal father for the kids, but nowadays, exaggerated masculinity doesn't serve a purpose in the scheme of procreation. It's not a BAD thing, but intelligence, sense of humor, kindness and compassion are traits we see more of and value more in men these days, because they mean a good provider and a loyal father for the kids.
Times have changed.

I don't think the *neuter-gender* phenomenon is being forced on our children, I think it's a social and evolutionary step that we're creating out of necessity.

I guess that's where thinking there should be a difference in gender is now "old fashioned". God, I'm only 33, now I feel WAY older than I am.

I think you're wrong about times changing being an excuse. What happens if the proverbial S does hit the F? I guess the world could do without REAL testosterone. I *really* think there are a LOT of people who believe this, sadly. To each their own!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
That's a good question. What I mean by manipulating (to change the male traits) "masculinity" into society these days (as one example) is say the "soccer moms". society.

I see. Yeah, I don't like that, either. Parents should be teaching their kids how to deal with the negative things in life (like losing) as well as the positive. But I don't think this is exclusive to boys at all. I was (and am) a VERY competitive female.
Many females are competitive.

Could we imagine a world where in the NFL those teams are ALL WINNERS!!?? lol that would be a mess. I would hate football. The NFL would stop airing games.

You're talking to the wrong person! If sports took a back seat to education, I'd be in heaven! LOL I really hate sports. But I do see what you mean.

I think women should have the right to do that though without ridicule,

Why should they be exempt from ridicule? Isn't that the same thing as trying to protect boys from "losing"? We can take the ridicule. We have to deal with it. It's OK. We can handle it.

I mean lets be real. Women naturally want to take care of the home, am I wrong?

SOME women want to take care of the home. Some genuinely want to be high-powered executives. That's what having choice is all about. ERA and all that.
But ALL people get ridiculed for one reason or another. And we should be taught as children how to deal with ridicule, losing, insults, and other negative experiences... because life is full of them for boys AND girls.

I agree. But there is no issue with how far they can go with their "feminism" so why should it matter how far a straight non cross-dresser guy goes? Is it really that bad?

Like I said before, it's not BAD, it's just not as desirable as intelligence and compassion for the proliferation of the species in modern times. And in my opinion, men should stop complaining that people don't always approve of their exaggerated masculinity. They should be confident in who they are and deal with the criticism as one of those "negative experiences" in life.

I think you're wrong about times changing being an excuse. What happens if the proverbial S does hit the F? I guess the world could do without REAL testosterone.

If the SHTF, there's plenty of testosterone AND intelligence to insure that the species would survive. Globally, the SHTF would be a means of a population decrease. And it would work. I'm not saying there should be NO masculinity. You're taking it to extremes. Plenty of women I know are "masculine" enough to hold their on in a post apocalyptic situation, so I don't see a danger in men becoming more sensitive and less "macho".

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think it's just a trend that some men decide to be metrosexual, and in touch with their ''feminine side''. The main problem with this, is that they won't have as much success with women.

It's not politically correct, but the fact of the matter is that women go for manly men, and men go for girly girls.

As attracting a mate is a very powerful urge in nature, it won't be too long before the natural order rights itself, and men start behaving in a more masculine manner and women in a more feminine way, as it's in their own advantage to do so.

Personally speaking, I don't mind metrosexuals, as it means there's less competition for us ''real men''...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
To be honest, I think TPTB are purposely trying to wussify the masses. Won't be much of an uprising if the youth are cowards will there? People are taught, falsely I will add that the police are there to protect us. We don't need to learn to defend ourselves, it is wrong to fight, talk it out etc etc. People that teach their children to fight, and god forbid to handle fire arms are demonized. I am glad for my good old country boy upbringing, I was taught first how to handle and take care of a red rider BB gun. Then when I proved I was responsible enough, A pump BB gun. Then a break barrel pellet gun. I got my first 22 rifle when I was 12, it was mine, and my responsibility.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
It's not politically correct, but the fact of the matter is that women go for manly men, and men go for girly girls.

It's not politically correct, and it's not correct at all. It's a HUGE generalization. I just love how people apply their opinions to an entire population. I happen to dislike what is generally termed as "manly men". Lots of women do. And I'm certainly not the most feminine women in the world. I'm attracted to confident, sensitive and intelligent men. To me, a "real man" is one who is strong enough in his manhood that he doesn't have to look like he's on a growth hormone or make a bunch of noise to exaggerate his "maleness". Those guys turn me OFF.

