It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storing gold in safe deposit box

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
This may be a lame question but I'd like some input. I am alarmed and worried about the future of the financial future and solvency of the US and the world in general. I never dreamed I would have to worry about the USA's future since we had so much history and bad examples to follow to learn what not to do. We now have a gov't so corrupt or stupid that they are giving away our financial future and if things don't change ASAP bank failures and the weakening greenback will happen.
This being said, I am trying to invest in some gold. Problem is where to store it. Is a Bank (or Credit Union) a safe place to store it? Any alternative ideas? Thanks folks.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Bury your gold in a remote area, or preferably on your own land, dont get spotted. safe
other options:
readynutrition.com...
Be carefull with your gold.

edit on 7-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: addition

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It's traditional to store it underneath a large X

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/326a4524e7ef.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If you have a house, just do a little jackhammering and welding. Weld a safe to the foundation of your house. Pick one that uses a combination plus key lock. It's not as difficult as some people might imagine, but this probably seems so because my paps is in construction and I've been around it my whole life.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I agree with the above posts! Burry it! I had a friend who had his house seized by the IRS. He had a swimming pool in the back he had let go bad (dirty swamp water looking) he put over $100,000 worth of silver coins in 5 gallon buckets in the bottom of the pool with ropes attached to it. After tthe IRS was done to the house; he was able to go back and pull it up and buy a new place to live.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The bank will steal it.

I agree with othrs, hide it.

Screw the banks.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Why would you chance storing your gold at a place beyond your immediate control? What if there actually is a bank holiday and you are not allowed to get to your gold?

I don't think the idea of a safe in your house is a bad one at all. However, it does provide the appearance of something worth getting to.

I have mine vacuum sealed in mylar bags in locations that seem downright crazy so my guess is most wouldn't bother looking there. It's a good idea to let two people you trust implicitly know where your stash is should something happen to you.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tellmethen

Since you asked..

So you invest a fair proportion of your 'wealth' in buying gold/silver/platinum before the 'expected' economy collapses, then what?

Even basic commodities will sky rocket and you find yourself unable to buy much with paper/coin money as it will be reletivily worthless.. Ah, but you have gold right!!.. What are you going to do? dig up your gold stash, chip bits of gold off your gold bars and use it to barter with? Guess who will be charging you an arm and a leg to trade with.. Thats right, the smart people that invested in buying everday commidities that everyone needs to survive a long term ecconomic collapse and who will see their initial investment grow many times faster than those who invested in gold.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
tell us if your stashing ingots, bullion... or coins... there's different ways of hiding
the asset in plain sight if the gold is in bullion form

there's other ways of disguising coins or else hiding them where one does not need to
dig up obvious holes in a yard, or go out collecting your assets in the dead of night...
both being opportunities for a villian to sneak a peek

btw, i've often rediscovered $50 & $100 bills i stashed in books, folding maps etc
i wouldn't trust my self to go 25 paces N of the live oak tree or some similar hiding place
more than a month span of time...

ever see that commercial with the dog trying to preserve his prized bone? the song
accompanying the poor dog is 'worry..worry...worry' as he tries various hiding places
and bank vaults to secure his prized bone...and finally get some restfull sleep!
that would be me, with a pouch of coins or whatever, wrapped in 'space blankets', mylar,
or whatever & burried somewhere on my old 3/4 acre homestead place

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
A suggestion :Goldmoney

safe, storage outside the US, pretty easy to access if you need to liquidate it.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I would cash it in now while the price is high and spend the money buying items that are useful for survival like solar ,wind power ,water storage,seeds,food,tools etc .Gold is heavy and it cannot be eaten .

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Don't keep itin the bank .
If there is an economic collapse ,...

the banks can legally seize anything and everything in safe deposit boxes

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freelancer

Since you asked..

So you invest a fair proportion of your 'wealth' in buying gold/silver/platinum before the 'expected' economy collapses, then what?

Spend the gold.

Invest the gold.

Did you even need to ask?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The reason you buy physical is to have it in your possession.. keep it that way .. if your worried about theft, put it in a safe that cant be removed from your property and or is hidden..

Other ideas are hiding it in plain sight.. secret cubby holes, bury it, wall cavities etc.. easy to do..

Just don't forget where you put it and also tell someone else you'd trust with your life.. wife , kids etc..

Banks are for paper and debt notes.. not physical wealth!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
As for what to do with it..

silver, gold etc. should be last on your list of "wealth" first food, basic meds, shelter and protection, then worry about monetary wealth.. Remember those goods like food, meds and protection can be used as means of exchange also.. wealth doesn't mean dollar value.

if you have not secured your safety with food stores and protection and shelter then spend your wealth on those first.. then worry about the wealth in metals or other forms.

And also don't forget the little things that make life nice vs bad.. simple things you enjoy.. many you probably dismiss or over look now.. for instance toilet paper.. way better than whatever you have available .. some of the simplest things can make a world of difference in a bad situation.

Even the simplest things like a the ability to listen to music you like in a bad situation can make bad, livable.. remember, that state of mind can make total difference on your thinking.. having a escape of some sort is something many people over look in preparing for a bad situation... it doesnt have to be massive . just that little bit that will put your mind at ease.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Put your gold in a safe deposit box.

Likely when TEOTWAWKI happens you likely will not be able to get it.

Being that i have many years experience working with high explosives i will be able to blow the vault and collect your gold for my own use.

In fact it will likely be fun to get your gold watching the vault blow and collecting.

but then what would i do with all the gold as i could not eat it and likely there will be many other things behind locked doors every where for me to collect to survive with.

Being able to open any locked door/vault may end up to be the greatest survival skill out there.

Just think of what the military keeps in secure facilities. weapons, ammo magazines, all types of material.
Maybe even a flying saucer or two. there is nothing that can not be opened if you have the right explosives.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

why buy gold and then put it in a bank?

thats totally ridiculous..if tshtf then the government will just tell the banks to hand it over to them..

buy it..get a safe..hide it..bury it...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

I like! I sort of do that too with some other things but didn't even realize it. I think now with your awakening of this section of my brain activated I will expand on my collections. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

Great reply, sound advice. Still reading.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

All great replies thus far. I have learned a lot from some great minds, Thanks all.

new topics

top topics

join