It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Welcome Back" pop-ups - Can I turn this off?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Based on the private messages I received regarding the new features as each was rolled out, this was the most well-received as I have (in my saved box) nearly 30 messages praising the new feature, and none complaining about it.

And those thirty people are important - without people like that, mental health professionals from around the world would be without work. Besides, it's the high proportion of unbalanced people that makes this forum so fantastic!

No other well-liked new feature received even half of those unsolicited "thank you" messages, and no other new feature received ZERO complaints via private messages to at roll-out.

Because we were being polite enough to assume it was blatantly obvious how annoying it was. It's not like there's a thread full of people pointing out how annoying it is... oh. Perhaps for balance I should post in the thread full of people saying how they love it... oh. Hmm.

It's a simple matter to click the [close] link and not see it again until you've not been on ATS for more than six hours.

If only that were true. Not all of us like to run browsers that allow websites so much control. I suppose the alternative would be use an unsecure browser - after all, "if you're innocent then you'll have nothing to hide" etc

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I can see how many members would like this feature and find it useful...i am in the PLEASE add a on/off button, as i too find it irritating.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
turn it off by default. it annoys me too. I think the annoyed have beat the 30 who love it. get rid of it please.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Come on Mods, start listening to this...we dinnae like it!

Give us the opportunity to choose to turn it off, please

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Is it true???? Did ATS turn off the popups? I didn't get it when I signed on this morning!!!

Anyone else?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

Not here, just got another popup.

Maybe they're slowly rolling it back, watching any potential backlash as they go?

That last bit was sarcasm by the way.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Right now it's hard coded to be on and activates after 6 hours. I think it would be nice if you could not only turn it on or off, but also define after how many hours you want it to trigger. For instance, maybe you would only want it to pop up if you havn't been on on ATS for 48 hours.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
Right now it's hard coded to be on and activates after 6 hours. I think it would be nice if you could not only turn it on or off, but also define after how many hours you want it to trigger. For instance, maybe you would only want it to pop up if you havn't been on on ATS for 48 hours.

Loving your idea - but I just want it off full stop. The information isnt accurate anyhow...I dont have nine friends!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It is still popping up for me too, twice. The other day it only did one pop up, and it still claims nine of my friends started threads.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It just popped up for me...when I signed in from work this morning there was no popup but now here at home it came back...kinda like herpes.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
An option to enable/disable would be great, or at minimum change the time setting to 24 hrs.

Theres enough websites with annoying popups, please dont let ATS become one of them.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
79 Flags now as of 06DEC102001EST. That is a little more than double the 30 original U2U's which was mentioned by SkepticOverlord. There are many php based forums that have different icons to show whether a post is new or not since your last login. oroborusforum is one of those. It would be easy to implement a feature such as that rather than the useless popup, which also gives me inaccurate information so it is not an isolated event. I have zero friends on this site (and don't do the friendslist thing anyway...even on the one work related facebook page I maintain) and I get the 9 friends message as well.

Sending in a U2U to complain or praise this is really nothing more than backroom dealing. I work in the world of backroom deals and I can tell you from experience that transparency is worlds better. Posting how one feels on this thread and flagging it IS FAR MORE democratic than begging for favor in a U2U.

I vote either remove it entirely, or provide members with the option to turn it on (with the default being "off").

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Signing in with my mobile and this pop up thing WILL NOT CLOSE. I have to
chase it around the page and read fast before it catches up. So freaking irritating
but since atsmobile is down I have no choice if I want to stay up to date. That side bar
is horrible too when mobile. It is so annoying I have been visiting less and less. Maybe
mobile will be back soon...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Based on the private messages I received regarding the new features as each was rolled out, this was the most well-received as I have (in my saved box) nearly 30 messages praising the new feature, and none complaining about it.

No other well-liked new feature received even half of those unsolicited "thank you" messages, and no other new feature received ZERO complaints via private messages to at roll-out.

Given that initial response, we can gauge that far more members appreciate it than not. It's a simple matter to click the [close] link and not see it again until you've not been on ATS for more than six hours.

It would be alright if it actually "closed" when you click "close". Instead, it partially hides in the page, like its sticking out from behind the board.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I haven't seen a popup for a couple days now...anyone else? Is it gone?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I havent seen it for a day or so either. Maybe it will stay gone forever.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Signing in with my mobile and this pop up thing WILL NOT CLOSE. I have to
chase it around the page and read fast before it catches up. So freaking irritating
but since atsmobile is down I have no choice if I want to stay up to date. That side bar
is horrible too when mobile. It is so annoying I have been visiting less and less. Maybe
mobile will be back soon...

Try using bolt web browser or opera mini on mobile. Wont get the pop ups with them.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I think they are gone..... yaaaay! Thank you to whoever made it possible. I complained in this thread so now I will thank in this thread. I am so happy it's gone now.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Has it gone?

Did I miss it?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You seems to be gone for good.

At least we know this site does seem to value democracy.

Bet those 30 people that loved it are upset. Now they wont know how many post have been made by their imaginary friends

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join