Ten Ways to be a More Manly Man

1. Confidence
2. Sense of Humor
3. Showering/Smell

4. Exercise - Girls generally think guys that work out, up to a point, are more masculine. Running and swimming usually doesn't cut it (sorry Michael Phelps), but this is a category that girls generally don't give to big of a hoot about. Some girls liked a ripped upper body and others don't so you're best bet really is to just be yourself and do occasional exercise. Confidence can make up for this area in leaps and bounds sometimes.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Like I said before, it's not BAD, it's just not as desirable as intelligence and compassion for the proliferation of the species in modern times.

If the SHTF, there's plenty of testosterone AND intelligence to insure that the species would survive.

I hope you're not suggesting that testosterone and intelligence are somehow at odds... if any hormone renders reason helpless it's got to be ESTROGEN.

: )

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

No, I am not suggesting that at all. If that's what I had meant, that is what I would have said.
And yes, I agree with you about estrogen. Having experienced what estrogen does to a person first hand, I totally agree.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Time to throw some science into this. Men, watch your soy intake. Tough to do these days because soy is everywhere. It has it positives in low doses but stay away from massive consumption. No more edamame for me.

Very enlightening article.
Soy's Negative Health Effects in Men. (Estrogen linked)

It's a soy conspiracy to man down men. Just look in your dairy case the next time you're at the store. Countless varieties of Soy milk etc. Some of this stuff, chocolate Silk, is like drinking a milk shake... Stay away from it or reduce your intake.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

It's not politically correct, and it's not correct at all. It's a HUGE generalization. I just love how people apply their opinions to an entire population. I happen to dislike what is generally termed as "manly men". Lots of women do.

It's a generalisation, but it's also largely correct.

My personal opinion is based on objective analysis and logic.

You say that you don't generally like ''manly men'', but I'm sure that you do. It's just that their ''manliness'' manifests itself in different ways to the uber-macho types that you probably think that I'm referring to.

A woman doesn't need to find Sylvester Stallone's Rambo a turn on, to find ''manly men'' attractive.

And I'm certainly not the most feminine women in the world. I'm attracted to confident, sensitive and intelligent men.

Confidence is probably the most important trait of an ''man's man'', so you're just reinforcing my point.

Being a ''real man'' isn't mutually incompatible with intelligence.

I think you're associating these terms with stereotypical ''he-man'' types. ie. brawn over brains; rather than a combination of the two.

To me, a "real man" is one who is strong enough in his manhood that he doesn't have to look like he's on a growth hormone or make a bunch of noise to exaggerate his "maleness". Those guys turn me OFF.

Again, if the definition of a manly, masculine, or ''real'' man was a body-building steroid-monkey, then you'd be correct.

However, most of these men aren't the correct definition of a ''real man''.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Who forces kids into gender neutral roles?? The comedian is having an easy laugh on CNN probably on the end part of a heavy show. The whole OP seems like a straw man arguement to me.

I don't think that anyone can force a kid into a gender role they hate. C'mon we were all kids at one time!

Relax

BTW I own a 7in Pearl snare with Remo pinstrip heads. Remember you are the beat and we were the bad boys not girs!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
well... the illuminati or freemasons, love androgyny. they believe in unifying the feminine and masculine to ultimately be able to reproduce asexually.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Give me a break, Sherlock.

"This is how you think because I said so."

For the record, testosterone is not what creates confidence. I don't know what confidence has to do with being a man at all.

Also, saying that men are more prone to being competitive is a blatant lie pulled from thin air. The top 10 most competitive people I know are women...
edit on 8-11-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The seeds of the whole thing are in the 60's. Womens lib works better if the gummint and media "sensative up" all the males. Makes them more pliable. Then it got in the schools. Unisex sports teams, no keeping score and title nine. That's where we pretend womens field hockey is as important as football. Next thing you know, we've got sensative 90's guy who listens to Kenny G and just loves white zin. He gets in touch with his femenine side and wonders why his chick left. Then comes the new millenia. Hey, not only can we be one sex, we can all be the same color! Let's pretend we're all alike in every way, even though we aren't.
Now that's the height of conceit. Thinking we're so trendy and smart we can control human nature. So go figure, the divorce rate goes up, the NFL outlaws using the good football helmet god gave you to knock the hell out of that just a little bit too slow QB and these poor kids have a hell of a time which ones mom and which ones dad. They're confusamated.
So to my fellow men, grow a pair. Give that prius to your sister and by a Mustang GT. Tell that chick at the bar that if she's all that and a bag of beef jerky, capable and what all, then she won't have any trouble buying her own damn drink. And next time your girlfriend wants you to go to couples counseling, buy her a box of kleenex and tell her your going to the gun range.
Even better, observe as I don't care about all the angry girls who are "outraged" at my "masogony". And know that Barbara Benton and Raquel Welch wouldn't be arguing the point, so when you see the long line of forth coming angry female posts, think Rosie Odonnell or Rose Ann Barr. Come get me.,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join