It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Welcome Back" pop-ups - Can I turn this off?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I would also like an option to turn off the pop up. I don't use it, I don't read it, I never will, and having to click CLOSE every single day is pretty annoying, to be honest. It's not necessary!

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Is there any way we could get a strobe effect on it with some good old fashioned midi tunes? Maybe have it move around when your mouse gets near the close button?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
definitely pretty annoying.
not difficult to get rid of, but annoying for sure.

i think the replies in this thread easily outweigh "30 private messages" 'praising' it. lol

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by avocadoshag
After thinking about this issue a bit, I think another option than merely on or off could be to use a mouseover (similar to the help icon on the "myATS" screen). Perhaps an icon somewhere that says "What's new?" and if you hover your cursor over it, the popup window appears.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Yarp, my idea 9 posts above yours

Originally posted by Kryties
Just had a thought...

Make the popup into a dropdown box on mousehover over a symbol or image. ie: Like the dropdown box that appears when hovering over the question mark (?) at the top of the MyATS page.

I'll shoosh now.

edit on 10/11/2010 by Kryties because: Copied wrong post

Sorry Kryties...didn't mean to steal your idea; great minds think alike!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
And it's still there...

Do you think we are on 'ignore'?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok, I just wanted to say that I am very annoyed with it also. It's pretty bad when I wait for it to pop up just so I can click it closed as soon as I log on. And yeah, it comes up twice for me too, once on login and then again when I click on the first thread I want to read. Please let us be able to disable it or something. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I also hate it. MAYBE if it simply came up one time... not TWICE.. that is irritating.
Please make it a forum option. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
yeah, pretty annoying .

I tend to navigate directly to the recent posts page, scroll down and open the threads I want to read in new tabs. When I open those tabs, there's the popup again.

I don't expect any change from site management. Good to know that we're expected to complain immediately to SO when there's something about the forum we don't like, though.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
are we more than 30 yet?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well let me add my voice to the chorus. I too would like a way to opt out of the pop up.

Its a very nice sentiment, and I appreciate the thought, but I dont find the information useful, and it is annoying.

I dont mean to be ungrateful, but since SO said he got lots on U2Us cheering it, I wanted to help ensure he got a fair representation by casting my vote.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I have to comment here also. I think it would be great to have the "option" to turn it off also. Plus my pop ups say to read my "9 friends" threads, and that is not right because I never added anyone to my friends list.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The other day I believe ten thousand of my friend sbegan threads, and for the past couple days nine friends have started threads. Is the info real or just made up or random?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The other day I believe ten thousand of my friend sbegan threads, and for the past couple days nine friends have started threads. Is the info real or just made up or random?

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You make a good point - I am frankly completely non-interested in how many new threads have started.

It just feels like spin and marketing lingo...that gets on my nerves and disappoints me, just as much as having to close them down every time I log in.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
perhaps if we sent pm's instead?

2nd line

~winter~

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yeah, what's up with the "9 friends" thing? I only have one friend here and haven't a clue who that is (must've clicked a wrong button once).

Beyond that, I have no use for the pop-up either.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't care for this feature either and it comes up twice for me as well. An off button for it would be very nice.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind the popup feature quite so much if it actually worked....but I get the "9 friends" message (I don't have 9 friends) and when I clicked on the link I found that none of the threads were in fact new ones. So, in effect, the popup is useless information.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So it has been 11 days since the first post. 4 pages. 57 flags. And still no change.

We just can't compare to the "nearly 30" PM's saying they like the pop up.

Or the earlier post was right saying a lot of time was spent making that pop-up and even if it causes cancer and raises zombie vampires from hell it isnt going to go anywhere.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Winterpain

I did send a U2U to SO letting him know I didn't like the new feature. Since his view that it was a popular feature was apparently based on 30 U2Us in favor, I reasoned that was the best way to let him know. I strongly suggest everyone posting here in this thread send him a U2U letting him know how you feel. Be nice though!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join