It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Welcome Back" pop-ups - Can I turn this off?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
CHANGE LOG
October 21, 1:00 AM EST
- "Welcome Back" messaged integrated for returning members that summarizes recent activity

See this thread for information about features of the New ATS.

I visit ATS all the time and I find that I have no use for the information in the pop-up. I just close it right away, and it's starting to get a little annoying. I would block it or turn it off if I could. Is there an option to not have it come up anymore?

Pop-ups are an obnoxious way to deliver a message (as everyone who uses the internet knows...), and the "Welcome Back" message is not necessarily one that I would be interested in receiving every time I visit ATS, regardless of the medium by which it is delivered.

If anyone else feels the same way, please speak up. If I'm ignorant of an option to turn it off that already exists, please enlighten me.
edit on 11/6/10 by OnceReturned because: Added link to the thread about New ATS features.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I find it VERY annoying.

Wonder who's bright idea it was. I mean who would think anybody needs that info ?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
I find it VERY annoying.

Wonder who's bright idea it was. I mean who would think anybody needs that info ?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I agree, becoming VERY annoying, I searched for a few minutes the other night through the MY ATS and TOOLS options but couldn't find any way to shut it off.

Combined with the increased amount of superfluous and whiny threads on ATS lately, this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me as a user.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I agree.
It's very annoying and an option to turn it off would be nice.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind it so much if it were something that were integrated into the page instead of floating over it.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind it if it only happened once. I find it useful as it does give you some info but when I close it and go to another page it pops up again and that I find annoying.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think it is a reminder to each and everyone of us that life at ATS goes on without you/us/me. And this is annoying to say the least that there have been new threads made and new responses posted when I was not online..

I`d of never thunk that could happen. But thanks to that pop-up I can`t help but notice such a thing.

I do need your help though I found 44 of the new threads started but can`t find that 45th one. So if you can point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

edit on 11/6/2010 by Connman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yea i have been going nuts trying to figure out how to turn this off. I just use noscript (firefox) to stop it from happening.
edit on 6-11-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I do not care for it either. I close out immediately, then when i click on a new thread, it pops back up. Once is bad enough, but twice??!!
I could understand it (maybe) if I hadn't logged on in over 36 hrs or something like that . But even when I take a little break, it pops up.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'll add my name to the list too: I would like to turn it off. Site Admins, are you listening?
edit on 7-11-2010 by avocadoshag because: fixed spelling

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It is annoying. "ATS Recent Posts" is bookmarked in my toolbar. Anytime I'm on, I'm looking at the new posts. I don't need a pop-up telling me what I'm looking at.

Option to turn off, please!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I agree, very annoying to say the least.

I really don't want to be forced to use an adblocker on ATS, but I will if we continue to be bombarded with popups.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm adding my voice: I also find it extremely annoying.

Kind of like having to add a second line...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This was an item that was one of the most requested features prior to the ATS 2010 Launch.

Is it really too much trouble to simply click on where it says close?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
This was an item that was one of the most requested features prior to the ATS 2010 Launch.

I'm unfamiliar with that conversation, but I strongly suspect that the request was for information about what happened while we were offline, not for a pop-up specifically. The myATS page seems to me to be the logical location for this sort of information; it could be placed there in a totally unintrusive way. That would be preferable without a doubt; everyone who wanted this information would have it and everyone who is annoyed by the current mechanism would be satisfied as well.

A rational argument cannot be made that we should not have the option to turn this feature off.

Is it really too much trouble to simply click on where it says close?

It's certainly not the end of the world, but that same argument could be made about any pop-up.

I know that the people who make this site read these threads. This seems like an obvious, easy improvement to make. Either make an option to turn this feature off, or present the information in the myATS page. Why not?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I would like an option to disable that pop-up too, and perhaps the side menus as well. I feel ever since those side menus were added, the autoscroll scrolling (when you middle click your mouse wheel and move the mouse itself up/down to scroll) has gotten a bit choppy in Firefox. When I tested in IE (luckily not my browser of choice) it's even worst o.O

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

I like this feature - I click on new topics right off the bat which is what I do each morning! Please don't turn mine off!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Based on the private messages I received regarding the new features as each was rolled out, this was the most well-received as I have (in my saved box) nearly 30 messages praising the new feature, and none complaining about it.

No other well-liked new feature received even half of those unsolicited "thank you" messages, and no other new feature received ZERO complaints via private messages to at roll-out.

Given that initial response, we can gauge that far more members appreciate it than not. It's a simple matter to click the [close] link and not see it again until you've not been on ATS for more than six hours.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Based on the responses to this thread, it would seem that at least some of the members here don't like the feature. Can't we have the option to turn it off? If members like it, they can leave it on but to me it's very annoying to have it pop up like that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join