It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
For those who are upset about my using "Skeptics" in the title of this thread:

As some have already pointed out, if you agree with the premise of a thread you're not going to be rude unless you are a very, very strange person.

If you think the use of "Skeptics" in the title is a label for the segment of ATS' membership that is Skeptical of the UFO phenom you've completely missed the boat. You're using linear thinking in a 3-D environment. Lots of "Believers" can be skeptical as well. It's ALL about being CIVIL in your disagreement with whatever is posted.

I'll make it even more simple...
If you can't be civil, you can't post here, I don't care WHAT "side of the fence" you're on.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

However, the day something weird happens to them, they will be round to you to talk about it and they will be fearful you might want to rub it in their faces. I would hope and suspect strongly you will be as open minded then as you are now or we merely become that we claim we abhor.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Springer.... look, i hate to say this.... however... that Avatar pic..Simon Cowell....???

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
reply to post by Seventytwo

I never inferred it was your intention to insult someone. I stated it could be a cultural difference.

If you feel like apologising I'd recommend a U2U to the person who could have felt insulted to that affect.

Again I'm not against you or anyone here. We each have a different way of stating our cases and sometimes certain people may take offense at that without us trying to offend them.

I think looking at the cultural differences and accepting them is a much better way to allow us all to believe what we believe and communicate in a fashion which shows the wonderful complex layers of each of our identities.

Thanks for the reply!

-m0r

Thanks for the advice

Yes people should be more tolerant of cultural differences, that's a good way to be.

Ideological differences also.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

The avatar is me.

S...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, I think there are parts of this forum that needs even more protection than the UFO section.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

When you allow members to continually start insignificant threads just to get their numbers of threads started up and others responding just to get their numbers up,expect members to act like they are.

Why would someone want to do that?

I'm relatively new here, but the above seems totally pointless to me. Is there some "prize" or something for number of posts or scores or whatever the heck is getting measured and shown in our mini-profiles?

There are still some things about ATS that are a little mystifying to me...

I've seen some posts from members that have a large post count and they seem credible and informative. I've also seen some posts from members that have large post counts that frankly are, um...well...kinda bizarre in my opinion.

So I've learned in my short time here that post count is not an infallible indicator of anything other than the fact that the member is prolific.

We all pick our own poison here, and one member's bizarre is another member's truth.

In any event, I hope that my posts are judged primarily by their content and quality, and whether or not they add anything to the discussion at hand.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I haven't personally seen *too much* of the bad behavior, luckily. I really enjoy this site and the interaction of thoughts. I suppose there have been a few bullies, now that I think of it. SO SHUT UP!! LOL --- Just kidding. I do think that it is important to have civility and positive expression of ideas. So, OP, thanks for the reminder for all of us to be kinder to each other.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This is the INTERNET, NOT the University of Logic.

Get it?

University of Logic?

On Vulcan?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Civility costs nothing.

'Nuff said.

- Phoenix

And now for something cute:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

Hi P_Z,

Just curious - re: your signature line:

7 13 19 23 31 79 97 103 109 139 167 193 239 263 293 313 331 367 379 383

What happened to 1,3 & 5?

Although they be but little, they are fierce...to torture a phrase, so to speak...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Primarily, they're not Happy enough to join the party

- Phoenix

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Springer - thank you for that clarification. I wanted to respond after reading just a couple of pages, but I am becoming one of those extremely rare people on this site who reads all of the responses before posting.

I don't believe anyone who has an issue with the OP is debating the "be civil to one another" part. It just appears to some of us skeptics that whenever we reply to a "proof of alien visitation" thread with skepticism, there is always the attack of how stupid we are for doubting or how "arrogant" we are for not believing there are aliens out there when, I believe, most of us do not doubt there are aliens "out there" - we just do not believe that they are visiting us and as of yet have seen no evidence that these lights and other out of focus videos are alien.

I can admit to being rude and condescending to some of the believers myself at times, but this is usually in response to being told how "stupid", "arrogant", "small minded/closed minded", and etc. that us "debunkers" and "disinfo agents" are. I believe that is what the debate in this thread is about.

"We" just want to see this applied to the faithful alien visitation believers as well as us skeptics.

For a change.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RICH-ENGLAND
reply to post by semperfortis

so why are the believers getting a free ride and allowed to call people troll, disinfo agent etc etc etc just because you disagree with a pic/vid, and why can they constantly make comments like, "wait for the skeptics to come in and claim it was a skydiver falling from venus into swamp gas while holding a chinese lantern?.

why are only the skeptical side getting the flak?

thanks

rich

With an avatar like that, how can you even wonder why your views don't receive special treatment?

The reason this is pointed more towards the debunkers is because they're the ones who generally like to engage in insults and condescending snide remarks. I personally have been offended multiple times by people who think they "know it all," and Im not even someone who claims to "know."

I dont appreciate that kind of childish behavior. Neither should you.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
10 pages.... It's a bit funny how a simple plee for more civility and respect for each others in posting almost starts a new war

Is it too much to ask that people really takes the time to thoroughly read the OP?

S&F, Springer

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What I find funny about some of the comments to this post is this. If this was not the site owner, you know there would be People stating "stop whining", "here at ATS you have to prove what you state", and the like statements.

I have seen this attitude all over the website. I have termed it the cult of narcissism. And these cult members also like to stalk People as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Originally posted by RICH-ENGLAND
reply to post by semperfortis

so why are the believers getting a free ride and allowed to call people troll, disinfo agent etc etc etc just because you disagree with a pic/vid, and why can they constantly make comments like, "wait for the skeptics to come in and claim it was a skydiver falling from venus into swamp gas while holding a chinese lantern?.

why are only the skeptical side getting the flak?

thanks

rich

With an avatar like that, how can you even wonder why your views don't receive special treatment?

The reason this is pointed more towards the debunkers is because they're the ones who generally like to engage in insults and condescending snide remarks. I personally have been offended multiple times by people who think they "know it all," and Im not even someone who claims to "know."

I dont appreciate that kind of childish behavior. Neither should you.

Childish behavior - such as mocking someones avatar?

You have personally made his point for him. We are perfectly fine with being civil and the unfortunate need to have it enforced. We just want it enforced on those of you who make mocking (and hypocritical) posts toward those of us who do not believe the same as you.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
"The personal attacks and insults are taking place on all forums that I've encountered by browsing. Continual name calling and tactics to bring down threads, by attacking the OP from every angle possible. Over in the "false flag, 3 days" thread, we have people crying for the OP to be banned for pete's sake, and for all flags to be removed, or the thread to be shut down. Shouldn't the moderators step in and tell them that THEY will decide what thread is shut down? I'm confused... "

Exactly!

I had one guy continually berate me to explain to him what my reasoning on my post was all about, because HE could not understand it. Mind you I did not fully follow the rules for posting, but Im still learning those things myself, they are quite long, and I dont spend all of my time online. I have a life to tend to. I explained what was going on, and that I did not have time for him. He responded that everyone has problems, and that basically this was no excuse. And then ended the conversation that I wont last very long at ATS.

You know, he is right, because I dont plan on spending much time any longer on ATS. This is the main reason why I have lurked for so long, without contributing. Its Peoples attitudes. I have lurked around this site for a while now. And I find many People are very closed minded. Arrogant. And anything but "above top secret", because the Mentality reminds me of MSM viewers, and most of the People I find in the real World as well.

I have 2 jobs. A wife. A Family. And losts of stress. I dont need anymore just to be a part of a community that I can find in the real World anytime by going down the street and talking to my neighbors and getting the same attitude from them. Hey, going with the neighbors is actually better, because at least I will be outside, communicating with People in Person, instead of sitting behind a keyboard, thinking Im the God of the all knowing keyboard commando brigade.
edit on 8-11-2010 by HermitShip because: clarification

edit on 8-11-2010 by HermitShip because: took out emotional response

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sorry everyone.....

Upon re-reading my post, I decided it was not going to contribute anything material to this discussion.

Therefore.....

In the interests of not inadvertently adding to the stresses & strains in this forum.....

I have removed my post.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 8-11-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Re-think

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Top of page 10 he does exactly that.

This entire thread is a call for civility from both sides of this issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join